• Advertisement

C5s Promised Final Post- So Long And Thanks for all the Fish

cernunnos5

C5s Promised Final Post- So Long And Thanks for all the Fish

Postby cernunnos5 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:38 pm

C5s Final post.

Well…it took a while…but hopefully it is worth the wait.

This is a long one folks but stick with it as there will be plenty of survival advice. I will tie all of my post together and the reasons I have done them.

Yup. I have called it quits as to Blogging and posting.

Its sort of my own fault. By about last year when I saw what this was doing to me, I tried to give myself a rule- “Never Read The Comments! Never Read The Comments! Never Read The Comments!”…Unfortunately…..I read comments. (not necessarily here. Far worse on other sites)

For me to have given some of my advice on prepping and basically being a SME (subject matter expert), I sort through A LOT of information…so I am constantly being exposed to…the truly fucked up shit that people say online. Unfiltered thoughts without consequence. Exposed, pure human evil and ignorance.

Don’t even get me started on the PAID trolls. Yes. The oil industry and other corporations pay full time trolls. They spent a lot of money learning what buzz words manipulate you….and you are being used and turned into the “ useful idiots”…

The internet is the perfect medium for the democratisation of lies.

Here is my problem of being online. At my core I am a fighter. I have an acute viciousness that must be tempered at all times.(Not a particularly useful, helpful or safe temperament) My natural tendency is to confront and destroy. A few of you have seen me destroy and publicly humiliate people online. It had to be done so I did it and they are gone….but it is exhausting. I hate being exposed to that. And the world is full of assholes.

That the assholes win in the end has always been a given to me.

I hate being exposed online. I am no pillar of virtue. I am not one of the good guys. To have my survival advice noticed, I realised I had to expose myself. Both the good parts and the bad. The fantacy image of pious, patriotic, religious preppers fighting for virtue, patriarchy and theocracy if only the Heroes would take up arms, needed to have its head, unceremoniously stomped into the ground. It is always the Heroes that commit the great atrocities of history.

And the Heroes (assholes) have found the perfect medium for growth. The combination of internet, the 2008 financial crisis and a bunch of people desperately looking for survival advice. What could possibly go wrong?....

Back to my online burnout. Just too many assholes to fight.
I am going to cut and paste a bit of an article…that got around because others noticed it as well…

Cassandras Legacy- How the greatest technology ever developed backfired on us –(full article- http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.ca/2016 ... loped.html )

“Then, the Internet and the social media came and they democratized lying. Now everyone could lie to everyone else simply by sharing a message. Truth didn't come anymore from the trust in the people who were transmitting it, but from the number of "likes" and shares a message received. Truth can't possibly be the same as virality, but it appears to have become exactly that in the general perception: if something is shared by a lot of people, then it has to be true.

So, today, we are lied continuously, consistently, and gleefully by about everyone and just about everything. Half truths, pure inventions, distortions of reality, word games, false flags, skewed statistics, and more are the communications we face every day. The tsunami of lies that's crashing upon us is nearly unimaginable and it has consequences, dire consequences. It is making us unable to trust anything and anyone. We are losing contact with reality, we don't know anymore how to filter the innumerable messages we receive. Trust is a major issue in human life; not for nothing, the devil is said to be "the father of lies" (John 8:44). And, indeed, what the anthropologist Roy Rappaport called "diabolical lies" are those lies that directly tamper with the very fabric of reality. And if you lose track with reality, you are lost yourself. That that may be what's happening to all of us.

Some of us find it easiest simply to believe in what they are told by governments and lobbies; others move into a generalized mistrust of everything; easily falling victim of opposite lies. Diabolical lies are fractal, they hide more lies inside, they are part of bigger lies. Consider an event such as the 9/11 attacks in New York; it is by now hidden behind such a layer of multiple lies of all kinds that what really happened that day is impossible to discern, and perhaps destined to remain such forever.

So, we are back to the "boy who cried wolf" issue. We are the boy, we are not trusting anyone, we are not trusted by anyone, and the wolf is here for real. The wolf takes the shape of global warming, of resource depletion, of ecosystem collapse, and more, but most of us are unable to recognize it, even to imagine that it could exist. But how to fault those people who have been cheated so many times that they decided that they won't believe anything that comes from even a marginally "official" channel? This is a major disaster and it is occurring right now, in front of our eyes. We have become one of those ancient deer destroyed by the weight of their stupendous horns. Language is playing a trick on us, backfiring on us after having been so useful for us.

We often believe that technology is always useful and that new technologies will save us from the disasters befalling on us. I am starting to think that what we need is not more technology but less. And if language is a technology, it seems to me that we are having too much of it, really. We are hearing too many speeches, too many words, too much noise. Perhaps, we all need a moment of silence. Perhaps Lao Tzu saw this already long ago when he wrote in the Tao Te Ching (**)

Much speech leads inevitably to silence.
Better to hold fast to the void”

So, I need to hold fast to the void for awhile.

But before I go I should sum up my Survival Advice…and why its often counter to the parroted popular prepping advice floating around as expert advice.

Lets start by talking about who the people who invented this survival advice are. In many cases, it was created by people preparing for war. The opposite of survival. Read that line again.

Three, main groups. Christian Reconstructionist, White Supremacists and traumatised ex-Military men.

