• Advertisement

Why would the gov bother tracking us?

Melbmama

Why would the gov bother tracking us?

Postby Melbmama » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 am

Hi crew,
Just read one of the posts on Australians Sound off and it was really scary to hear IP addresses may be being tracked in the States. Why would they bother to do this? Makes me wonder if they would do this in Aus and if it's really worth having an online Prepper presence if there's an ounce of truth. One thing that may make us diff to the US is the gun laws. Are they really going to watch people who may have a few extra cans of food?? Surely an Aus bush fire or flood prepper is a good thing right, one less person calling on emergency services?? Sounds pretty paranoid but then you never know I guess.
All thoughts greatly appreciated...
0 x

JustABear

Re: Why would the gov bother tracking us?

Postby JustABear » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:53 am

In the end it isn't the guns they fear nor your food ... it is your mindset. You are NOT one of the masses. You think for yourself.. and develop your own thoughts. THAT scares the CRAP out of them.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:23 am

Last edited by Gravlore on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:12 am

Nothing like that folks.
The CIA pioneered collecting scraps of information, cataloging relative bits of information to build a profile of anyone or any subject of interest. When it was done by people it was limited to what people could do.
With the computers and data analysis tools available today they can collect everything available on everybody. Programs collect information and rely on key words or behaviors to categorize you or I.
They just skim and store everything. Dump what is irrelevant (or maybe just store it all - data storage is cheap).
If we buy popcorn, movie tickets, dinners at the Keg and post about sports scores we aren't the same "threat level" as someone who posts about government abuses and buys storable food and ammunition.

They simply collect all this data and build profiles on people and groups because they can, and it's easy. Lawmakers have allowed our right to privacy to be eroded in the name of security and have allowed all this data to be intercepted, not that they weren't doing it BEFORE.
If, at any time in the future your name pops up on the radar they just go into your history and any case they may want to build on you is already there. No need to have you under new surveillance to build a case.

They aren't targeting US. They're just scooping everyone and everything in their "data net". Kinda like a fishing trawler. Just scooping up everything there is, except they don't need to discard any "undesirable species".

What can you do?
Not much beyond making your "profile" as small as possible. Don't use any social media, don't post stupid rants on public sites, don't search with Google (use startpage.com).
Find privacy advocates and see what they say. This one comes to mind http://www.katherinealbrecht.com/
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:25 am

0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:27 am

0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 am

0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:10 am

I am sure I posted on this thread yesterday, however for whatever reason it was not successful. Likely my fault. So I will try again. IP addresses are tracked by the US and many, many others. The internet is not private. Your posts are not private. This is a fact of life. Terrorists, domestic and foreign lurk in the most unlikely places. So does organized crime. Authorities, governmental or otherwise have the right to protect their citizens. This is a fact of life now. Think of it like airport security. You may not like it, it is a pain in the ass but ultimately it is for your protection. If you don't want "authorities" to see what you post you have a very simple solution; don't post.
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:42 am

0 x

Perfesser
Canada

Postby Perfesser » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:28 pm

This government behavior is accepted by the general public right now. In past situations like this the ones who stayed under the radar till public perception changed were the ones who were around to make a difference when it counted.
There is strength in numbers, wait till the numbers favour your cause.
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”