• Advertisement

Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills OR m

FNQ'er-1

Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills OR m

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm

What's Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More Ancient Tech/Skills OR Modern Based?

My reasoning behind these Questions is for people preparing, is to look at yourself and in some cases reassess your strategy.

Having 2,000, 200ltr drums of beans and enough ammo to supply NATO are of little use if you need to get out of your loc either by a time based withdrawal (rising ocean levels as example) or you are rudely awoken by a troop of 6 heavily armed 'Bush Masters' crashing through your door armed with turret mounted 50cals or minis !!!!

Are you planning for the short term or the long term?

A long term scenario is a possibility - if a super volcano/caldera event occur - the general consensus is, after an event such as this the survivors would face the equivalent of a two year nuclear winter at a minimum.
Here are a couple of paragraphs I took from two articles - doesn't really matter where from as they all pretty much say the same thing....

QUOTE 1 - { Super Volcano Theory
Around 74,000 years ago, a super volcano eruption lead the earth into a volcanic winter which killed two thirds of the plants in the northern hemisphere, made thousands of species go extinct and reduced the human race to about 10,000}.
QUOTE 2 - { The UK and the rest of Earth would not escape. We would all be affected, wherever we were. Global temperatures would plummet by at least 21 degrees. This could last for many years, meaning that all plant life will slowly die off. We will have no vegetables; animals -- our meat -- will have no food, so humankind would likely starve.

Any of us surviving commoners will have a miserable existence. The sun does not just provide warmth -- it is also needed for our mental well being, as the high winter rates of suicide in Iceland show. No fresh food would also cause malnutrition at levels we have never seen. Most of Europe and the rest of the world will slowly perish.

Tinned food will be the only luxury and those that live near enough to it will be those who survive longest}.
Are you ready for the long term - the possibility of being isolated and how this does have a psychological effect on your person and mental health???
The trauma of a global event totally changing the course and face of evolution and mankind's continual survival should also be factored in.
I have done these Isolation exercises - they are an eye-opener.

Back in the UK in the cold war era 50's to 60's or some where around there and the results did shake the powers that be to some degree. - they did some experiments on the human physic - the following is a condensed version of this trial;
3 fall-out shelters were built.
1 was basic just a hole in the ground with a sheets of iron and O.H.P. to dissipate radiation exposure. Another was a better built back-yard basic family version. The third could be classed as the 'RITZ' of bunker living.

The one thing in common was the time spent in these 'bunkers'. When it was over - they all said "In the event that a nuclear attack occurred - they would now stay above ground". They said this knowing there was only a small chance of survival above ground - to them this was a better option to face compared to isolation and confinement that they had just experienced.
This supports my statement I have gone with all through this;

Preparation is 25% preparing and 75% mind set. ( You can have the best survival kit available in the world but if you are not mentally prepared you will fail).

We are a communal living species and tests done on similar species that adopt these traits show over time mass trauma to the test subject.
So that leaves us a very long time to survive with diminishing supplies each day we survive, those that are left may all end up running around with sharpened pointy sticks.

I for one would like to know as much about the primitive ways/technology as possible now - and hope I never need to use them - I'd rather fail trying them now and practise more today, than try to learn them tomorrow, when my survival IS dependant on them for me and mine to continue to survive.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Jislizard

Re: Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills

Postby Jislizard » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:23 am

No strategy! Too many things can go wrong, you can be prepared but not prepared for every specific event.

The main thing is coming to terms that you are on your own, the Government is not going to come and rescue you.

If any of the events occured I think you would find a lot of people dropping like flies from despair. The herd are too used to the Government looking after them, if the government stops looking after them they will look around for someone else to look after them, Red Cross, Salvation Army etc. Or maybe their family will look after them, or friends perhaps. Neighbours? The weird guy with 2,000 200 lt drums of beans?

Very few people will be able to shift paradigms quickly enough, and it will be the first few weeks of a crisis that would be vital, I think once you surive the initial shock the rest will become routine soon enough, even if it is a different kind of routine than you are used to!
0 x
What you don't know can't hurt you :)

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:58 am

Ah pointed sticks, the tried and true spear. Not as primitive as you might think. I highly recommend one for home defence. They are excellent in close quarters. Check out the assegai or Zulu spear. If you do not want to make one and you have $50 or so to spare you can purchase one from Cold Steel among other manufacturers. the 3ft shaft for home defence or the 6ft shaft for hunting. A truly deadly weapon. Here is the link. http://www.coldsteel.com/aswishsh.html
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am

Australian Customs Site;
firearms and weapons

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372 ... FactSheets

Most firearms are controlled on import into Australia and require permission to import.