Constitutional Preppers are just a watered down version of those three. Religious war against the antichrist, Race war or just feeling the need to be valued. These groups wait patiently for government to fall so they can rise up to enforce their will. Period!
Sooooo. Their survival advice is some version of, “Run Away, Hide, Kill any threat…and wait for the great die off of unbelievers. Secret trials and executions follow….

Now, modern prepping has moved away from these excesses, but not the methodology.

So, when I hear posts about how preppers want to get together and “Train”, I want to go to the shed, grab a shovel, put it in their hands, point to an untilled area and tell them to train away. Or put a hammer and saw in their hands after explaining what shelving is for. Or take the bug out bag out of their hands and explain how to use a phone book to find a moving company and realtor. .

When you hear terms like Training, Opsec, Bug Out, Going to ground, Fortification, Patrolling, Escape and evasion, Tactical, Etc, Etc, Etc, Yada, Yada, Blah, Blah, ….You pretty much know you are following the advice of those three influential groups. And whether you now it or not…You…are being recruited.

Me, going on grid and starting to share a bit of my experience, came about because I was looking at what survivalists were selling to the new youngsters in the aftermath of 2008, seeking prepping advice, and me going “YIKES”. After some thought about it, my starter advice was something like, “Get a bicycle, dude. You will need it. I know. You are all about to become A LOT poorer.”

You see, if you start there, with a bicycle, instead of a bunch of war gear, your entire world view, life expectations and prepping path change substantially. Its more of a symbol. A self-empowerment tool. An acknowledgement that you might lose all of the privileges you once had and are willing to ADAPT.
An example, I have used before.- A popular YouTube “prepper expert” put out a video saying, “Sorry. I cant do any more Prepper videos because I cant afford to buy any more guns to show you. I just lost my job. I am about to lose my house (behind him was the big suburban Barbie dream house). I guess they will repossess the truck as well. I cant afford the gas for it anyhow. ”
All I can respond is, “Your survival advice is shit, dude.”

Dude, I could bitch slap you all day about how your Rambo advice is bad, M’kay, or I could try to help you adapt. Here is how I can best help you adapt to your new found roll of not having the god given privilege you were sure was your birth right.

http://www.leannebrown.com/ -Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day

My only advantage is that I had life go terribly wrong early…and then had life go terribly wrong on a regular basis. The short form is that…I am pretty inoculated to the things that make many people eat their gun. Best to get your break down done early. Its pure Dmitry Orlov.

Collapse Early and Often- http://cluborlov.blogspot.ca/2016/01/my ... early.html

So. Start by buying a good quality BIKE. Spend no less than 500$. Those cheap ScamMart bike are not bikes. They are disposable kids toys. They are Breeder Trash. They are only good as a back up bike incase you lose your quality bike. Its better to buy these crap bikes used for 40$. Your quality bike should not have shocks, hydraulic brakes or balloon tires. These are for sports, not hauling stuff over distances. Get the strongest racks you can afford. DO NOT camo or tacticool it. At best, you look like a Rambo wanabe idiot. At worst, an insurgent spy inviting interrogation. Stop thinking of it as a Bug Out backup and start thinking of it as a way to get around and transport stuff when you have very limited resources. I’ve seen people move furniture on bikes. I have definitely hauled lumber on them and water. (Oh Yah. A bike should never be left in the yard or porch or even a shed. You wouldn’t leave your rifle there, would you? A good bike requires the same level of care)

Now after a few years of retrospection…being, most of us at IPN are living in Canada…your first major prepping purchase should probably have been a woodstove . Even if you are not allowed to use one in your home or apartment, its best to have one in the closet that you can pipe out a window in a REAL freezing emergency. That will start you thinking about the importance of a chainsaw and proper gas storage, bow saws and wood storage. If your waterpipes freeze, you are in a world of hurt.

The next set of skills I chose to teach was a bit of a logic jump. It was a problem solving experiment I set my mind to. This would set the direction of my series. I wasn’t doing this for spoiled, rich, white, upper middle class, consumers that could just buy survival and gloat about how they were better than everyone else,on Youtube. It was meant for the un prepared and under prepared. I kept seeing these comments on other people pages that whent something like this. “I would like to prepare…but I can barely afford to feed my family” or “I would like to prepare…but the Shit has already hit the fan for us and we just lost our jobs and the house.”

I wasn’t just going to write these people off. There were skills these people could employ…to begin accumulating food stores and safety. All they would have to do is ditch north amerikan assumptions as to what was the minimum level acceptable lifestyle. Read that line again

So this was the first “Pre- Skill” before learning part 2. FOOD DEHYDRATION- Without electricity. No canning equipment or experience? No problem. I luckily spent my young adult life close to a large China Town. You cant miss all the exotic dehydrated foods that we have absolutely no experience with…but is just NORMAL in the rest of the world. No refrigeration? No problem.

Now, most preppers are familiar with electric dehydrators…but once you start crunching the numbers, you realise you spend more on electricity costs than just going out and buying the food in the first place.
No. I wanted to point out to people how to take advantage of waste heat. Build simple solar dehydrators. Dehydrate over your wood stove that is running anyhow. Putting trays over your light bulbs or heating vents. In a hot car, on an ashvault driveway or black painted roof metal, or simply left threaded on string in the sunshine , etc. Anything with excess heat and air movement to whisk moisture away.

