• Advertisement

JUST WONDER

henry

JUST WONDER

Postby henry » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:03 pm

we are going for two wks to Europe (50 yrs. class reunion) and wonder if somebody who is planning for self sufficient living would be interested to live in my place and experience it. Just to make sure animals have water, food, collect eggs atc. It would be real experience especially if you have kids.
end of MAY beginning of JUNE.I live outside of HUNTSVILLE.
Henry
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: JUST WONDER

Postby farmgal » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:21 pm

O I so hope someone takes you up on this.. what a great thing for the right person or family. If it was possible to take two weeks off my own farm, I would lol.. Have a great trip Henry
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 am

Henry when I first seen your post I thought, he must have lost his mind! Forget about animals, there is no way in hell I would let just anyone manage my property, I wouldn't let someone use my wood stove that I didn't know was already experienced with one. I want but don't have animals yet just because things happen and I could be gone for a while. Everything in my home is built to "fail safe" No one needs to be here and my pipes wont freeze, The power system just ticks along just fine....what I am saying is I would not have piece of mind knowing someone inexperienced (or no skin in the game) was caring for my property. When I reread your post I realized in your case you may get away with it as its June so they don't need to play with matches and two weeks isn't likely enough time to screw things up badly, though I would suggest tack welding the wood stove door shut anyway.

Actually even if I wasn't set up as well as I am , I am covered, I know people, have friends, neighbours who would cover things so I wouldn't worry, but this is a real issue for lots of rural or semi rural people. Being able to go away for lengths of time and having people competent and more importantly conscientious. Conscientious can make up for some lack of experience who they can trust to handle what every pops up.
1 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

henry

Postby henry » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm

I understand Your concerns but I just do not invite first person I get. I will meet them outside for coffee and trust me check carefully who they are.
I do not really need babysitter for my house, I have neighbor short trough the bush that we have each others house keys so they will watch, plus our
friends will check every couple days that everything is OK. i have feeders and water supply that is good for few days ,it is just too check and add what needed.
The whole idea is to give somebody chance to see that self sufficiency is not just collect eggs or if You want chicken meat you just grab chicken and put in the Owen,and you want tomato you just go to the garden. maybe they will see how much very hard work there is to be self sufficient.
Or just give somebody with kids that otherwise can not afford Holiday to have one free and food included.I grew up very poor and I know what it is.
May be I just pick somebody when I am helping serve food for the needy to have nice time for couple wks.
You just have to trust some people. you always get back what you put out.
Henry
4 x

Protector
Canada

Postby Protector » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:26 am

Gives me hope reading your last post Henry. Maybe one day I'll finally find enough good, hard working, giving and trusting people to form a real MAG! If times get tough or even if they don't. Most people just don't understand that you have to trust if you want good in this world. One family can make it through life just fine. Many families make a community :D
1 x
Don't let fear control you!

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:05 pm

Yes hard to find good people to form a mag. Been at it a long time. Started fresh out of the military and only a few part time people. But we do try to get together 1x a month all summer. Most like the idea. Just most don't really do much. Other then there own gear and so on. Plus none have tried it threw the winter. 2 yrs living off grid. Still getting all my ducks in a row.
1 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 pm

henry, you're a saint!
1 x

Return to “Ontario”