• Advertisement

Looking to meet like minded individuals...

farmgal
Canada

Re: Looking to meet like minded individuals...

Postby farmgal » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:37 pm

ah, you guys are so making me miss Yellowknife, so many good memories from my years in nwt and nunavut
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Bigfoote
Canada

Postby Bigfoote » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:44 pm

Hello, new to this group but have been prepared for most anything for a long time. I have lived off grid for 12 years now. I have wood heat, and have been storing food mostly by buying sales to keep the grocery bill down, but now I have a substantial supply. I also have a cabin 50 miles from any town that is usually stocked with a couple months food. Just wanted to say hi, I'm in the south Slave, been here 24 years.
0 x

North of 60

Postby North of 60 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:18 pm

OpPrepared wrote:Hello all. Recently moved from Central Ontario to the NWT. I am former military and have always enjoyed Camping, Hiking. In Ontario, being just north of Toronto my biggest fear was a combination of prolonged power outages and dirty bombs, and my solution has always revolved around bugging-in at the family cottage and/or bugging out northward. Now I'm in the arctic, I'm forced to rethink my planning.

I'm no longer concerned about dirty bomb threats, since there is very little here to attack, but very concerned with prolonged power outages, utilidor system breakdowns, etc. I have spent my life 'prepping', training in many various martial arts, spending four years in the Canadian Forces and always focusing around having a decent camping set-up that could dual-purpose as a bug-out kit.
Since a lot of my stuff is in storage in Ontario I'm rebuilding my capability here, focusing around cold weather survival and food stores.

I'm hoping to meet other like-minded people, especially from the various communities in the Beaufort Delta.

Hi there - I live in Inuvik as well. Are you still here, or has the economy driven you out?
Have you managed to get more of your stuff up from Ont?
We should chat.

North of 60
Inuvik, NT
(Been here 25+ years. Where do I get banished to next?)
0 x

Bigfoote
Canada

Postby Bigfoote » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:10 am

Anyone still here? Just wondering where you are from, I'm in Fort Smith.
0 x

Coyote flats

Postby Coyote flats » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:32 pm

diazjoe wrote:Hello, everyone, I just moved to Hay River about 8 months a go from Toronto, I had been thinking of prepping myself for quite a while, nothing specific just cos. I also live in the high rise building and it could be a rough place to live..

Hi are you still in Hay River?
0 x

Bigfoote
Canada

Postby Bigfoote » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Greetings.
I'm in Smith, preparing as most NWT'ers are. I do have a place to go out of town, and spend enough time there that I could stay a year or so no problem. I'm just out of town, already off grid so prepping comes natural here. With forest fires and such we get cut off from supplies once in a while already but I'm amazed some people couldn't make the week without trouble.
0 x

100AcreWood
Western Sahara

Postby 100AcreWood » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:55 am

Hello,

I see this thread has sort of faded away.

I currently live in Yellowknife and am prepping some basics - water, food, fuel, wood/woodstove, tools. It seems that the more I work toward being self-reliant, the more work there is left to do. It is strange that it takes so much effort to be able to accomplish exactly what the majority of people 150 years ago called "daily life."

Is anybody out there?
0 x

term0shad
Canada

Postby term0shad » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:48 am

Reason they had big families. Some lived close to help each other out. No way 1 person can do. Shit we are like 80% off grid. Still work the other 20% there 2 of us and still to much work. Hopefully will get a few others to join group in the new yr. Not just summer weekend people.
0 x

Return to “Northwest Territories”