• Advertisement

Getting started in NB

barn

Getting started in NB

Postby barn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:36 am

Hello all,

I'm just getting started in all of this. I work on the periphery of the financial services industry, and started following things pretty closely after the crisis in 2008. Then I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy and that pretty much sealed the deal.

Not into any of the conspiracies - if tshtf I'm pretty sure it will be due to good, old-fashioned incompetence and shortsightedness. I see a possible failure in the financial system leading to a deteriorating economic system, which reaches a crisis point and a population that begins to panic once the supply chain starts to go down. It will get bad slowly at first and then, after a while, very quickly. Things may start to settle out after the first winter or two. I'm not sure this is a likely scenario, but the risk is too large to ignore.

I have a couple of hundred kgs of beans, rice, oats, etc. from Costco stored in the basement. I have enough ammo that I really wouldn't want to survive a situation where it all gets used up. I've put some of my investments into pm, both paper and physical. Not a lot, but enough to have a small store of value outside $$$$.

I'm taking a bit of a traders approach - trying to figure out which commodities are cheap now but will be expensive then, and vice versa. For instance, money is expensive now but will be cheap if tshtf. Same for labour. Food and ammo are cheap now and will be expensive if and when.

Any tips given this way of thinking?

I need to increase the food supplies - anyone have a better source than Costco? I'd like to buy several hundred more kgs of food directly from a farmer or otherwise in bulk.

I'm thinking of getting a mortgage and buying 50-100 acres in southern NB, half cleared field/pasture, half wood lot.
0 x

cernunnos5

Re: Getting started in NB

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Good stuff, barn. I liked this quote, "Not into any of the conspiracies - if tshtf I'm pretty sure it will be due to good, old-fashioned incompetence and shortsightedness".
The only thing you might want to think about is the Mortgage part. I somehow don't think the debt collectors will just magically disappear. In fact I think they will get more mercenary and knee breaking, looking for any opportunity to foreclose on you and steal your work. If you have a mortgage, you don't really own it. The bank does. Better to have a small property that you own in full or can pay off in a couple years. Just food for thought.

I sent you a reply on the other post as well.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

barn

Postby barn » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:32 pm

I hear you on the mortgage - but I am not otherwise sufficiently liquid, and can't justify emptying my rrsp at this point in time.

I plan to hedge the mortgage with some gold and silver inside my rrsp (not an ETF, but an exchange trade receipt, which represents an actual holding of actual metal). If tshtf, I'll be out a paycheck, but if the dollar totally crashes relative to g&s, then I convert the metal back to $$$ and pay the bank out with the worthless cash. Obviously, this requires a fixed rate mortgage locked in for a longer term (i.e. 10 years).

This is part of my general "trader" approach - right now money is expensive (relative to when tshtf, when it will be worth little) and land is inexpensive/available (relative to when tshtf, when there will be huge demand). The mortgage "trade" allows me to take the right position - to get short on $$$ and long on land. The metal should hedge out the transition if things get interesting. If all goes according to plan, the bank takes the hit on the crash of the $$$, not me. If we all turn out to be paranoid lunatics and nothing happens, I'll pay out the mortgage in the normal course and have a 100 acre spread to enjoy during my retirement.

So goes the plan - we'll see how it plays out.
0 x

Collina

Postby Collina » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:20 pm

There are courses being put on by Niche woodworking in your area that help you get started homesteading and permaculture. Maybe check it out
0 x

Return to “New Brunswick”