• Advertisement

Are you watching the water?

Moderator: Denob

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Are you watching the water?

Postby Denob » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Most of southern Quebec as well as parts of south east Ontario is now under a rainfall warning. With 30 - 40 mm of rain and the warm temperatures, the snow will be melting away at a really fast rate. Anyone living near a river, lake, etc. should be on the lookout for rising water levels.
I remember as a kid when a flood hit my hometown, watching the river rinse away cows, a car, and a tool shed when a nearby farm couldn't get everything out of the way when the river broke it's banks. It happened quick, and there was nothing they could do about it.
Of course, it doesn't have to be that bad...with runoff overflowing the ditches here, I sometimes have to guess if that pothole is an inch deep or a foot?
Not to forget that temperatures are still going below zero at night in some places, so all this can freeze over on the roads.
If your basement relies on a sump pump, now might be a good time to check that it works and can keep up.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: Are you watching the water?

Postby farmgal » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:00 pm

I am keeping a eye on it but my local ground is thawed enough that's is moving well, and the drainage tiles are in full swing, you can hear and see the water moving to the creeks and then into the south nation, thankfully the ice broke up last week but we do have roads flooded out locally, the town guys have their signs moved into place
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Return to “Quebec”