• Advertisement

A Hypothetical - What If? - then a look at Role Reversal.

FNQ'er-1

A Hypothetical - What If? - then a look at Role Reversal.

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 am

All right you lot down-under - this forum is getting slow - need to see others input and ideas!

A hypothetical for you all.

Part 1.
We have been networking now for some time you have your contacts that are trusted - for various reasons you have to leave your location - would you;
A) Head to one of their locations and seek refuge?
B) Would head out to find a new location to become established in?

Part 2.
One of the regulars you have established a repour with and a trusted member on your network list has arrived at your location unannounced. Would you,
A) Welcome them into you stronghold with the attitude that have to do it out of a sense of loyalty only.
B) Begrudgingly welcome them but let them know you cant sustain their stay for long.
C) Welcome him as a lost brother and brain-storm how you both can now improve your chances against future threats.

Again a hypothetical - but hope to get you all to think closely at your own selves some what more closely and set realistic goals that will put you in both positions and then if an event occurs, this might help with the RIGHT choices.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Jislizard

Re: A Hypothetical - What If? - then a look at Role Reversa

Postby Jislizard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:11 am

There is no way I could survive on my own. I do not have enough skills and I recognise this. I would need to encourage people to come to me to help defend against larger numbers, produce crops and stop me going crazy.

If any of you can play Carcassonne then you are welcome around my place if SHTF.
0 x
What you don't know can't hurt you :)

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:31 am

That was the short answer...

Most of the "information" (read "Doomsday Preppers!") I have come across suggests having a bug-out location as well as a bug-in location. I can't afford to have a seperate place somewhere outside of the main cities, I can't even afford the house I live in. So for me the option of having somewhere to go if Redcliffe was hit would be limited and there is no way I could carry all my stockpiles with me.

Having seen the American preppers who have food to last themselves for 20 years then you can see how it would be handy to have enough food for a fellow prepper to come and join you. Instead of having one bug out location you could have several spread out over the whole country at no extra cost, or at least, just the extra cost of having more food stockpiled. Much cheaper than land.

I guess it would depend on your location, when I get my farm you are all welcome to come if SHTF for whatever reason, but if you all turn up in my small unit I can see us all getting on each others' nerves after a very short space of time.

If due to solar flare/civil unrest the telecommunications were out then you couldn't call ahead to see if they had space for you or if they were willing to take you in, that sort of thing has to be discussed before the situation occurs.

If you were part of a refuge column heading out of a disaster area then everyone will be looking for a new place to establish themselves, resources will be low and highly fought over. Having a location in mind that is well stocked and friendly would be a bonus.

If a lone prepper turns up seeking shelter then I say welcome them with open arms, if they turn up with family and friends then depending on your state of preparations welcome them all in, they will all serve a purpose. Depending on the situation I think that the strongest community will survive.

I think

Part 1: A
Part 2: C

Preparing for disaster should include building a network that you can trust, not just hiding under the covers till it all blows over. In many situations you would never need to use another prepper, you would probably try friends and family first but as a Plan B, a prepper would do nicely.

Please now all PM me with your addresses and also a quick list of how much Ice Cream you have stockpiled, it will help me chose who to go to first.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:36 am

Ok if given the same options here in the breathtaking Province of Ontario in the magnificent country of Canada without a doubt the answers would be:
Part 1: A
Part 2: C
0 x

ranger2012

Postby ranger2012 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 am

Its night and naked woman runs into camp, would you
A) Say "hot damn" B) Bring a blanket and console the women, C) Be wary and expect an ambush, D) All of the above
0 x
"We 'Prep.' to live after a downfall, Not just to survive."

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:51 am

No brainer - "C".
It's a distraction as they have by-passed my alarms to do this.
0 x

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:00 am

ranger2012 wrote:Its night and naked woman runs into camp, would you
A) Say "hot damn" B) Bring a blanket and console the women, C) Be wary and expect an ambush, D) All of the above

Good point, I must remember to add blankets to my prep list, just in case!
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 am

Jislizard wrote:
ranger2012 wrote:Its night and naked woman runs into camp, would you

Good point, I must remember to add blankets to my prep list, just in case!

For a walk-out-kit try a space blanket - small light and compact (do they still make them or do they have a new yuppie-ish name like 'Thermal mountain shelter'??? or Himalayan Hoochi???
or some other name with similar price tag for a niche market???
0 x

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 am

Our local "Dollars and Sense" carries them in the camping section, very cheap! I am sure I have some in the car.
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:32 am

Picked up a space blanket this week from evilbay for $0.06 plus $1.50 postage, it's already arrived at my mail drop. Got 1 in the St John's kit now one for the Bag.

Oh as to the heading to preeps places (prepping peeps). Doubt the Bunker here would be on ya'lls list, but in a Undies staining situation if you could sleep in an armchair it may work. i do snore
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”