• Advertisement

-40C and you're without Electricity, What would you Prep?

OldTimeGardener

Re: -40C and you're without Electricity, What would you Prep

Postby OldTimeGardener » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:39 am

I'm in with the wood stove folks, but don't forget firewood to go with it!
Preferably one you can cook on as well and with room enough on it to place a canner pot or the like, to heat water up in it.
Don't forget a good splitting maul as well.That tool will warm ya up in no time flat. ;)

And before you leave the store when buying your wood stove...go grab a couple extra firebricks. Darn right handy to set on the stove then wrap in a towel and shove under the blankets before you hop into bed. They don't explode like stones or boulders when heated. ;)

Also I agree with long johns, flannel shirt and slippers.
Now try with a couple layers more. :)
Sweat pants (might be a touch drafty just in long johns), sweat shirt over that flannel shirt which is over a fleece or thermal under shirt. Still cold..? Toss on a vest.
Layers are the best thing you can do as you can take a small amount off when to warm so not to sweat or add on if still chilly..

The big one ya'll forgot... is your head! ;)
Ya need a nice wool/fleece toque up top to stop the heat from leaving your body.
Fingerless gloves are great to keep hands warm while doing things inside.
Neck warmers are also great to stop heat from leaving your body or cold air sneaking down your neck.

Oh and those slippers? Put on a pair of wool socks, then the slippers. Might as well keep the ankles warm too. :)

When sitting around at night having a hot drink, put your feet up off the floor where the cold air likes to travel. Stools, whatever you have...doesn't have to be a footstool.

There's more I am sure...
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

OldTimeGardener

Postby OldTimeGardener » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:01 am

villager wrote:For slippers i've been using onsale, oversized felt bootliners ''
snip
Not as fashionable as pink bunnies, but i can still greet average folks who come to the door!

No that's where you are wrong, Iff'n you don't mind me saying so!

Get yourself to the $ store! Hit the isles where they have those cute little hair elastics. You can find bunnies on them, hearts and amount of fashionable articles to be found. Get several for everyday of the week, even.

Gosh you can even get some fancy pants stickers to adhere to them slippers.
Oh and look for the glow in the dark stickers. Those are very handy when you candle burns down and no lights and you need to find them. ;)

Lacking all that, find some ribbon to lace them thru. ;)
Heck you might even start a new trend Villager!!
Who sez they are not fashionable???
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:39 am

Well, dear, ya know, i've always favoured "form follows function", so ribbons 'n bows just ain't my thing.
But already i've improved my fashioned design with functional fur :
For 20 yrs. i've saved 2 arms cut off an old real-sheepskin coat,knowing there was a special place for these, and it dawned on me that these would complete the gaps in the design . I cut along the seams and will sew velcro straps to wrap around my dainty ankles' slippers and right up around my powerful calves.....
Now , i still have the rest of the coat....Shall i leave intact (and armless) for woodcutting flexibility, or make a lifetime set of real insoles for my workboots. ...ah, where does the time go?
Folks, scour the thrift shops for these old relics and have your way with them.
....so nice to collaborate!! :)
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:37 pm

Here is a cautionary tale. 3 dead of carbon monoxide poisoning. http://news.ca.msn.com/canada/video/?vi ... 4234419200
What not to use in an enclosed space. Don't use those little heaters in a tent either. We had a close to home death on that one
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Return to “Newfoundland and Labrador”