• Advertisement

Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills OR m

razerp

Re: Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills

Postby razerp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

it might only be a replica.. but its got a niiiiice long blade.. 21 inches i believe.. its of a US army 1943.. i bought cause it looked cool.. even in my mitt it looks like a short sword.. and i love the blood groove - has a hard plastic sheath,

my heads fulla theoritical (mostly) ;) how to make weapons etc

does using 100 rubber bands from the postie to make a shanghie outta the corner fence to fling macadamia nuts and the occasional bent wire coathanger at neighbourhood assclowns make me inventive or ...?
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Faraday

Postby Faraday » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Great question, I like to mix it up. I'm not sure if they used solar water disinfection back in the day but I think it's a useful skill to know. I like all the old ways, backwoods, learn to survive with nothing type information and that way if you have something, even a sharp stick, life seems much easier. I think that if we get back to the basics of survival in our own location, we should be able to make it through almost anything that is possible to survive.
I can't really wrap my head around a global volcanic and nuclear winter type event that I heard was being predicted. Maybe there are some things we just aren't meant to survive. If life will be lonely and as horrific as in "The Road" movie, maybe I would have been better off being the first round out.
0 x
If your home library contains more volumes about survival-related topics than your local public library, you might be a prepper.

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Faraday wrote:Great question, I like to mix it up. I'm not sure if they used solar water disinfection back in the day but I think it's a useful skill to know. I like all the old ways, backwoods, learn to survive with nothing type information and that way if you have something, even a sharp stick, life seems much easier. I think that if we get back to the basics of survival in our own location, we should be able to make it through almost anything that is possible to survive.
I can't really wrap my head around a global volcanic and nuclear winter type event that I heard was being predicted. Maybe there are some things we just aren't meant to survive. If life will be lonely and as horrific as in "The Road" movie, maybe I would have been better off being the first round out.

Very good Faraday - I was wondering when someone would hit on that.

Do we want to survive a global event that forever changes the world as we know it?

Have any of you considered the ramifications of a true global disaster? It leaves only a small % of survivors and human nature being what it is - the strong will prey on the weak. The have nots will want what the haves have. Life will be cheap and slavery will re-emerge. If you think we will all be friends later - you do need to do a quick reality check and a quick walk through our past history. I will be content in my little corner and will do OK, but I won't allow just anyone to trespass - they do so at their own risk. There are exceptions to the rule of course - my network are considered as allies and are more than welcome to my last crumb, but stranger danger, that only has one scenario as an outcome. As once your presence is detected it's a matter of time.
IMO there are different levels of tolerance to different levels of events something like a Tsunami or catastrophic earthquake I will be the first one to step up and help where I can.
On the othersider if it goes global like a super caldera or a mutated form of Ebola - all bets are off with helping strangers - they then are factored in as threats when it comes to the safety of me, mine and trusted allies.
Then we go to the limited survival skills and primitive technology. As Supplies DO run out, ammo runs out, leaves little options then, so pointy sticks look good to me as an alternative.

Lets go all-in here.
Survival costs $$
Supplies cost $$
Weapons cost $$

Do you really have enough for long term say the rest of your life? Do you have enough for 10 years? 5 years? 1 year? 6 months? 1 month? A day?
If yes then you must have one huge storeroom.
The human psyche is a complex machine - we are heard animals with primal instincts at heart - although somewhat suppressed now a days - is still a part of our genetic makeup.
We need fire at night for comfort and security - if you have been out at night alone with no fire then the world seems a big scary place in the dark. Back in our early history many caveman would be taken as prey by night time hunters - we naturally fear the unknown and what we cant see.
Your well being improves with fire, if you add a weapon, even something as simple as a pointy stick will improve your chances, I would rather have this with me facing a pack of feral dogs than my good intentions.
The purpose of this original posted topic is designed to get you to look at the hard questions and question your self. If it has worked for one person then it has improved that persons chance in an extreme event.

I remember hearing something long ago that went like this;

"The world is a stage and we are merely role players with a very small roll in a big production".
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Grey-Wolf

Postby Grey-Wolf » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 pm

I love when we get discussions going like this,

I for one agree with FNQ'ER-1 ( surprise surprise ) , I have a pretty decent collection of weapons/ tools and equipment, mainly props from old HSC film making class, ranging from swords and shields to axes, spears, bows and arrows etc props but none the less usable at both hunting, construction, defence and offence, research into primitive fighting formations, combat styles, stockade construction, defensive positions and tactics have given me a bit of a competitive edge in “theory”. I say in theory because I can not guarantee these things will necessarily help me a great deal because no plan runs perfect, we need to adapt to any and all possible situations if we as a species is to survive.

I believe if it comes to these kinds of conflicts in the "Dark times" ahead humanity will revert to a more dominant culture ruling over the weak as it always has done. I for one will do everything I can to protect those close and dear to me in case of a SHTF situation and the “Fall out” for lack of a better word to come after. Because no one can say for sure what will or won’t happen I believe it is our responsibility to try everything we can to be prepared for such a situation whether it be a cyclone, fire, flood or drought even on a more apocalyptic scale infection, war, famine, meteorite or volcano.

Stock up on food and provisions, but don’t think you wont need to defend them, alternatively don’t be a two assault rifle toting bullet proof vest wearing wanker with a pack of two minute noodles, sooner or later ammo runs dry and two minute noodles while tasty wont last forever. We all will need to find a fine mix between the two to ensure the survival of our loved ones and ourselves if something terrible were to happen.

As for the technological preference, the same mentality will need to be taken. A gun is good but will eventually break down or run out of ammo and unless you have a portable workshop and gun smithing skills it will be a very nice looking club but that’s about it, I think we will need to conserve bullets for hunting large game or intimidation factor against other people be they a threat. Primitive tech will be required for food storage, to grow food, herd livestock, hunting small game, shelter construction etc. There are some skills we will definitely need to keep from our current life style I.E medical, dental however sooner or later the aspro will run low and so to will tooth paste etc so we may need to look at how people used natural remedies and oral hygiene.

I know my posts are getting bigger and may sound funny to most but I usually look at a more worse case scenario rather than a simpler more likely situation, I would rather be over prepared compared to under prepared.
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”