• Advertisement

-40C and you're without Electricity, What would you Prep?

cernunnos5

Re: -40C and you're without Electricity, What would you Prep

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 am

This is CANADA, dude. Not Florida. Not California. Its a no brainer. You MUST have a wood stove....even in a city. Even in an apartment. Even if you must smash out a window or bricks to run a stove pipe out of it....you must have a back up woodstove. You live in NF. This is not an option. I have a friend that lived up north. When the power went out, they had to make plans to evacuate the entire city. No shit. Forget the techno fixes. Hypothermia kills faster than starvation or dehydration.

Here is a worst case scenario. Set up your dome tent in your house. Humans throw a lot of BTUs in a small space. Toss blankets or carpets over it. Pull your mattress inside for bottom insolation. Do a fire outside to heat water for a water bottle like lgsbrooks says or any water container. A heated boulder is even better. It retains heat better than water. Heated sand in a pot will do....and put it in your bed with lots of covers. Don't dis the blankets. Have cupboards full of them. I have one wrapped around me as I speak. Ived lived through three alberta winters in a van with no propane, under a foot of blankets with candles to burn off the condensation. You need blankets under you as well. It sucks to live that way but it can be done. My badly insulated house is heated entirely with wood. Its still cold. I cant say enough about hoodies. That's all I got.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:39 am

Wood stove in the basement.
I can drain the water pipes and abandon the upper floors if need be and can do with a few solar lights to ward off the darkness but at least we would be warm and dry with the guns and stored food close at hand.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm

I'm with C5...
I also heat with wood and ya, it can get chilly at times, especially in the morning.
Warm clothing is a must...don't expect to walk around the house in your underwear.
Long johns, flanel shirts, and hoodies rule!
In the winter, we also use a lot of blankets.
They get pulled out of storage just before heating season and there is at least on draped over every seating spot in the living room and extras on all the beds.
One thing I haven't seen mentioned is slippers...keeping your feet warm goes a long way to feeling comfortable.
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Captain_Ambiguous wrote:
livingpower wrote:
Captain_Ambiguous wrote:Just blankets pretty much. Provided civilization hasn't ended, I can't think of much reason to need anything else. Maybe a radio with a pack of batteries.

During the ice storm that hit southern ON through the east coast last December, thousands of people lost power. This was during an extended cold snap and some people were without electricity for close to two weeks. Even if civilization hasn't fallen, thought should be given to preparing more than just blankets.

I endured something similar in the 90s, back in Newfoundland. Don't recall anyone dying. We weren't even that uncomfortable. In most cases a blackout is just a blackout. So yeah...blankets.

Now if we're talking electromagnetic pulse that takes out power EVERYWHERE, including the food packaging plants and distribution network, well yeah that's a disaster. If such an event came during a cold snap then you'd want plenty of warm jackets, boots, gloves, hats, etc. I'm in the process of gathering more of those. Everything else is just general prepping, IE cooking stove, hunting rifle, and so on.

I disagree entirely. Like C5 says, this is Canada. If you don't have a source of heat for a week in frigid temps, you will suffer. You do not need an EMP or something permanent to freeze to death. There were people in the GTA in December who died trying to keep warm because they weren't set up properly and did not have the required knowledge. It is imperative to have a backup and I agree that wood is the way to go. All suggestions of blankets, warm clothes, long underwear, slippers, and closing off sections of the house are also essential.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 pm

AMEN. SHTF Tactical Slippers. Ive been looking for a set with Bunny Ears for a few years now. Nothing will scare the crap out of looters more than Me in Bunny Slippers.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Captain_Ambiguous

Postby Captain_Ambiguous » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

C5 also said he lived in a van, and he's still here. But I'm not going to argue the point. If you have a house with a wood stove, or you want to have one professionally installed then that's great. I will too one day.

But beware of "emergency" solutions like improvised wood stoves and gas devices that weren't meant for indoor use. You're more likely to die from burning the house down or carbon monoxide poisoning than you are from hypothermia inside an insulated house.

Speaking of insulated houses, there is one more thing. Have plastic sheeting, tarps, or plywood, just something to seal up broken windows when and if they happen.
0 x

livingpower

Postby livingpower » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm

Captain_Ambiguous wrote:C5 also said he lived in a van, and he's still here. But I'm not going to argue the point. If you have a house with a wood stove, or you want to have one professionally installed then that's great. I will too one day.

But beware of "emergency" solutions like improvised wood stoves and gas devices that weren't meant for indoor use. You're more likely to die from burning the house down or carbon monoxide poisoning than you are from hypothermia inside an insulated house.

Speaking of insulated houses, there is one more thing. Have plastic sheeting, tarps, or plywood, just something to seal up broken windows when and if they happen.

I agree with you there. If you are gonna use a backup, then be sure you know what you're doing. One day I too will have a wood stove, until then, blankets will be a big part of the plan. I am looking into portable wood stoves that can be used safely indoors in a pinch. Perhaps another type of heater that doesn't run on electricity. This is my main concern with emergencies and SHTF.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:38 pm

cernunnos5 wrote:AMEN. SHTF Tactical Slippers. Ive been looking for a set with Bunny Ears for a few years now. Nothing will scare the crap out of looters more than Me in Bunny Slippers.

Now there's an image I'll never be able to get out of my head!
0 x

villager
Canada

Postby villager » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:02 am

For slippers i've been using onsale, oversized felt bootliners regularly for winters in the house already, with 2 felt boot insoles in each, and the outside bottoms are painted with liquid latex from a carpet supplier. With wool socks on , i keep the liners slit-flaps closed with 2 elastics or those black metal 2" paper spring clips. An option is to pull a plastic shopping bag over and tied up top....but only till feet start to sweat, and to avoid stepping into wet puddles tracked in from outside, or cooking/washing.
Not as fashionable as pink bunnies, but i can still greet average folks who come to the door!
0 x

N8tureboy

Postby N8tureboy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:22 am

Don't know about the Bunny Slippers, but my Chicken Hat is pretty intimidating. All Jokes aside, My plan is a wood stove, using a generator for Aux heat and other appliances. We had another 6 hour outage the other day, another good thing to have...Extra Pull Cord for your generator...... (Don't get me started). Improvised heat sources = Bad... During the outages on the island this winter, there were many cases where injury and death was the result of using improper indoor heating.
0 x
Coming at ya from the Coldlands of Canada

Return to “Newfoundland and Labrador”