• Advertisement

2008...Again...Um...Alert...I guess?...

peppercorn

Re: 2008...Again...Um...Alert...I guess?...

Postby peppercorn » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Conclusion is not based on the single variable (population)though that's all I posted and a striking example...even if population stops and holds, The damage we have done and are doing is not reversible...you cant bring back a extinct species of animal or plant and the trajectory of loss right now, let alone into the future, is exactly what I would expect from a population consuming its capital.

http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/prog ... on_crisis/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/human ... y-1.806872

now for a lighter look at things

THE GLOBAL RECESSION

The recession has really hit everybody really hard.

· My neighbour got a pre-declined credit card in the mail from Capital ONE.

· CEO's are now playing miniature golf.

· Exxon-Mobil laid off 25 Congressmen.

· A stripper was killed when her audience showered her with rolls of pennies while she danced.

· If the bank returns your cheque marked "Insufficient Funds," you need to call them and ask if they meant you or them.

· McDonald's is selling the 1/4 ouncer.

· Angelina Jolie adopted a child from America.

· Parents in New York and San Francisco have fired their nannies and are learning their children's names.

· My cousin had an exorcism but couldn't afford to pay for it, and they re-possessed her!

· A truckload of Americans was caught sneaking into Mexico.

· A picture is now only worth 200 words.

· When Bill and Hillary travel together, they now have to share a room.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:09 pm

...and on the Canadian front http://wolfstreet.com/2015/09/04/office ... ower-glut/

I figure if you haven't sold your house by now you are sort of screwed....
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:09 pm

This hasn't gone away yet. Here is a read that I will just call "Consequence". 35,000 job losses in the energy field in Alberta.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/busin ... .html?_r=1

Forget about Syrian Refugees. Prepare for Refugees from Alberta. We are already in talks with one family from Alberta to stay with us as unpaid caretakers.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:22 pm

Well for Alberta, northern half (don't know about elsewhere) the concensus is that this slowdown is maybe the worst seen since the early 80's....Welders and pipefitters that's just expected that they will be laid off, but now I am finding friends getting laid off, ones with decades at major companies...not the type that can be replaced with a phone call, or posted job add when things turn around. The depth and breadth of the slow down is spreading here.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:35 am

C5 you should change that title to "1982...again" the only thing different is interest rates.
I was in the big city today and 82 ave from roughly 45th street west, and on aryll same thing west of 50th street if you look close business after business has closed down. Lots of available commercial space sitting empty. I notice these things as I sometimes have had to lease a warehouse, so I keep my eye on such things. There is still some construction projects going forward but from the looks of it, its projects the ground was already broke for.. and everywhere I went the businesses were not busy, not like it was or you would expect for the Christmas season.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:27 am

There is a main thing that is different from the 80s. Pre 80s growth wasn't driven by Chinese growth. 2008 was about the bursting of the Derivatives market bubble. 20015 is about the bursting of the Chinese Growth bubble. "Demand Destruction" is the phrase to remember. Oil Sands and fracking was sort of a mental illness like being bipolar. Now that alberta is forced back onto its meds...depression follows...and a long evaluation of the damage caused during the manic phase. I don't know about you, but there is not a single place in alberta that I would be willing to drink well water.

But that's a different subject.

I keep getting reminded of earlier posts I did on what a Slow Crash looks like as opposed to a fast crash. It was theoretical then. Its not so theoretical now in the new normal that people are "getting used to". I've heard people that never heard of a slow crash using terms like a stealth crash. Ive been looking for better, more appropriate terms. Kaleidoscope crash is what comes to mind.

" the end of cheap energy, the decline of industrial agriculture, currency collapse, economic "depression," wars, famines, disease epidemics, infrastructure failures, and extreme unpredictable weather.
If that's all we get, the crash will be slower and more complex than the kind of people who predict crashes like to predict. It won't be like falling off a cliff, more like rolling down a rocky hill. There won't be any clear before, during, or after"
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:55 am

cernunnos5 wrote:There is a main thing that is different from the 80s. Pre 80s growth wasn't driven by Chinese growth. 2008 was about the bursting of the Derivatives market bubble. 20015 is about the bursting of the Chinese Growth bubble. "

for Alberta in all the time I have been here oil price is all that matters, what sends it up or down doesn't mater much, I have seen it all...and will again... I am a big fan of the down times, bought my first property in the crash of the early 80s. CMHC was repossesing so many homes it seemed like they owned half of Edmonton at the time, and they were desperate to sell them. I bought one and wound up with mortgage payments less than the rent I was paying at the time, its not like that yet, may not get like that, but its getting rough for some.
Was in Ponoka today, and it seemed quiet in the stores, Leduc seemed busy in the stores, but when I hit Edmonton it was quiet again...people are hanging on to cash. It will be a quiet Christmas for retailers, though I heard on the news the rest of Canada is out of Recession, must be true!
0 x

edibleforestguy
Canada

Postby edibleforestguy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:26 am

There will be trouble. When trouble and how much trouble, who knows. We live in the financial crisis 2008-2015 and counting. The Central Banks still have the global economies on life support, with artificially low interest rates and money creation. Of course, every thinking person knows that's a problem. The creation of money doesn't create wealth. It has always ended badly. Of course, the way to protect family wealth is through real assets, be it precious metals or farmland. We can hope and pray the problems start later than sooner. I don't want my previous metal holdings to "go up" in value. The day they start truly going up, is the day the true underlying problems are recognized. That won't be a happy time for anyone. Especially not for those with retirement funds tied up in government debt. A rural retreat is a smart thing to have.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:38 am

Up to the big city today, lunch with friends....one laid off, one a car salesman, one a realestate agent, Car and truck sales are way down, homes arnt getting offers, viewings are way down....my friend who a year ago had head hunters calling him, hasn't had a response from any prospective employers....I have seen adds where a free months rent is offered with a 1 year lease...I haven't seen that since about 86.....went to Sherwood park and on baseline road, prime commercial properties sitting empty....
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:51 pm

peppercorn wrote:Up to the big city today, lunch with friends....one laid off, one a car salesman, one a realestate agent, Car and truck sales are way down, homes arnt getting offers, viewings are way down....my friend who a year ago had head hunters calling him, hasn't had a response from any prospective employers....I have seen adds where a free months rent is offered with a 1 year lease...I haven't seen that since about 86.....went to Sherwood park and on baseline road, prime commercial properties sitting empty....

That is what $36 / barrel will do to an oil-driven economy that failed to diversify during good times. I grew up in gold-rich northwest Quebec where people go from brand new tricked up enormous pick up trucks (with matching new Skidoos in the back) to food back clients based solely on the price of gold. My 9 years in AB were a sore reminder of my childhood. Nonetheless, this is still better than my current "neck of the woods" in south east USA where the economy is deplorable yet people everywhere live on credit. Banks (private businesses) will eagerly finance your used 5 year old Kia over 10 years at 7% for you.
0 x

Return to “Nova Scotia”