• Advertisement

Every Day carry (EDC) Realistic and ridiculous

Beacon

Re: Every Day carry (EDC) Realistic and ridiculous

Postby Beacon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Peachcake wrote:I enjoy this site and have just joined.. Loads of useful info.. I realize being a mother of small children that I have all of the above in my car with the addition of a vomit bag clean undies for the kids and long lasting snacks.. I am a closet prepper at the moment and have a hidden stash if things throughout my house.. Just saying hi.. That is all .. How'd I do too long winded.. ? First forum

Hi Peachcake, just had to mention you probably have something us blokes don't...a mothers natural instinct to prep! ;)
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Peachcake, welcome to and glad you're enjoying the site :D most parents with small kids have a basic kit of food, drinks, basic 1st aid and hygiene with them. un knowing preppers!
Have already thought about alterations to the 2 cloth bags, added toothbrush and cover and tpaste in a travel bottle yesterday.
Have been considering buying a lifestraw - 100l/250 gallons, and thinking about making a prefilter for my water bottles (coffee filter paper, pantyhose and elastic band) as an experiment. Also buying some water purification tablets.
being housebound my EDC is pretty much my entire preps.. hehheh. But am thinking re what to take on my rare, rare excursions.
Happy prepping preeps
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Beacon

Postby Beacon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:00 pm

razerp wrote:Hi Peachcake, welcome to and glad you're enjoying the site :D most parents with small kids have a basic kit of food, drinks, basic 1st aid and hygiene with them. un knowing preppers!
Have already thought about alterations to the 2 cloth bags, added toothbrush and cover and tpaste in a travel bottle yesterday.
Have been considering buying a lifestraw - 100l/250 gallons, and thinking about making a prefilter for my water bottles (coffee filter paper, pantyhose and elastic band) as an experiment. Also buying some water purification tablets.
being housebound my EDC is pretty much my entire preps.. hehheh. But am thinking re what to take on my rare, rare excursions.
Happy prepping preeps

Razerp, you can get a family straw that will do 15000ltr will purify enough drinking water for a family of 4-5 for about 3yrs. It's made by the same mob. I brought one as part of a long term prep...it's $80-90 from memory but feel its worth the money. I've just ordered a regular straw for my EDC and have the puri tabs in my meds kit.
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 pm

G'day Peachcake and welcome. Because you're a mum you already have the greatest motivator to prep.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Peachcake wrote:I enjoy this site and have just joined.. Loads of useful info.. I realize being a mother of small children that I have all of the above in my car with the addition of a vomit bag clean undies for the kids and long lasting snacks.. I am a closet prepper at the moment and have a hidden stash if things throughout my house.. Just saying hi.. That is all .. How'd I do too long winded.. ? First forum

G'day Peachcake - Welcome.
I did this last night with an additional message of 'Don't worry about being a closet Preparer bother you' As I think many of us are. I then went on in detail with some more info and hit submit ( about the same time to the second that Beacon submitted his) and 'POOF' G-O-N-E! Cyder gods in cyber space had a need of it more than you apparently. :D

So for a condensed version - G'day - Welcome - Read the posts of interesrt - GoodLuck. :)
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:04 am

My sister became a better prepper without even knowing it when she had her kid.

We go out an I spill something on my self and a paper towel appears, if it is sticky then a wet wipe appears! Come the SHTF I am going to get a pram, the amount of pockets and things you can put in them is amazing.
0 x
What you don't know can't hurt you :)

razerp

Postby razerp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 am

Here are the amended contents of my 72hr Food/Basic Bag

1 Uncle ben's Microwavable Special fried rice - can be cooked other ways
1 Harvest 425gm Tortellini
1x Harvest 425gm Beef and Red wine casserole
1x 230gm Hormel Compleats Sesame Chicken -
1x Edgell instant mashed potato 100g
2x 90g flavoured Tuna
1x 420g Heinz beans and sausages
2x 220g Baked beans
3x 110g Sardines in Tom Sauce
3x 600 ml Spring water - i have 2x 1l water bottles that will be in my backpack
1x pack of crown mints
1x 300 gm Choc Fruit and nuts
1x DD Eucalyptus and Honey
5x Jarrah Coffee drinks sachets various flavours
3x Moccona Coffee sticks
20x Splenda sachets
6x muesli bars
3x Cuppa Soups