This was a precursor skill to learn…before learning part 2- Dumpster diving.
Get over yourself. There is A LOT of waist food there. Enough to start building food stores. You just have to learn the skill. We were interviewing a young couple about joining our community, recently. I knew they were the right fit long befor they talked about their dumpster diving experience. They found that you don’t need to become an ubber scavenger but to simply find one or two sources since those that produce waist product generally produce plenty of it. Personally, we recently started collecting all the left over food prep from one restraint to augment feeding our pigs. It took a few years of living in the community before someone had got out of farming and turned over their source to us. Guess what? We eat some of it because its too good to just give to the pigs.
(The full article is here- http://www.canadianpreppersnetwork.com/ ... iving.html )

The next skill to pick up is FOOD STORAGE. Building a pantry.
People complain about the rising cost of food. If you believe that…it is because our society has become totally out of touch with their own food production. Read that line again.

Food will NEVER BE CHEAPER THAN IT IS TODAY. Industrialised food production is INSANELY cheap. Its totally creepy. That they can ship food from across the continent cheaper than you can grow it locally….creepy. No other good word but CREEPY….and fragile. If you have any fantasy that it will be cheaper to grow your own food, just knock that shit right out of you. You cannot compete with , on one hand, multi million dollar (Big bank Financed) industrial mega farms, and on the other hand, exploited small farmers making a couple bucks an hour, always one harvest away from losing their farm. Total exploitation. It’s the problem with capitalism that no one but me talks about. Eventually, all the capital ends up in a few hands while destroying every one else that cant compete with the big boys. Tyranny. That is where we are today. Eventually all capital theoretically ends up in one hand. That is the nature of our competitive system . Trickle Down?…my unwashed ass . You cannot compete with McFoodCorp. Don’t even try. Growing your own food is way more expensive. You don’t do it to save or make money. You do it for FOOD SOVERNTY. You must be willing topay your local farmers more for food…to keep that food local…and within your grasp as the 2000m ile food chain breaks down.

But while we have it…there is no good reason not to have a stocked pantry…other than being a FAKE prepper.
“FOOD STORAGE- Because its Cheap. Because its Easy. Because your great grandparents wouldn’t understand why you didn’t and would be really angry with you.” (Chris Martenson)
We are talking prepping for poor or under prepared people here. Forget all about specialty prepper food here. No freeze dried #10 cans or MREs or any of that stuff unless you have extra cash to burn. Just buy the usual stuff you usually eat…but buy more of it…when it’s on sale…for a third or half the price. Use what you store. Store what you use. There is no need to traumatise yourself with huge costs. If you just pick up 6 extra cans when you stumble across them half price…it accumulates really fast. Your grocery bill actually goes way down. Here is the good news. Most of the crap food we ship across the continent is prepared in a way that it stores a real long time. Forget all about the Sell By dates. I’m fine eating a 5 year old canned food or rice or pasta.
Here is a habit we developed. On crappy rainy or snowy days when we just need to get off the farm to keep from going bug nuts…we get to do a power walk…in a climate controlled environment. We will walk through the big box stores, only focusing on loss leaders (sales they take a loss on to get people in the door). If there is nothing too cheap not to buy…we don’t buy it. Its like hunting…but its warm and there are no bugs. A 10 minute power walk through the store. Done. The McCorpStores make little money on us. They probably lose money on me. I can live with that.

I am jumping ahead here. This goes into the skillset category. Grow a garden….even if its just growing a few things in buckets. Your main goal….is to fail as often as possible. Its way more work than you think.

I will just quote John Michael Greer here and save myself some time- “A practical example, again, will be useful here. In my experience, it takes around five years of hard work, study, and learning from your mistakes to become a competent vegetable gardener. If you’re transitioning from buying all your vegetables at the grocery store to growing them in your backyard, in other words, you need to start gardening about five years before your last trip to the grocery store. The skill and hard work that goes into growing vegetables is one of many things that most people in the world’s industrial nations externalize, and those things don’t just pop back to you when you leave the produce section of the store for the last time. There’s a learning curve that has to be undergone.

Not that long ago, there used to be a subset of preppers who grasped the fact that a stash of cartridges and canned wieners in a locked box at their favorite deer camp cabin wasn’t going to get them through the downfall of industrial civilization, but hadn’t factored in the learning curve. Businesses targeting the prepper market thus used to sell these garden-in-a-box kits, which had seed packets for vegetables, a few tools, and a little manual on how to grow a garden. It’s a good thing that Y2K, 2012, and all those other dates when doom was supposed to arrive turned out to be wrong, because I met a fair number of people who thought that having one of those kits would save them even though they last grew a plant from seed in fourth grade. If the apocalypse had actually arrived, survivors a few years later would have gotten used to a landscape scattered with empty garden-in-a-box kits, overgrown garden patches, and the skeletal remains of preppers who starved to death because the learning curve lasted just that much longer than they did”

What the heck…I just like re reading JMGs writing so much that I might as well add the next paragraph…

“The same principle applies to every other set of skills that has been externalized by people in today’s industrial society, and will be coming back home to roost as economic contraction starts to cut into the viability of our externality systems. You can adopt them now, when you have time to get through the learning curve while there’s still an industrial society around to make up for the mistakes and failures that are inseparable from learning, or you can try to adopt them later, when those same inevitable mistakes and failures could very well land you in a world of hurt. You can also adopt them now, when your dependencies haven’t yet been used to empty your wallet and control your behavior, or you can try to adopt them later, when a much larger fraction of the resources and autonomy you might have used for the purpose will have been extracted from you by way of those same dependencies.”

