• Advertisement

Rifle Rookie

PaleSun

Rifle Rookie

Postby PaleSun » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:28 pm

Hi everybody

If you're in the north, I hope your winter is going well. If you're in the south, well, sorry, there just isn't enough room up here for everyone :lol:

I finally passed the local long gun safety course so I'm hoping to pick up a couple rifles. For a long time I thought a Savage 270 would be a nice gun for deer but now I'm confused.

Sales guy at the local Big-Box outdoor store (Cabela) says, "there are fewer choices of ammunition for 270, like that may be a trend". Then tries to steer me toward a Tikka 270. About 50% more expensive.

I always thought a Savage 270 was a good quality rifle, but now their main seller is scope included for $600. Sorry that just sounds too cheap. The Tikka is $900 and obviously no scope. Scopes are expensive. So even a $500 scope + Tikka = $1400.

Has Savage quality been dumb-down? Would the pricier Tikka be a better choice?

Anybody know these 2 guns?
Thanks for any help
...and cheers everyone
0 x

Mule Skinner
Canada

Re: Rifle Rookie

Postby Mule Skinner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:40 am

Hello Pale Sun
With out knowing
a) what you are hunting
b) the area environment you are hunting in
c) your budget
d) the amount of time you will be spending on shooting
I have to say choose the gun in your price range, you can always up grade the scope later
Choose the gun for the amount of shooting you are going to be doing, daily, weekly, yearly ?????
You cant loose with the Savage as a starting platform
Why spend big bucks if your goona shoot a couple times a year or just go plinking on weekends

How can I say this I am a retired veteran
I own every thing from
a Tavor with a EoTech sight
a Robinson Arms XCR with a Bushnell Banner 3.5x36mm
an Axor MF2 12 guage
a BRS99
just a few but I also own
a single shot .22 cooie
a brake barrel 12 gauge
a Savage Axis 270

Why so many I shoot a lot but it takes time. Start with what you can afford is my best advice to you
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:46 am

The Tikka T3 .270 WSM is a solid choice. It's made by Sako in Finland who they have a good reputation for finely engineered weapons.

If I was to choose only one long gun it would be .308. 7.62 mm ammunition is plentiful. As a police Sniper this is what was used below 1000 yards. It's very accurate and deadly. It's the choice of most SWAT teams for medium to long-range shooting.

I would recommend that your first rifle be a .22 because of the low cost of ammunition. Shooting accurately is all about practice. It takes thousands of rounds to get to the point where I'd want to start consuming larger bore ammo.

Whatever choice you make, don't get discouraged. Good luck!
0 x

scrounger
Canada

Postby scrounger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm

Are you looking at a 270 or a 270 WSM?
0 x

PaleSun

Postby PaleSun » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:18 am

Thanks for the replies fellas :) Here's a bit more info to clarify...

I'm hunting deer, on my own rocky highland ground, shorter ranges. I figure 90-100m max (under 100yd). WSM not necessary. The terrain is mostly wooded at end stage succession - lots of mature oak & maple with plenty saplings below & between. There are also large ponds where those deer come to water.

This is not my first time firing a rifle, or hunting. It is my first time purchase now I passed the rifle safety course.

I could see having a .22 for sure. A little target practice. Pop a few bean cans, pop a rabbit into the pot for sure too. A .22 is not a budget concern.

Budget: Wayne, thanks for the comment about Tikka/Sako, and Mule Skinner too. I'm not into cheapo. I see no reason to buy cheap first, then buy quality later. $900 for the Tikka is not out of budget. I was mostly surprised that the Savage price was so low, and now they give you a scope too for that price. Their website does talk about a model 110 in a 270 cal (no scope and 750USD, sounds more realistic).

cheers
David
0 x

Clarence
Canada

Postby Clarence » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:23 am

Pale sun. The feel of the gun is one of the most important things. You want to experiment with bring it up to shooting position and work the bolt, lever etc. Everyone’s body, length of arms, neck is different, so pick a quite time and go try out a dozen or so. Wayne’s suggestions are excellent, especially the 22 for practice.
30-06 is another nice round.

Browning makes a very nice 308 lever action carbine. Short and a very nice to carry Bush gun that can do your shots you mentioned.

For scope, look at how easy it is to turn the zoom. You want nice knurl or knob that is easy to turn with bare hands and gloves. Bring a pair of gloves to the store so you can test. For those distances, look at 1.5 - 7. Or 3-9 power

Enjoy the sport
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:37 am

Mule Skinner wrote:just a few but I also own
a single shot .22 cooie

That's something I haven't heard in a while.The good old cooie. I would bet that in 22 put more meat on the table than many things in the old days.
I highly recommend those. They are rock paper scissors simple and reliable. Dirt cheap. I haven't bought any since the 80s but they were 40 to 80 dollars used at the gun stores back then. I found many had horrible triggers, felt much like driving over a speed bump but you could learn to give them a trigger job,and what better to learn on, and often a single bolt (screw )held the receiver/barrel to the stock, so it was easy to take down and put in a pack. I remember accu-glassing the receivers, floating the barrels and with a trigger job turning them into tack drivers, not that they were bad before but it was fun to "tune" them in to see what could be done. I don't know if they even manufacture them any more, I suspect not, but I wouldn't hesitate to consider a old cooie in 22. its not like the barrel is going to be shot out. Likely still are cheap, and what everyone this day and age seems to forget, is the most important shot you take is your first, make it count, I don't consider a single shot 22 a handicap, after all rabbits don't shoot back.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

BOA
Canada

Postby BOA » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:58 am

Whoa whoa whoa... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the savage axis .270. I own one, picked it up for some coyote shooting and it's turned into my regular hunting rifle. There is plenty of ammo available for the .270 in various weights, my particular rifle just happens to prefer the .150 gr rounds. The scope it comes with sucks so replace it when you get the chance but it will do the job until you do. The trigger... it's heavy so do the trigger mod which isn't very hard and ANYONE who is handy can do it with a pair of snips and some emery cloth. If you want more accuracy out of the gun without spending an arm and a leg... do a bedding job and you will be very surprised at the difference. For the money you won't find a better all around gun... it will handle deer with ease especially at the ranges you plan on shooting. The .270 is a popular round and has been around for a VERY long time, it's a field proven round with decades of history. The .270 is an easy round to reload as well with plenty of powder & projectile combo's to keep you where you want to be with whatever your hunting. Your good with short range and long ranges with this rifle and with the money you can save you can outfit yourself with a complete reloading kit to put you even farther ahead of the game. Hope this helps ya out and if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm.

Cheers.
0 x
Cheers,
BOA.

Just remember.... the Boy Scouts have been saying it for years.... Be Prepared!

scrounger
Canada

Postby scrounger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:01 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Remington 783?
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ngton-783/

Going back to the T3. They are selling the civvie version of this now. Although the Lee Enfield story was very cool.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=3808
0 x

scrounger
Canada

Postby scrounger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 pm

Lol Peppercorn, shooting a 22 cooey used to be as Canadian as changing your alternator in the parking lot of CrappyTire. I remember shooting pos Gevelot tracers and shotshells in them. Had to pry every other spent shell out after firing. Good times
0 x

Return to “Ontario”