• Advertisement

A Hypothetical - What If? - then a look at Role Reversal.

Beacon

Re: A Hypothetical - What If? - then a look at Role Reversa

Postby Beacon » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 pm

susannah755 wrote:
ranger2012 wrote:Its night and naked woman runs into camp, would you
A) Say "hot damn" B) Bring a blanket and console the women, C) Be wary and expect an ambush, D) All of the above

C....if she's naked she's not a prepper.

Be very weary, I wouldn't Imagine she would have been able to get too far in that state so if not a trap, whatever shes's running from is close!
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm

Beacon wrote:
susannah755 wrote:
ranger2012 wrote:Its night and naked woman runs into camp, would you
A) Say "hot damn" B) Bring a blanket and console the women, C) Be wary and expect an ambush, D) All of the above

C....if she's naked she's not a prepper.

Be very weary, I wouldn't Imagine she would have been able to get too far in that state so if not a trap, whatever shes's running from is close!

Being female I know that my first instinct would be to "disappear" but still be able to observe the "threat" so I wonder why a woman would be running around naked at night and coming into your camp. I agree with Beacon....it has to be a trap, maybe to find out how many are in your group and what you've got.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

Grey-Wolf

Postby Grey-Wolf » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Great point Beacon, I am in the process of building a fortified fall back location for a small group, I have no intention of this location ever being necessary however I would rather have a safe point and not need it than need it and not have it. At the location I have a large stockpile of purified water and food stuff (all hidden in underground caches large plastic crates sunk into the ground at various points).

The whole point is for my safe zone to be set up and all good for a major SHTF scenario. I have designed LED light systems for each room/ hut they are run on a solar battery from Fire pannels(lasts for ages, trying to work out a simple wind up adaptaion to these as a back up). I am in the porcces of designing basic tap/ watering systems, defences, showering and cleaning facilities on site. This can be dificult as the distants I must travel to the location limits daylight works as I am relliying on hand tools and muscle rather than any machinary to draw attention to the site. It also gives me the chance to work out new methods if the power goes out in our normal lifes I will still have the physical, mental and knowledge to complete the tasks required.

It would be great if a major SHTF scenario happened and we could go back to normal however I think humanity will be then formed into two groups those that wish to return to normality and those that have become acustomed to the nomadic/ more primitive lifestyle. Then again some people just wont want to go back for action they undertook while the SHTF cannibalism, extreme violence, murder etc. I for one whouldnt want to come back to our society as is because it would just allow another SHTF situation bring everything back down over our ears, we would have to adapt, change our outlooks to better survive another situation.
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 pm

I think we will have a third group to contend with as well, that will be those that group together and form a feudal system with them as the ones reaping the benefits from others hard work - these ones, once they have a taste of power will fight any who try to restore a natural order or balance to society. There exists plenty of examples throughout history that show this type of mentality and they don't move aside on a voluntary basis. This is what I can see happen after a major event befalls us all. You will also have all those other incidents that Grey-Wolf mentioned, but the primary structure will go to 3 cultures -
- Those that did prepare
- Those that didn't prepare
- And those that have increased there stature and standing by living of others possibly to the extent of having slaves.
Who would stop them from doing so????
Human species can be primitive and cruel and doesn't need much to revert back to what they think is acceptable living at other people or society standards or expenses.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 am

Not that I have put a lot of thought into it but I always figured that my bug-out mountain top retreat would have a quarantine zone. A walled area secure from the road but cut off from the main population. A place where you could could shelter and feed newcomers without giving them access to the main population. Before anyone was allowd into the main group they would need to be debriefed and indoctrinated, find out what they know about their travelling companions, how long they have been travelling and any news from outside the walls.

I think a period of being safe, fed, medicated, housed with a comfortable bed and being given hot showers with soap would make people want to stay rather than pillage and move on. It would also give you time to find out what skills they have and where you can put them to work.

Of course you have the other option which Kurt Saxon put forward with his essay on "Killer Caravans" http://www.textfiles.com/survival/caravans
0 x
What you don't know can't hurt you :)

Beacon

Postby Beacon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 am

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=C5cgaKeJ ... 5cgaKeJex0

I'm sure you have seen this vid from 'Rich Dad, Poor Dad' author Robert kiyosaki...it got me thinking that only ignorance would let me think that the elitist is unaware of our current situation and not preparing. Their preps would be/must be beyond belief. I'd hazard at a guess of close to, if not more than 100yrs sustainability for many...with power generation, production capacities...wouldn't you? My primitive formula is simply looking at America's Joe Bloggs prepper (even the extreme with 10-20-30+yrs sustainability) this would be nothing compared to what prepping capacity the 'cream' of society can achieve. Now let's consider governments...