But like I said, I am jumping ahead a bit. Solving the poor or under prepare prepper dilemma. I am one of the only people I know that has paid for land and no depts. This didn’t happen because I am rich. I’m an ex street kid with few sellable skills. There is some luck involved but mainly it is because I lowered my expectations of what is the minimum standards of north amerikan life. If you do have a middle class income and you haven’t done these things…Don’t be whining about how the guberment is holding you down (or the kids or wife excuse) Its your OWN fault and you simply don’t WANT to do it. PERIOD.

C5 rule of survival- If all else fails…lower your standards.

I live where other people don’t want to be. But most people just are not there yet or can’t afford it. Sooooo, what to do if you don’t have land and you are just scraping by….or might have to say… evac an entire city because its burning because its 30 degrees Celsius warmer than it is supposed to be (don’t get me started on the irony. I have no stomach for sugar coating that event to save peoples feelings) …but this is about surviving a collapse economy because Millennials and Retiring Boomers have a wake up call coming.

If you cant afford land free and clear…buy a van. It’s the minimum home to protect you from homelessness. A warm, dry bed and a place to keep your Stuff. I guess I was just ahead of the curve on this one. As we speak, there is a very large “Stealth Van” movement happening. Google it. Its also becoming a mainstream Prepper strategy. So much so that it is being called “The Millennials New American Dream”.
Far better than sleeping in an alberta emergency shelter. Far cheaper than paying for a hotel…or rent…or an underwater mortgage…etc. etc. Its still a short term strategy to a long term problem though.
Remember, the C5 rule- If all else fails…lower your standards.
And the Other C5 rule- Go small or go home. (Before you don’t have a home to go home to)

The next big part of My Series was about abandoning the idea of Bugging Out to the wilderness with a bug out bag, strategy so common in the prepper world now days. One more really bad idea that comes from that triple group of apocalyptic losers I mentioned at the start. Christian Reconstructionisms, White Supremacists and Broken,Ex military men.
Now, I am sure a few of you thought of me while Fort McMercinary was burning and going “That C5 was wrong, saying bugging out is bad, M’kay.” Sure. Get out of the way of an unstoppable force. Duh. Don’t fight battles you cant win. Double Duh….but if you your survival plan was to grab the BOB and assault rifle and head out into the forest….well, burnt popcorn preppers comes to mind. Reducing the excess population in a Darwinian manor also comes to mind….And the grandest of ironies is those Alberta preppers worried about the NWO putting them in FEMA camps… are now living in FEMA Camps (or some Canadian equivalent). The nice old lady handing out sandwiches and blankets is secretly putting the mark of the beast on your forhead while you sleep in the school auditorium. Is this a good time to remind you about the Stealth Van. (Why Not. I’ll slip the part of the series about simple GAS STORAGE in here so I don’t have to do it later. Thinking of all the stalled cars on the highway fleeing Fort McMercinary. Have some Gas Cans filled and develop the discipline of rotating it into your car every six months. Its cheap prepping because you are going to be using it anyhow. The first thing to run out in emergencies is fuel…right when you realise your tank is near empty and your destination is 2 tanks away .)

Survival Acres epic rant series,”The Fallacy of Bugging Out, 1 and 2”, “The Bug Out Bullshit Test”, “ BOB, The Reality” and finally, “Surviving the Horde” is unfortunately no longer on the internet. He shut down his board for the same reasons I’m done. Too many idiots. Too much effort flogging a dead hourse. Too little of life left. If someone here stored that little gem series in a file somewhere, please send me a copy so I can put it away in a file for future use. Please. Please. Please and thank you.

It completely changed the way I look at prepping. It shook out most of the useless prepper fluff I had been carrying abound in my head since the 80s.

The next Big mental popcorn series I did was on Identifying what a SLOW CRASH is and that it is fundamentally different from a Fast Crash scenario. How you prepare for it is fundamentally different that prepping for a fast crash. Others have called it a Slow Collapse or a Stealth Crash. Good. Its not just me. The more optimistic call it The Transition. The reason its important…is that its pretty much the way that it is playing out. It was just theory (Much maligned theory) back then. Now we see that it is how this Crash is playing out. I called it right.I’ll quote Ran Prier.
“ It won't be like falling off a cliff, more like rolling down a rocky hill. There won't be any clear before, during, or after.”
There is no On/ Off switch. There will be a long series of Regional Disasters. Localised Crashes and Partial Recoveries, Adnauseum . Its hard to really describe just how SLOW this happens. I tried writing a story about this but I had to chuck it because I could not translate just how slow. The protagonists would just get too old to do anything interesting. LOL . R.Prier again.
“we'll be living in railroad cars, eating grass, and still waiting for the big crash we've been led to expect from watching movies designed to push our emotional buttons and be over in two hours”
Do not confuse this with a Soft Landing. Its actually the worst possible scenario.

So, my point here….is stop preparing to fight off the Golden Horde…or the UN troops…or Mutant Zombie Bikers. I call Bullshit.

