• Advertisement

Gears for weekend (2 days) trip.

Moderator: Denob

Wordiestdata

Gears for weekend (2 days) trip.

Postby Wordiestdata » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:22 pm

Hey guys,

So this weekend, I'll be spending 2 days in Vermont with my parents to see some of their friends. Here's a general overview of what i was thinking of bringing, considering I need to fit it all in a "24 hour" backpack. I know it's not enough, but tell me if there are some things you would change, or straight up remove.

- 5.11 Rush 24 Backpack.
-Level 2 First Aid kit
-Level 1 Fire kit (firemaking)
-Road flares (pack of 6)
-CRKT Carson's design M16-14DSFG (knife)
-MRE's rations (At least 6, two for each of my familiy members)
-SAWYER water filtration system
-Aquatabs water purification tablets
-Bivvy bag
-Emergency blanket
-200' 550 cord
-1.5 liters of water (2 different bottles)
-Fenix LD-22 Flashlight
-50 USD
-Custom sewing kit
-8x10 tarp
-Compass
-Sunglasses

Again, this is only subjective, subject to change. My clothes and hygiene products wil be in my suitcase, this is only kind of a portable BOB.

Let me know any improvements you would do, hopefully, this bag can keep me as prepared as I can, considering i'll be away from home and my preps.

-Wordistdata
0 x
My channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAG4rBnmHS7MPWxKzDrJmkQ
E-mail : thecanadianprepperproject@gmail.com

Ready for anything...

MrsPrepwPets

Re: Gears for weekend (2 days) trip.

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:10 pm

You have 3 people (6/2=3) and...

Wordiestdata wrote:...MRE's rations (At least 6, two for each of my familiy members)

- ~4-6K calories per person, in a format where if you aren't drinking a ton of water and-or taking fiber, they're likely to end up bound up.
3600 cal ration bars fit into a space roughly equal (sometimes smaller, sometimes bigger) than an unopened MRE, equal to two field-dressed MREs.
It's a fab-o season to be foraging (and foraging decent starches and proteins), so you could decrease weight/size by breaking out crackers, proteins, desserts and electrolytes from MREs, boosting fats and sugars with ration bars, or just decrease the load entirely to a couple of ration bar packs, protein powder, meal replacement shakes, or the above mentioned MRE components.

Wordiestdata wrote:...-1.5 liters of water (2 different bottles)

- 1.5 L of water porting capability.
Even if you're in the land of lakes and running streams, you may want to add another bottle. You can use a quick knot with 550 cord to make shoulder straps to distribute the load between people. It will decrease (some) the amount of time you spend going back and forth between water sources.

Wordiestdata wrote:...-Bivvy bag
-Emergency blanket
...8x10 tarp

- 1 bivy, 1 banket, 1 tarp.
Depending on what parts of VT you're in, it can be pretty darn chilly.
Maybe the 3rd person will fit in the bivy with the 2nd person, and 1 person is on watch through the night, in which case ignore the rest of this graph.
You might at least want to increase to a 2nd emergency blanket in place of the bivy. The tarp can be rigged into a snug bed. A 2nd emergency blanket allows the person on watch to stay warm, too, allows for a heat-reflecting surface below as well as above, or can be used for signaling. It can also be there for signaling for help. Really, multiple blankets might be a good idea, especially if they're the thin foil type instead of the good ones with the thick mylar attached to a sturdy cloth.

Another alternative would be to replace the bivy with a roll of heavy-duty black plastic bags (say, 3-5 per person). They can be used as inner and outer liners for a debris bag, collect water or grub, turned into a poncho, keep game from bleeding inside the backpack or be used to suspend it in trees (bear country in parts of VT), help with water barriers for shelter, suspended with the water bottles inside to warm the water in the sun faster. That lets you keep the tarp for making shelter, but have enough "cover" for everybody.

Wordiestdata wrote:...-Custom sewing kit

- I'd just drop the sewing kit. A fishing kit with a couple regular needles can be used for sewing while the reverse does not always hold true.