5x Toothpick flossers
12 ibuprofen
12 paracetamol
12 Fish oil capsules
12 multivitamin tablets
1 Four colour pen
1 Slim Sharpie
1 Small notebook
1 Crank Torch - Phone Charger
1 USB 3-in-1 cable - Ipod/Iphone, mini usb, micro usb
1 Pair First aid scissors
1 Bic lighter
6 Tealight candles in a Ziploc bag
1 Ziploc bag with First aid supplies - 6 Alcohol Swabs, 8 bandaids, 1 Triangular bandage, 1 small gauze compress, 1 med dressing, 1 pack Butter mentol (medicated cough lollies), 1 Chapstick, 1 Vicks Nasal decongestant inhaler, i small ziploc with 20 cotton earbuds, i pair nitrile gloves, small roll scotch tape.
2 microfibre cloths
1 Solar powered Fan/led light
1 mp3/mp4 player
1x Extra Large Space Blanket
1 toothbrush with cover, small bottle of toothpaste
1 of the Cloth bags and a few ziploc bags as well
1 Roll of TP
1 Pack of body Fresh wipes
FNQ, smack my hand... i forgot to buy BugPissOff :(

All the food can be prepared with a minimum of hassle, most can be eaten without cooking if necessary. I have some small Sultana Bran equivalent boxes on the way, they may go in as might some small uht milk for cereal, and coffee whitener powder. Also have a knife, fork, spoon and steak knife, must add a can opener

It's still heavy, but as i'm not lugging it around it's acceptable. It is now in a small roll along suitcase.
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:42 pm

Pretty damn good kit you've put together there Razerp, but I wonder if there is enough water? A bare minimum would be 1-1.5 litres a day for an adult (more if undertaking physical labour) Could you chuck another litre in there?
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Hmmmmmm! and again Hmmm~!
(I dont hold a grudge adout calling 'Wilson' a - soccer ball!!! and that has no reflection on my impartial judgenent by myself and 'Wilson').

razerp QUOTE - "FNQ, smack my hand... i forgot to buy BugPissOff
All the food can be prepared with a minimum of hassle, most can be eaten without cooking if necessary. I have some small Sultana Bran equivalent boxes on the way, they may go in as might some small uht milk for cereal, and coffee whitener powder. Also have a knife, fork, spoon and steak knife, must add a can opener" - end Quote.

i forgot to buy BugPissOff and your a Qld'r 2.......!!!!!

AND - I'd ad some dry prunes - with low water intake and your food list I do foresee some 'clogged' :oops: movements :oops: - sorry moments. :)

8-) On a serious not I'd add some home made packs of a trail mix which you can do at home - consists of nuts(peanuts), sultanas, sesame seed dried shredded wilson - sorry- coconut, rolled oats, sunflower, (all can be dry fried in a pan at home, this kills any larvae or eggs that all ready are in the supermarket packs, and sultanas, just freeze them for a day or so thaw, alow to dry & add to mix - think you get the idea - small zip-lock bags and just grab and snack on the move. ( you need to keep the levels up with low GI foods) and have a water bottle for easy access. Camel packs are popular - personally I still like the old jungle green pistol belt with the old M/F buckle and 2-3, 1xltr bottle w/alice clip holders. (sorry if spellings crappy - it's 2am and I had to get up and write some ideas down). :geek:
Further - you mentioned ýour BOB is on the heavy side - you do need to consider that you may have to go yourself to a safe area like high ground or something similar, a plan that relies on others to help is not very secure in maintaining your own survival.
:idea: Try to locate an old golf cart :idea: - two good sized wheels and a long handle will make movement more managable for you with a few small modifications - or get a couple of 'ratchett straps', once those guys are tightened - they wont move - also can multi-use if in need of a strong rope like item.
Reserve the right to post score till later date :ugeek:
:idea: Also -try and get the old style 'plunge can opener' I have tried a few and all the wind-up ones break after a bit - those old ones will outlast us all. Just a suggetion.
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:15 pm

susannah755 wrote:Pretty damn good kit you've put together there Razerp, but I wonder if there is enough water? A bare minimum would be 1-1.5 litres a day for an adult (more if undertaking physical labour) Could you chuck another litre in there?

:shock: Sorry "Susannah755" - must dissagree with your water needs figures, way off IMO. Added the PDF thats not bad to show basic needs.
:shock: (sorry - just really like that :shock: :shock: little guy - sleep depravation does funny things to you after some time 8-) ) :shock: :shock:

[PDF]
Basic 'Water ~Requirements for Human Activities: - Pacific Institute

http://www.pacinst.org/reports/basic_wa ... _needs.pdf

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
by PH Gleick - Cited by 448 - Related articles
these daily minimum water requirements can increase. In a hot climate, ... that substantial populations live in tropical and subtrop- ical climates, it is necessary to ... health advantages of access to adequate sanitation facilities. Table 3. Average ...
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”