You need to prepare to adapt to becoming ….Really Poor. Something most North Amerikan preppers are not inclined to do. Its not an adventure story. Prepare to not have a job again …for the rest of your life. Other people may still have paying jobs and are more inclined not to rock the boat for fear of losing it….but you just wont be one of them.
Sooooo….This is what really happens in a collapse. You lose your Job. You lose your Home. You lose your Truck.(does this sound familiar to anybody) You lose your reputation, social worth and self worth. You will probably lose your wife as well but here is hoping she is different. You will probably lose your mental health as well if you cannot adapt or are not smart enough to see that it is just normal life. The life we are living now is abnormal. Try to stay out of jail through all this….because that is going to become a lot worse as well. Avoid Joining angry mobs and protests. Think Ukraine. It didn’t quite work out as planned.
Infact, I will rough quote Rainer Stahlberg from memory, “ The moment you see on the news, police or soldiers stripped and carried ontop of the shoulders of a crowd (when you might be thinking to yourself, “Yay. This is the moment of real change”)…..Leave that city as quickly as possible and be prepared to never return again.” The powers that be will cordon that city off and make an example of it. You don’t want to be stuck in it. A REAL Bug Out wont involve a lot of tacticool boy toys in a man purse. It will involve a passport….and the personal status of being a refugee and asylum seeker.

Now, lets get back to prepper skill sets to learn.

The next is the single most important prepper skill set. It’s a big one and probably the hardest. It takes years of PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. No, Its not bow and drill fire starting (I guess tough guys have never heard of Bics). Its not shooting at a thousand yards. Its not Krav Mega meets UFC training.

C5 Rule of Survival- The Single Most Valuable Prepper Skill Set is……The Dinner Party

You need friends and a lot of them. You need social connections of assorted different people. What is the best capitalist investment in a collapse? Not guns. Not gold. Not hidy holes. Your best investment is…Social Capital. If you don’t have any, It might be that you are a dick and don’t deserve freinds…or…, it might be that our entire philosophy, technologies,, Life goals and society in general are set up to keep this from happening. Changing that part of your life is going to be a lot of really hard, time consuming work. You are not going to get your own way anymore.

Coincidentally, I was listening to CBC this morning and they were interviewing a writer on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. His analysis was that those that have a strong Tribal connection are far less likely to get it. Example. Many military men do just fine while they are part of their platoon. Signs don’t begin to manifest until they are sitting alone in air conditioned suburbia, suddenly separated from their tribal support system. This has been hardwired into our brains since we crawled out of the trees…and our society is the complete opposite of what we are hardwired for. Many preppers on IPN are looking for those sorts of connections. Few people find them. People that identify as preppers might not be the types best inclined to these complex relationships.

Let me tell you what we have been doing on our end to solve this little problem. Yes, were starting a shared land, eco village on our property…but that is getting ahead of myself. Most north amerikans aren’t psychologically trained to cope with something so over the top…different. So, lets get to the simpler things we have done.
We sought out and “Dinner Party” with as many people as we possibly can. Our focus is mainly people somewhat involved in some sort of their own food production. People with small farms, CSAs, seed savers, Transition Town Folks, General rebels and anyone brave enough to buck the norm and be mocked by other people. As many as possible.

At this point the knee jerk, prepper fundamentalists will scream OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC!

Fuck OPSEC. I need people more than I need absolute security. People are security. (Within reason, just like bugging out of Fort McMercinary. Dont tell your well armed shooting buddy that does a lot of blow, where the gold is. Duh. If you dont trust your friends...Its time to find better friends. Double Duh)

C5 rule of survival- The single greatest survival resource is…(envelope please)…Other People.

Anyone that says otherwise…has never made any serious attempt at self sufficiency. If you have…as I hear from anyone who has actually tried it…is that there is too much to do and too much to know. Self sufficiency is a bit of an ideological Myth.

Here is one of my favorite, real life, prepper group building stories. Enjoy.

The first, and most valuable member of my little prepper group, after I had chatted with him online for a bit….just invited me over to his retreat for a beer. He wasn’t what I originally pictured as a prepper. No camo and Machismo. He just gave me his address and invited me over. After the first bit of new potential friend awkwardness, I figured I should broach the subject. I said, “Someone has explained this whole OPEC thing to you before. Right?” Without missing a beat, he replied, “ Ya…..I’m not THAT kind of prepper. I’m sort of Scared of the ones that are. If I didn’t already trust you from the stuff you wrote…I wouldn’t have invited you over.” He was the first to say, “Ya…I’m all in”. That was somewhat healing. It wasn’t just me. In retrospect, It had nothing to do with starting a “Prepper Group”. (That has actually been somewhat awkward) It was more about reaching out to people and slowly building trust with people that were once strangers. Building a tribe of people that were happy to run into you instead of wanting to punch you in the face. Trust gets built though, Repetition, Repetition, Repetition. If you want a friend, be a friend.
Preppers are over rated. I have met many now. Plenty are nice people. Others are dangerously deluded and to be avoided…but the vast majority are not prepared in the slightest. They just think they are. I don’t think I am going to waste any more of my life on “Preppers”.
I had a fantastic phone conversation with Farmgal. Not everyone gets one of those. I feel privileged. Hopefully I’m not breaking trust here…and OPSEC . LOL. We had a conversation on the limitations of preppers. I will GROSSLY paraphrase her in a way that it has actually NOTHING to do with the real conversation that took place. Lets see if I can make paraphrased, highly inaccurate remembrance close to the intended intent.