Wordiestdata wrote:...-Sunglasses

- Sunglasses don't seem all that necessary to me, even with the low angle of the sun. They're more a comfort than survival item in my world and if you're tight on space and weight...
Alternatives might be:
*Chapstick (fire starting accessory)
*Tampons (if there are chicks, +fire starting +first-aid kit boost)
*Bandanas/Ski cap (in case you're separated from your good clothing)
*1-handed Pruners (easy to clip small-diameter wood for fires, general heavy-duty scissors, easy to snip small games' legs off with, easier to collect cattail rhizomes and latterals, work as a nut cracker)

Wordiestdata wrote:...-50 USD

This is good, but won't get you a hotel room if power is down and you can't use cards, and depending on your tank size, will barely fill it in some areas (if financial collapse is an issue).
If you're out with an auto problem and your Canadian bank shuts down your card because they think it was stolen (call them ahead of time, but snafu's happen), you might run into trouble as well with either getting a tow or getting your car out of the shop, getting a cab, or doing something with your family until the car gets out or relatives get to you.
Another reason you might need cash is to get a hotel is if the airline delays your flight by 6-10 hours (again, after 1-4 previous delays). Some will automatically comp you a room, but some have timespans for the delays you have to hit. The same snafu with a card is possible.
You might think about $100, $150 or $200 instead.

Part of it might be made up of a roll+ of quarters or perfect dollar bills (a combo is great) so you can use a vending machine if you end up stranded near a travel center and it's a personal crisis, not a local or regional crisis.

If you are worried about financial collapse, some silver coins are an option (print a page that gives the weight of silver per coin - not their value, their silver weight - and a page for the trading value of silver right before you leave).

Replacing the sunglasses and losing some of the water weight and bulk of MREs can buy space for either of the coins.

Wordiestdata wrote:...-Fenix LD-22 Flashlight

The sunglasses might also add space for hat-brim hands-free lamps or small clip-on bike-type/pet-type strobe-red-white mini lights for each person (easier to keep track of people and gear, give everybody a light).
A single light might not cut it, especially if you've got somebody not used to the dark/woods, and just for sanity's sake so somebody that has to pee in the middle of the night does not leave the other(s) without a light.

#1 most importantest of all:
Dude, love, friend, there is no duct/gorilla tape on your list. I'll betcha that's just an oversight, since duct tape should be everywhere at all times.
:)
-P
0 x

CSG

Postby CSG » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:33 pm

Dont forget a map of the area you are going as well as a map of a potential evac route.

what good is a compass without a map.

Your list is awesome, good planning.
0 x
CSG

Paracord is your friend

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 pm

This time of the year, a hat and some gloves may go a long way, along with an extra t-shirt, socks and underwear, tightly packed in a freezer bag. I agree with the fishing kit vs sewing kit statement.

Road flares are quite bulky and thouh they would allow you to start a fire in any condition, so would a good candle. The candle, in a clean empty soup can, can also be lit in a car at night to produce light, heat (some) and cut in the moisture that your family would create in your vehicle.
0 x

Wordiestdata

Postby Wordiestdata » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Holy cow MrPrepwpets ! What an essay ! Awesome tips tho, I will be bringning more money for sure, it barely takes any space and can be more useful than I thought, as you mentionned. For the flashlight, I actually have an elastic band with a plastic clip than i can just slide the flashlight in, so I'll be bringning that ! Definitely bringing duck tape as well ;) I'm aslo going to try and fit one or 2 more bivvy bag and emergency blanket, they'll take the spot of the sewing kit ;) An don't worry, my father is not a prepper, but I convinced him and now, he always has a flashlight, a knife and a lighter on his person, and so do I !!! So that would be at least one extra flashlight, lighter and knife !

Thanks CSG, didn't think about the map right away, I won't forget it don't worry ;)

helicopilot, I was already planning on bringing more "winter clothes", but they will be in my suitcase, this is only kind of a "portbale BOB". You're right for the flares.....I love these things so much. I will take 2 out tho cause they are really heavy and bulky, might stick some other stuff with the candle in the thin can to save some space !

Thanks for the tips, keep 'em coming, hopefully, my system is gonna be pretty squared away for the weekend ;)
0 x

Ready for anything...

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 pm

It's part of my usual carry, so I didn't think of it, but if you don't have one you might want a "me" folder on a USB that's tucked away somewhere.
Stuff to think about for it are:
-Scanned copies of ID and passport,
-passcoded files with your home and auto insurance, mortgage, and bank access info (accounts, access numbers, contact info for each),
- backup contacts from your phone in case it dies (and-or the password to get it if you have a system that already updates it),
-scanned adoption/purchase/ownership info for any animals (even though they're staying at home) and any microchip or ID'g marks on them, with photos, (I keep copies of req'd vaccination certificates on mine, too; house could always go up when you're not in it)
-files that list any daily prescription or meds or herbals anybody takes (so it can be given to a doc and some of the drug interaction problems can be avoided)

I keep a scanned copy of my glasses prescriptions, too, but that's b/c I'm a clutz and I've had 2 pairs broken on a single vacation once; cuts out the need to pay for and wait for a doc as well as cutting and grinding. May be a non-issue for you and yours.
I also keep people's and pets' most-pertinent medical history scanned in with doctor contacts for stuff like our fathers' hearts, a head surgery, diabetes, known reactions, meds that don't work for allergies or pain, stuff like that, but I've been told that's overboard.

