• Advertisement

Winterisation ?

Moderator: Denob

Wordiestdata

Winterisation ?

Postby Wordiestdata » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 pm

Mornin' guys,

I've been wondering about that for quite awhile now... Do you guys do anything special before winter, could be about anything, house related, terrain related, car related.

If something was to happen during the winter, I feel like I wouldn't be as prepared as I am during summer. I might just be freaking out for nothing tho, would'nt be the first time.

What we do is cleaning the whole yard, picking up leaves and putting them away in plastic bags (We've been doing that for years, still don'tknow why), make sure evertyhing is in order, and if strong winds where to happened, evertyhing would be secured.

Beside that, there's not a lot going on...

What do you guys do ?

- Christopher
0 x
My channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAG4rBnmHS7MPWxKzDrJmkQ
E-mail : thecanadianprepperproject@gmail.com

Ready for anything...

Goldie
Canada

Re: Winterisation ?

Postby Goldie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 pm

Prepare for stuff like

get greenhouse ready for spring
extra propane on hand
extra gasoline on hand
extra Naptha white gas on hand
extra Kerosene on hand for lamps and heaters
extra kindling ,twigs, wood pieces, for the rocket stove ( can't find if they are buried under the snow )
extra Cash on hand
extra Dog food
Check the winter snow shovels are in good order
Check the eve troughs are cleaned out
0 x

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:34 pm

Everything Goldie has said..except for the Greenhouse of which I do not have one. :)

Also:

-Run the generator and ensure its working properly.
-Run the snow blower, ensure its working properly.
-Break out the block heater for the truck and make sure it works.
-Sand in the back of the pick up.
-Modify the BOB with winter appropriate clothing, gear.
-Modify the GHB in the truck with winter appropriate clothing, gear.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:33 pm

Sorry I'm late posting today...I was outside setting up the tempo (winterization?).
One thing I would add here is to do a walkaround of the house, garage, shed, etc...
Any loose siding in need of a nail or two?
Maybe a weak spot on the roof that could use a patch?
If you had ice damming problems last year, you may want to consider some attic insulation?
How is the caulking around doors and windows?
SNOW TIRES!!!
Ya, in Quebec it's DA LAW (between Dec.15 and March 15)...don't be a procrastinator...for me, Halloween marks the possible snow fall date...from experience!
Check your inventory of ice melter, sand, and pea gravel.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:00 pm

more things to prepare for winter

- wood pile if you burn wood
- check your water on hand storage will not freeze
- check you have enough water , as in the winter creeks , ponds will be frozen so maybe hard to use the Berkey
- check long johns and heavy duty socks to see if you have enough in good repair
0 x

Wordiestdata

Postby Wordiestdata » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, pretty much what I was thinking about ! Extra heating capabilites, extra wood (I do not have fireplace in my house but I have my homemade rocket stove that i could use). I do already have extra food so no big deal there, didn't think about the doggies though, might have to buy 2 or 3 more food pouches. The yard and the garage are ready for the winter (took me the whole weekend two weeks ago) but I could double check my snowblower and generator.

The water is a problem for me. We do have some stored in the basement, but for external storage, i'm kind of worried about it freezing solid. My rain catchemnt system uses two big blue barrels (Tropicana ?) but it sometimes goes down to -25`C so it will freeze solid for sure, might try to fit one in the garage and one in the house...
0 x

Ready for anything...

drwkids

Postby drwkids » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:28 am

I always add to my winter preps too. Extra candles and firestarters if the power goes out. Put up the plastic for heat installation on the windows. I try to buy 1 extra quilt a year too. When we lost power for 3 days, having the quilts hang over doorways and halls kept our living room the same temp as normal. And our bedroom was decent. We don't have a wood stove / fireplace either.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:16 am

You can fill containers say 2/3 - 3/4 full ( experimentation on type of container needed ) and store outside for the winter.
They will freeze and expand. But you would be able to bring in each container and thaw out .

I save all kinds of water containers to fill with water for usage for washing, toilet flushing . etc
Last year I found placing them against the house wall in the garage helped them not freeze too hard
and also placing them inside cardboard boxes helped somewhat.

So you can store some water outside if you allow for head expansion.

I save alot of distilled water containers since I use alot . I also fill some of them after they are empty
and place in freezer to help keep the freezer colder longer. Then I also have access to more water

I also have some empties for the big water jugs which if the power goes off, I can fill them with more tap
water ( while my generator still has fuel ) and fill the bathtub and any other available pail.
0 x

Wordiestdata

Postby Wordiestdata » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for the tips Goldie, might give a shot to the cardboard and near the wall things ;)

A friend of mine gave me a pretty cool tip ! What he does is taking common 2 liters bottles, he then freezes them up and put them in his freezer in the basement, not only will it keep your freezer cooler for an extended period of time in case of a power shutdown, it also gives you some extra water Inside your house ! Can't believe I didn't think about that earlier !!!
0 x

Ready for anything...

Return to “Quebec”