FGal-“Ive had good contacts with preppers and some really bad ones. People hope the old folks can remember how to do the old skills but they don’t. The only people that are really doing it are the young folks. People associated with Transition Town, WOOFERS, Transient farm apprentices, permacultualists, Seed saving groups, etc. These are the people diligently seeking out old knowledge and experimenting or in most cases the knowledge is already fully lost and they are rediscovering it from scratch through trial and error”.
C5-“Let me stop you there. At this point, those are the ONLY people we are seeking out. In my experience they are the only ones worth a shit. They are the only ones that know anything useful to us…. and can get along with people. If someone that contacts me and tells me that they are a prepper expert because they can provide military training because they did a Survival escape and evasion course once …and don’t remember just how badly they did… well, at best they are just welfare cases I would have to take care of ….unless they actually used their time to learn something useful like mechanical work or electrician skills. Now some idealistic Dready kid with a bong and living on a backpack full of falafel mix but real life organic farm experience, dedication to purpose and emotionally flexible to handle living in a cabin the size of a tool shed…that is someone I could actually use. They could handle this lifestyle. Self entitled Suburban preppers…not so much ”…

We just had our Biannual prepper Group Meet. Let me start by saying our MAG Group has sort of fizzled. We lost the momentum. It was too much work to vet new people. We are sort of exclusive, choosing few…But our dedication to each other is still strong. This was the first, non mandatory meet. And we invited non MAG members. Non preppers as well. It was more to introduce the new people living on our land to people we have met and trust. A few new and old friends came as well. The extended trust group. That whole “Dinner party” thing I mentioned earlier. A simple potluck, then drinks by the fire. There was a lot of completely different people there. Very different people. It went fantastic. At one point, by the fire (while others were ignoring me) I had a proud father moment. I realised “I” did this. These diverse people were together and enjoying each other, meeting new people, reaffirming old Bonds,… because somewhere along the line I decided to start a prepper group…because a group was necessary for survival .
Trust and dedication is built though “REPATITION, REPATITION, REPATITION.”

Now, Before I forget, Lots of people try to start prepper groups, intentional communities, or eco villages…because any LONG sighted person sees its obviously needed for long term survival…but most fail. I would like to help you not fail. The GO TO book on the subject , that you should read before ever attempting this herculean task.
Creating A Life Together.
Lucky for you, Its on a FREE PDF. http://library.uniteddiversity.coop/Eco ... nities.pdf

Now for the survival advice…and since my series was about helping the unprepared or under prepared prepper…This is a C5 excusive.

C5 Rule of Survival-“ If you cant find a prepper group to join or create a team on your own, no matter how hard you have tried...Join the SCA.”

Im a bit burnt out from typing so I will just send you to the article for my reasons. viewtopic.php?f=57&t=5925

My last advice is for New to prepping, preppers. Luckily we are past the post 2008 Prepper Fad. Peak Prepping, I call it, on the downslope to obscurity . We are now on one of the bumpy plateaus were people just get used to all the crazy changes…before the next bumpy roll down the hill. People have a bit of a breather to re-evaluate all the crazy panicked shit they heard from the…batshit crazy preppers.
The biggest danger to new preppers…is prepper “Experts”, telling a creative story. Remember the three influential groups I mentioned above, trying to recruit YOU.

C5 Rule of Survival- “There is no such thing as a prepper expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to SELL you something, Weather that is a product, service, religious or political position.”

They already own all the internet words. If you type in, Economic collapse into your search engine, the first sight you find will be The Economic Collapse Blog ( Christian Reconstructionist. The antichrist is coming for you to put you in Fema camps, sort of thing) If you type in Shit Hits The Fan, the first site you find is one of the worst, SHTF Plan (Christian Reconstructionists…and a safe zone for white supremacist commenters) If you type in, wanting to learn about living off the grid, the first sight you will find is Off The Grid News (Christian Reconstructionist) . Soooo, all the search words you are looking for are basically controlled by “Vanilla ISIS”.
And you just wont be able to avoid Alex Jonestown (Birch Society influenced…can you guess…Christian Reconstructionists). Its important that you never fall for the lines “A secrets well connecter Insider has just revealed….” Bullshit. One of these will show up about one a week. This deserves a book in itself ….But I have had enough of typing…and I hope I can ask DENOB and helicopilot to tag in on this subject as a reply and fill in their insights and research into this subject. You guys are nicer than me anyhow and know the subject matter.

Often, these snake oil, salesmen can get their foot in the door by explaining to people what Money really is to a population that generally doesn't know. With this deep revelation exposed and trust built, The MARK is now ready to be sold any crazy position they hold. Thus we have the Glen Becks and the Michael Mores. Peter Josef's Zeitgeist and Alex Jones Endgame. Right Sector, The Arian Brotherhood, Christian Patriots and anyone else that can tell a good scary ghost story.