And on a truly sober note, recent photos of loved ones and pets with their basic info already on a sheet to send out if somebody goes missing.
(Or is that too paranoid?)
0 x

Wordiestdata

Postby Wordiestdata » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Nothing is too paranoid. ;)

These are some pretty interesting toipics actually. I was only focusing on "material" preps, but all the things you mentionned above are important as well. Especially backup contacts and copies of passport and ID. Not too worried about our 2 dawgs since they're coming with us :) Might even make two USB folders, one of them would stay in the vehicule and one of them on my person, redondancy is my best friend !

Glasses prescriptions are also really important cause every single one of us has contacts or glasses...(which sucks)

I keep thinking about all the extra stuf i would like to bring, but I'm only 17 and I really don't have enough money to pay for all of it, but I'll do my best !
thanks for your help once again !

-Wordiestdata
0 x

Ready for anything...

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Wordiestdata wrote:These are some pretty interesting toipics actually. I was only focusing on "material" preps, but all the things you mentionned above are important as well. Especially backup contacts and copies of passport and ID. Not too worried about our 2 dawgs since they're coming with us :) Might even make two USB folders, one of them would stay in the vehicule and one of them on my person, redondancy is my best friend !
I keep thinking about all the extra stuf i would like to bring, but I'm only 17 and I really don't have enough money to pay for all of it, but I'll do my best !
thanks for your help once again !

-Wordiestdata

I'm with you, with the multiple copies. I carry one daily, one lives clipped under my truck (less heat), and my best friend and mother have them (same state, different county, and different state). Plus I have some of the hardcopies with a simple code in my truck, and certified copies in a fireproof box away from home so a buddy can get to a fax and send them if we have a regional disaster or my neighborhood ends up evac'd/locked down and I can't get to the house or truck.

For sure have the dogs' shot records for rabies (I think it's req'd for travel anyway), get their ID numbers on their tags and microchips (if they have those), and make up a "lost" doc in word or ppt (if you're 17 you can run loops around me with electronics, but let me know if you need help there). That way if they get lost or end up somehow getting in a fight while they're here or some annoying human deserves to get nipped, you're as close as a printer to proving they're clean and faster to finding them again.

Might also want to pre-load the nearest vet ER (I'm spastic; they're my babies) and pre-load the address or map it from where you're staying and print the directions.

Being short on disposable, if you don't already have them:
- for sure the black lawn bags instead of bivy covers and the extra emergency blankets
- grab some peanut brittle bars or a box or two of dry granola bars instead of MREs or ration bars, and stick a dollar-store bottle of Italian dressing in there (it's starches season, but greens abound).
- Skip the fishing kit and rely on the inner strands of your 550 cord. You can cut a 5' length and have 25-40' of thin line for assembling a "twig hook" or you can spend your first day tying a 3" gill net out of 150-200 feet of it. You can use a fine-point knife as an awl and push 550 cord through for most repairs, or tie off a loop to your belt loop to run through the button hole if that's the issue
- You don't have to go fancy on water bottles - they're pretty resilient, and so are washed-out soda bottles. Plus, the latter make hook floats (an ear plug can be skewered for a float bobber, too)
- Print the maps at home from google or another free site, mark them up with your own keys, and either laminate them with contact paper or just stick them in a pair of Ziploc bags (even folded up)
- Our dollar store carries 5-packs of 6-hour emergency candles that are about the size of the "fingerling" road flares; or, if there are some around the house, just for the trip load a couple of those and then lickety splickety get them back where they belong when you get home so's you don't get in trouble

All of those are "if" you don't already own their replacements, but I wanted to reiterate it for this one:
With the purification tabs, you don't really need the filter. Clothing works as a physical filtration if you're killing off the buggaboos.

And once you're all packed and ready, forget about your kit, let 'wish' and 'if' go, and enjoy your trip! Many of us have traveled many, many times without any hitch at all.
:)
0 x

Return to “Quebec”