• Advertisement

Grateful Dead Hedge

cernunnos5

Grateful Dead Hedge

Postby cernunnos5 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:51 am

I hate giving survival advice that I haven't proven over several years...but once again, I am problem solving. Permaculture means feeding the soil instead of just taking from it. Thus, animals and their management. Food comes out. Poop has to go back in. Animal management means keeping them where they can do the most good and keeping them out of your hard work that they will trash. Unless you are willing to be a 24\7 hearder...that means fencing...and expensive fencing material isn't going to be around forever. It may be around but lest say you cant afford it. So, what to do? Fencing has become ....top level survival information that we need to figure out.

A few of my friends, independently, started doing traditional woven fences a couple years ago, myself included. I knew the materials wouldn't last that long in our climate...but you gotta work with what you got. I have a new section I want to fence so I can put the pigs into to till and fertilize (and keep the chickens...and dear out of) so what to do. I spent the day searching for long, straight, material today, to do another woven fence. Not enough for the job. Maybe if I copis the crap out of a lot of scrub trees and wait five years for it to grow back tall and straight...but I have to solve this problem now. So what do we have in abundance. Left over scrub wood. We have a rather large food forest. I can gather several tons of food from it...but no one tells you, you have to manage it or faster growing trees will choke out, kill and feed apon the trees you want to keep. That means a lot of scraggly waist product. Same if you cut your own firewood. All the extra stuff.

This is where The Dead Hedge comes in. Using that stuff. I will give you folks photo documentation as I build one and report on my experience as the years pass...but until that happens...here is some great photos

https://www.google.ca/search?q=dead+hed ... dead+hedge

C5 Rule of Survival- Good fences make good neighbours. If you cant make a fence, you might be a lousy neighbour.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

cernunnos5

Re: Grateful Dead Hedge

Postby cernunnos5 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:58 am

I suppose, for those more interested in fighting than food, Oy vey, this is also a defensive barrier with a long history. http://www2.westsussex.gov.uk/environme ... dgerow.pdf
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Nice, and the great thing is that you could create pots of soil on the none critter side and use it as a vertal growing wall and no one would blink twice if you choose the right plants..

I know that most folks laughed their rears off at me the first couple years here on the farm, I did not have fences, and it takes time to dig those posts, and afford to buy the posts and so forth.. (we had no place as they drove by as my sheep and goats where in collars tied to tires, small young ones, one tired, big strong ones, two looped together or a bigger tire with a tree stump tied on it and so forth.. if I could find it on the farm, and it helped me create the right weight for each of them, it was good.. what I wanted was a weight that was heavy enough that they would not want to pull it and if they did pull it three to five feet was the max.. now clearly, you need to watch your livestock as you just set them up to be perfect food for the wild critters and you do not want to leave them on it all the time.. so they need a proper pen with shelter, you can cut and take things to them there to munch on, garden scapes, pruning trimmings and just straight cut greens, but I figured out depending on the time of the year how long they needed on their tires and they would be run as a routational pasture.. worked really well.. time intense yes, but worth it.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:50 pm

O and yes, that food forest, you can not just let it sit there.. you have to work at it each and every year to keep it in balance, it is not a plant it and forget it.. it takes its own learning curve to find that correct balance act.. I am not knocking it, its great! but its more work then most folks think!
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:25 am

Farmgal! Farmgal! Farmgal! We have missed you. I have missed you. You are such an important part of IPN. You made so many people feel welcome. Sucking up seams so much more important to me than a good reply to your reply :P
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:16 am

hi C5, I have just been busy, broken foot slowed me down, lost my step-dad went west to help mom for almost two months, did keep the big local meet going in the summer, can you believe we are going to have our 5 year this coming summer, its going to be a great line up and another full day event..

I have popped in and out but been reading mostly, but thanks for the warm welcome back! Loved your post, such great info on the dead hedge, hope its all going well for you and yours?

Speaking of interesting things, have you started working on any plant landrace programs yet?
0 x

Adagio
Canada

Postby Adagio » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:03 am

I will second C5's glee. Good to see you posting again.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:10 am

you guys are sweet, all the new folks will like, farmgal? lol

I will try and pop in once a day again and start posting again, its quiet right now
0 x

Return to “Nova Scotia”