To deal with all this bat shit, bug nut, CWAZY, paranoid, ideology driven…propaganda…I recommend everyone sit down for 4 hours of your very important life and watch THE CRASH COURSE-- http://www.peakprosperity.com/crashcourse

One of the things I like about THE CRASH COURSE is that it can also act as an inoculation against all this crazy. By knowing the basic MATH of it all, you are just not going to be bamboozled by someone that reveals part of it in a bait and switch con game. Once you know how a magic trick works, you can never not see it when its happening.

Well, That’s the best I can do for you folks. That’s all my most important advice summed up.
I would very much like to never type again. Unfortunately that’s not going to happen. I still have to promote my shared land mini community on our property…soooo, I have to start my own web page, probably on facebook for the shear ease of people sharing it and spreading the news. The plus side is that I can disable commenters so that I don’t have to deal with…the assorted duchebags that would want to use me to spread their own manure…poisoning me reading it while I have to delete it because it doesn’t represent me. Im not sure what that is going to be like yet. I need a bit more of a breather to recharge

- Good night, Cleveland. There won’t be an encore.

To my friends on IPN…So long and thanks for all the fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXek9_IGWZA
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

farmgal
Canada

Re: C5s Promised Final Post- So Long And Thanks for all the

Postby farmgal » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:07 am

You had better post or send the link to that facebook page ;)

Read from top to bottom and a ton of great advice in there! you know I wish you the very best of luck, luck is good but hard work is better! LOL
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 am

Thank you for your posts C5. Have enjoyed and learnt from them and wish you well.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:52 pm

Well C5, you'll be missed here buddy! Your insightful posts were always very interesting to read and usually in line with my way of thinking when it comes to preparedness.

I came across an article after reading your post that may be of interest to people. http://www.peakprosperity.com/blog/9867 ... t-prepared I'm not as well plugged in as C5 when it comes to finding the nuggets on the Internet and I can't always tell what a good site is (other than IPN of course!) but this article seemed good and would probably be C5 approved.

Hoping to be able to find you on Facebook buddy!

All the best!
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 pm

cernunnos5 wrote:
My last advice is for New to prepping, preppers. Luckily we are past the post 2008 Prepper Fad. Peak Prepping, I call it, on the downslope to obscurity . We are now on one of the bumpy plateaus were people just get used to all the crazy changes…before the next bumpy roll down the hill. People have a bit of a breather to re-evaluate all the crazy panicked shit they heard from the…batshit crazy preppers.
The biggest danger to new preppers…is prepper “Experts”, telling a creative story. Remember the three influential groups I mentioned above, trying to recruit YOU.

C5 Rule of Survival- “There is no such thing as a prepper expert. Anyone claiming to be is just trying to SELL you something, Weather that is a product, service, religious or political position.”

They already own all the internet words. If you type in, Economic collapse into your search engine, the first sight you find will be The Economic Collapse Blog ( Christian Reconstructionist. The antichrist is coming for you to put you in Fema camps, sort of thing) If you type in Shit Hits The Fan, the first site you find is one of the worst, SHTF Plan (Christian Reconstructionists…and a safe zone for white supremacist commenters) If you type in, wanting to learn about living off the grid, the first sight you will find is Off The Grid News (Christian Reconstructionist) . Soooo, all the search words you are looking for are basically controlled by “Vanilla ISIS”.
And you just wont be able to avoid Alex Jonestown (Birch Society influenced…can you guess…Christian Reconstructionists). Its important that you never fall for the lines “A secrets well connecter Insider has just revealed….” Bullshit. One of these will show up about one a week. This deserves a book in itself ….But I have had enough of typing…and I hope I can ask DENOB and helicopilot to tag in on this subject as a reply and fill in their insights and research into this subject. You guys are nicer than me anyhow and know the subject matter.

Often, these snake oil, salesmen can get their foot in the door by explaining to people what Money really is to a population that generally doesn't know. With this deep revelation exposed and trust built, The MARK is now ready to be sold any crazy position they hold. Thus we have the Glen Becks and the Michael Mores. Peter Josef's Zeitgeist and Alex Jones Endgame. Right Sector, The Arian Brotherhood, Christian Patriots and anyone else that can tell a good scary ghost story.

Well, (expletive) me sideways...where to start?!?
You are indeed correct. The (expletive) nuts have cornered all the buzzwords. There are many ways they have achieved this but I'm not going to bore everyone with the details of search engine optimization methods, nor embarrass myself by exposing my limited knowledge on the subject, but one of the biggest ways to corner these words is to use them often and create back links (have people post the link on forums, blog comments, facebook pages, etc.) To do this, they need an extensive audience, and to bring people in they use keywords such as "truth" or some other tantalizing buzzwords that bring in the readership.
But why is that following and readership so important? Money...the very thing most of these sites claim doesn't really exist. Look at any one of these sites (go ahead, by being a member here you're probably already on a government list anyhow) and notice the extent of advertising. The amount you can charge for advertising is directly related to website traffic, the more visitors to your site the more you can charge for an ad space. Another point of interest on these sites is direct sales of products or services. Usually in the form of books or survival supplies. These products are often hyped in the content of the main site in the form of blog posts, product reviews, or "news" articles.
So how best to lure in the masses and keep them engaged? Easy...scare them (expletive) less! Fear is an easy emotion to invoke and therefore the most used tactic of the snake oil (reconstructionist expletive) salesman. The end is ALWAYS near...the government is ALWAYS evil and out to get you...everything you hear from ANYONE EXCEPT THEM is a lie...your (insert fear mongering buzzword here) are ALWAYS in danger.
These guys are smart too...it used to be that they had some 'splaining to do after the most recent conspiracy failed to come to fruition. Now, watch for their explanation of how YOU! can band together, spread the word (create even more back links) and in doing so, stand up and raise awareness so as to dissuade the (insert evil entity here) from doing what they are now finally ready to do. This way, when noting happens, they make YOU out to be the hero, the reason certain doom was averted, and in doing so, keep your interest (and their click count for advertising revenue) way up. Who doesn't want to feel like a hero that saved the country right?!? All the while, they are recording the next youtube video that warns you about the next danger and explaining how buying the next book they wrote (as well as a few supplies from their sponsors) will save the day once again.

