• Advertisement

Rifle Rookie

Wayne
Canada

Re: Rifle Rookie

Postby Wayne » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:09 pm

scrounger wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Remington 783?

I think that this rifle was an entirely new design by Remington in the effort to capture a lower price point conscious consumer. It comes equipped with a reinforced nylon stock with an adjustable trigger. It's my understanding that it provides a cost effective solution for many hunters.

I don't have experience with it, but have lots with it's big brother the Model 700. I used this in 7mm during counter-sniper training with the U.S. Secret Service. Since then, they've preferred to use the same rifle in 300 Winchester Magnum or 7.62 mm. Actually it's a Remington 700 action with an Accuracy International stock with Schmidt & Bender optics. I've already mentioned that 7.62 is the choice of the vast majority of tactical teams in NA for shots below 800 meters. The Barrett M82/M107 (light 50) is used up to 2000 meters.

As far as a survival weapon, it may come down to a single choice. What's the bottom line? Personal preference. Both the .270 and .308 (7.62 NATO) are great calibers. Both can get the job done. I have a bias for the .308 because after firing over 500,000 rounds I've gained confidence that the bullet will go where I want it to and the round will do the rest. Between these calibers It really comes down to the selection, availability and cost of the ammunition.
0 x

PaleSun

Postby PaleSun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:16 am

Well thanks for all info

I still have to choose Tikka vs Savage, and now there are thoughts about 270 vs 308. The choice is based on more concrete differences and preferences now.

Bedding the action/stock seems like it could be a way of offsetting what looks like manufacturing cost saving, though I'll watch plenty video before doing it alone. Check this video if you have the time, it's 36min, but this guy really sounds like he knows his stuff, and explains the process very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Z7ujjv89g

cheers everyone
David
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi David,

It would appear that this guy knows his stuff. I'm not a gunsmith, so I can't provide much by way of expert opinion. The police department had its own gunsmiths and we were prohibited from working on them ourselves. Handguns and Sniper rifles were individual issue while general tactical weapons like the MP5, shotgun, etc. were grab as required. Ammunition was unlimited and lots of practice was required during the work day.

I've had work done on my personal weapons (on the side), so never really have sought-out a gunsmith. Personally I wouldn't work on my own weapons unless a need existed. I want my weapons kept in the best shape as possible and not withstanding cleaning and general maintenance the best person to provide that is an experienced gunsmith and not me...
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:33 am

I have a Savage 64 and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was made right in Lakefield, in the factory that took over for Cooey, and the design is somewhat based on the Cooey 64.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Ontario”