Point being, don't be fooled thinking our post SHTF world will be freed from the controlling few...the abandoned, rejected, unprepared will be recruited, mobilized and 'forced' against opposing forces...the buy in is i'll feed you, your woman, your children in return for...mobilisation won't be 100's of years...this will be with the knowledge of 100's of years of human experiences in oppressing and controlling the masses...of course all in my opinion. Either way it's food for thought, I don't think the reorganization is going to be a 'in-due' time event, I think rather the plan will be mobilized ASAP...would'nt you? Would you wait until the opposing force has regrouped, rearmed, increased in numbers? Doubtfully...comes back to the underpinning principles...prepare for all possibilities, don't for once think you have all angles covered I.e. remain open to change, surround yourself with like-minded people...be relentless and tenacious in your efforts...
0 x

Grey-Wolf

Postby Grey-Wolf » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Can you honestley blame some people for taking that option thoug hypotheticly of course. It would be like in Mexico or Africa during there civil wars/ drug trades, the starving and needy will do whatever they can to survive, I can honestley say I would probably do the same given limited option. It is human nature to want to live and survive that is why we prep because we want to live if something bad happens not just get by.

When my food stores get low, game gets scarce, ammo and water start running out, I would have to really consider becoming the bad guy and I think that is something many of us need to come to grips with. What will be your moral line, will it even matter. I know that if I am starving and I have my group looking to me for leadership I would honestly consider raiding that unguarded campsite, it is a simple mentality and I hope it never comes down to that.

I would much rather set up a system of trade with other for lack of a better word "Colonies" than to have to raid to survive, looking at it logically though trading would be even more dangerous than defending a BOL or safe zone, your transporting goods along a predetermined route, whats stopping someone from ambushing you, the other colony taking what they want, or an opertunistic person following you both back to your location. there are just too many angles to try and watch to cover yourself, I understand some of you may believe a leap of faith or a little trust will be needed. I will fight tooth and nail, be watchful, play dirty and do all in my power to survive, I have a small list of people whom I trust and would honestly really consider giving them private information, the rough location of my BOL or alternate BOL so in case of an emergency we could have a "Iwatch your back you watch mine" system going.

WHEN this world goes to shit I want to be the one that is sitting nice and safe in my loaction with a system of trade and defences going to keep all with me safe and fed, what do you want??
0 x

Beacon

Postby Beacon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:36 am

Grey-Wolf wrote:Can you honestley blame some people for taking that option thoug hypotheticly of course. It would be like in Mexico or Africa during there civil wars/ drug trades, the starving and needy will do whatever they can to survive, I can honestley say I would probably do the same given limited option. It is human nature to want to live and survive that is why we prep because we want to live if something bad happens not just get by.

When my food stores get low, game gets scarce, ammo and water start running out, I would have to really consider becoming the bad guy and I think that is something many of us need to come to grips with. What will be your moral line, will it even matter. I know that if I am starving and I have my group looking to me for leadership I would honestly consider raiding that unguarded campsite, it is a simple mentality and I hope it never comes down to that.

I would much rather set up a system of trade with other for lack of a better word "Colonies" than to have to raid to survive, looking at it logically though trading would be even more dangerous than defending a BOL or safe zone, your transporting goods along a predetermined route, whats stopping someone from ambushing you, the other colony taking what they want, or an opertunistic person following you both back to your location. there are just too many angles to try and watch to cover yourself, I understand some of you may believe a leap of faith or a little trust will be needed. I will fight tooth and nail, be watchful, play dirty and do all in my power to survive, I have a small list of people whom I trust and would honestly really consider giving them private information, the rough location of my BOL or alternate BOL so in case of an emergency we could have a "Iwatch your back you watch mine" system going.

WHEN this world goes to shit I want to be the one that is sitting nice and safe in my loaction with a system of trade and defences going to keep all with me safe and fed, what do you want??

I agree completely and I wouldn't blame anybody just as I wouldn't hesitate taking as many of then down with me as I could if push came to shove. Absolutely I'd do the same if it meant the survival of me and mine. I'm not well networked and am only new to prepping in terms of caching stores. Although I'm open to forming alliances and building networks I'm acutely aware of feeling vulnerable so cautious (like a lot of us I guess).

I like your thoughts of trade and community, hopefully I come across like minded ppl in my patch of bush and don't need to consider other options...
0 x

Grey-Wolf

Postby Grey-Wolf » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:59 am

what neck of the woods would that be, NO exact locations state and rough location I.e upper western sa etc.
0 x

Beacon

Postby Beacon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:04 pm

SEQ Hinterland - our immediate threat is bush fire so prodominately I'm a bug out prepper I've prepped for longer term threat as it wouldn't take long before the populated city heads our way when SHTF. I've reeced a BOL and have supply caches along three routes.

Once I'm satisfied I'll focus closer to home...
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”