Now, as far as C5's burnout, I get it...I really do. I stopped doing podcasts because of it. It was no longer fun and more of a requirement to get it researched, recorded, edited. and ready for publishing on a deadline...it's exhausting! However, C5, you will be missed. Your candor and straight shooting style, often with a refreshing dose of mild vulgarity brought the posts down to earth. You never fluffed anything up for appearances sake, and that was what made it sink in.

You will always be welcome to come back to post, and no matter how many account cleanups I do, I will make sure your account is always active...I'd like to think that we're somewhat addictive, and for that reason, I'm sure you'll be back for a dose of us here and there.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:26 pm

O yes, I have watched a few or more bloggers that used to be awesome, Get lost at least to me.. its all become about making a buck, its amazing to see the changes some of them have gone though over the past five years..

I went to a site, I used to like and admire and I wanted to read a article she posted and after I worked my way thought three pop-ups, buy this, get this, and another ad offer, I closed the site down..

I dislike popups but I sigh and deal with one, but that was nuts! and the to my amazement, I get a email from her "blog" that says, I know you are on my mailing list but you do not seem to click though to the site or buy anything, do you still want to be "friends" because if so, I would be grateful if you would click though and please read at least this many pages to help me out..

Really, because I read the post that comes to my mail box, I am bad because I am not adding to your clicks! Shakes head!

I do not know why this is allowed in the prepper world because my hubby is a published auther in his own field (as a hobby) and I am huge into my own style of reading and the writers that it has and I can honestly say that what is considered normal in the "prepper" world for promotion would be considered over the top and rude in these other fields..
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:18 am

no :cry:
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:08 pm

C5 WOW. Well said. I haven't read something this good in a looong time. Thanks.
Farmgale: download free AdBlock to rid yourself of those annoying ads and pop-ups.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:44 am

Well, Fuck my integrity. I cant even leave wile upholding my oath...that there will be no encore.

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 109- Integrity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
My Integrity will have to wait. It wasn't worth much anyhow.

About a month ago I read an article that left me with my jaw hanging open and a fifty yard stare. Its the most important article I have read since The Crash Course. It wasn't just me. Over the last month, I have seen several different sources....from both sides of the political spectrum...passing on the same info and coming to grips with its implications.

This is a "Put on the damned glasses" moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-MVMbm6c0k
I dont get to have the privilege of having my cherry tight integrity intact and fading away with a glow of respectability.

When someone shows you that the Oil Industry will be over within a decade....

Between reading that line and this small space provided.....a lot of thoughts went through your head...as did mine. Bullshit comes to mind. I had to re read it a few times....as did several other smart guys.

Over the last decade we have had to learn and wrap our heads around several unfamiliar terms. Quantitative Easing, Derivatives, Compound Growth, Fractional Reserve Banking, Debt Based Financing, How Much is a Trillion, What is Ocean Acidification, What is a Self Reinforcing Feedback Loop, and lately, What is a Seneca Curve and the one I taught you at the beginning of the 2014 commodities crash..... that still has not gone away, by the way....Demand Destruction (sorry, my friend peppercorn. this aint over by a long shot. its only the warning shot).

The new term I have been hearing for the last year or so and now have been having to learn real fucking quick is....EROI or EROIE. That is, Energy Return On Investment... or Energy Return On Energy Investment. EROI is just easier to say....but sort of deceptive. It gives the impression that it is all a matter of finance.....where as everything we have been dealing with for the last decade is ALL about energy return. Finance is just a consequence.

Here is the three part series. Read it as many times as you have to until you get it.
http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.ca/2016 ... l-age.html
https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.ca/201 ... ge_15.html
https://cassandralegacy.blogspot.ca/201 ... ge_88.html

OK!.. I have a few other important updates....but if I write further, You may brief over those three as something to look at latter as you want to finish reading C5s charming post.....so I am going to stop you here, Coitus interruptus

SOOOOOOOOOOOO......Everything that has happened in the last decade......That is how long you have to have your C5s F Fives in order (Food storage, Food Production, Firewood, Fuel storage and Friends)

Put on the damned glasses. Im not finishing this post until I am convinced you have read this. Unless your house is on fire or you are wrestling with a bear with unwanted, forced intimacy on its mind, You have nothing going on that's more important than reading this.

Hell, Just give it a pity read.....as appreciation for using Coitus interruptus in a sentence.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:28 pm

hmmm, hmmmmm.. some I get, some I knew and some I question... but working on the 5 things myself!
0 x

Return to “Nova Scotia”