• Advertisement

The island of Nova Scotia?

Joe_O
Canada

The island of Nova Scotia?

Postby Joe_O » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:04 am

Interesting article today on the CBC. The mayors of Sackville NB and Amherst NS (m old hometown) both part of the article. As is Cumberland/ Colchester MP Bill Casey whom I used to know.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... entwrapper
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Re: The island of Nova Scotia?

Postby Wayne » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 pm

Hey Joe, Greetings from Cow Bay! I don't know how many years Nova Scotia has, but it's a lot more than PEI's got. I live about 2 kilometers from the ocean, so I wont be able to enjoy seaside property in my lifetime...

"The director of the Climate Research Lab at the University of PEI, Fenech and colleagues at Simon Fraser University had just completed a project called Coastal Impacts Visualization Environment (CLIVE).

The idea behind CLIVE was simple: turn what was confidently known about coastal erosion rates, sea-level rise and Atlantic storm activity and upload it into a 3D video-game engine that generates a bird’s eye view of how PEI’s coast is expected to change over time.

Fenech’s first chance to publicly demonstrate the tool was on Earth Day in 2013 at an event in Charlottetown. The audience, he said, wasn’t prepared for what they saw.

“The gasps were so loud,” recalled Fenech, who visually simulated what water levels would be 30, 60 and 90 years from now. At each 30-year interval, the ocean gobbled up more land, property and infrastructure. A thousand homes disappeared, as did light houses, golf courses and water treatment plants."

https://www.thestar.com/business/2015/1 ... hange.html
1 x

Joe_O
Canada

Postby Joe_O » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 am

Hi Wayne,
Thanks for commenting. I do recall reading a couple of articles out of PEI that talked about this. And it was alarming for sure.
The section of land in question for Nova Scotia, it is extremely low elevation. I grep up right in that area, in Amherst. The part connecting New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, you can paddle a lot of it now by canoe or kayak, it has been that way for centuries. Hopefully I'll get a closeup view next summer. Hoping to come home to Nova Scotia and circumnavigate the entire province by sea kayak. The land section of course being a paddle/ portage combination. Working on the expedition plans now actually.

Cheers... Joe O'
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Postby Wayne » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 am

That sounds like a great trip! I have a son that's into Sea Kayaking. He's got the climate for it in Vancouver. I never tried it, but was into whitewater kayaking when I was younger. Enjoy the trip and take care.
1 x

Return to “Nova Scotia”