Category} - Items that ARE or MAY BE subject to control
Firearms & Related}Goods} -paintball guns; bb guns; soft air firearms; rifles; handguns; shotguns; muzzle loading firearms; replicas; imitation firearms; toy firearms; pistols; ammunition; parts; accessories; components;

Bladed Weapons } - tomahawks; throwing axes; throwing blades; throwing knives; spikes; kirpan; sword sticks; sword canes; daggers; double edged knives; bagh nakh; balisong; billao; belawa; cinquedea; corvo; dirk; fairbairn-sykes knife; jambiya; kalis; katara; khanjar; khanjali; kris; pata; punyal; rondel dagger; sgian dubh; sica; ballistic knives; knives that discharge a projectile; flick knives; stiletto knives; assisted opening knives, one hand opening knives; umbrella swords; star knives; shuriken; sheath knives; push knives; push dagger; fist knife; t-handle knife; katara or suwaiya; battle axes; trench knife; karambit; kerambit; butterfly swords; push spikes;

Martial Arts } - star knives; shuriken; spiked kubotan; kusari fundo; ninja stars; chinese stars; nunchaku; three-sectional staff; triple staff; three-art staff; sansetsukon; sanjiegun; chain whip;

Sporting Weapons} - crossbows; pistol crossbows; blowpipes; blowguns; blow darts; darts; shark darts;
Law Enforcement & Military} - tanks; military vehicles; body armour; protective armour; protective vests; tactical vests; training armour; ballistic helmets; protective helmets; large calibre munitions; launchers; grenades; taser; tazar; shock torches; inert grenades; ammunition; trench art; shell casings;

Anti-personnel Weapons} - pepper spray; mace; capsaicin; defender spray; riot control items;
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:13 am

And then we have these allowed ones with no Control;
AUSTRALIAN CUSTOMS SITE;
Most firearms are controlled on import into Australia and require permission to import.

firearms and weapons

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372 ... FactSheets

Category} - Items that are NOT subject to control

Firearms & Related Goods} - nailing and stapling guns; explosive-powered fixing tools; flare guns, or other signaling devices, designed for emergency or life-saving purposes; line-throwers; hand-operated devices that use blank cartridges to propel objects for retrieval in connection with the training of dogs; tranquilliser guns; guns that operate a captive bolt for the slaughter of animals; devices for the casting of weighted nets; sidewall core guns designed for geological purposes, mining purposes, or both and expandable casing perforation guns designed for geological purposes, mining purposes, or both.
Bladed Weapons} - standard kitchen knives; single edge swords; traditional samurai and katana swords; bayonets designed to be fitted to a firearm; two handed opening knives; rubber training knives; multi tools; stanly knives; khukri; kukri; bowie knives; machete; spears; spear heads; bolo; dao; iaito; jian; kopis;
Martial Arts } - sai; jitte; single edge swords; traditional samurai and katana swords; eskrima; arnis; kali; hanbo; jo; shillelagh; tambo; tonfa; yari; bo; bokken; kama; bokken; sjambok; iaito;
Sporting Weapons } - spears; spearheads; compound bows and general archery equipment such as bows and arrows (crossbows are controlled);

Law Enforcement & Military } - motorcycle helmets; bike or bicycle helmets; replica grenades; non military armoued vehicles; plastic greandes;

Anti-Personnel Weapons} - stink bombs;
Laser Pointers } - laser modules; laser diodes; laser lighting;

( Spears are apparently permitted) :D
0 x

Beacon

Postby Beacon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:32 pm

http://www.smashinglists.com/10-most-da ... -on-earth/

Interesting list of super volcanoes...I was misinformed that SEQ Mt Warning and surrounding scenic rim was a super volcano but further research suggests not...whilst it is a big volcano with an impressive caldera that extends in to the ocean, it is nothing compared to those on the list above...
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 pm

I've seen the same list (and others as well - it appears thgat those in the know can't agree on them either) LOL - was OK when they referred to just yellowstone caldera, (didn't know about the rest and was happy not to) but this list has 3 more or less on our door step. I also think there are 2 in NZ (Whakamaru & Lake Taupo), that weren't mentioned!!!!

Sort of equates to going through the jungle and seeing a sleeping tiger, you know he's going to wake up - the question is where will you be when he does????

We are located on the pacific ring of fire.

We seem to me to be hell bent on implementing our own demise as a civilization with Coal Seam Gas exploration. The maps of projected wells, locations for future wells and fields, etc, does make me wonder.

Did anyone actually check to see where existing fault lines, earthquake prone zones and such where in all this planning process?? Or did they just see $$$$$.

I will be the first to admit that I am against this Coal Seam Gas exploration method and technology that is used for that reason (and last years test wells being drilled nrear my loc and fraked and the resulting earthquakes that followed - of course were coincidental - they were caused from that new fault line that only just appeared).

My bore down south that I had put down tapped into a pristine water supply that was - who knows how old or when the last time it was exposed to sunlight - the point here is, it had travelled a very long time through under ground rock formations like our blood through our veins - and are all linked - all our volcanoes are linked as well. When you compare our time of existence to the earths 5 bil years and the big dark bit at night with stars - time in existence - Do we rate a time slot in the big picture???

This is a bit deep, but things should be in a perspective.

One day an event will occur that will change life on the earth as we know it. Any preparation I do will be of little use - but, I have done something that might give me a slight chance. Anyone that has done nothing I reckon will have no chance unless they adopt the gang mentality of take from whoever they can. I hope I'm dead wrong. I hope our kids will still be sitting at there desks in years to come debating similar issues on forums like these.

But we are coming to the end of a 10,000 year cycle that was a perfect habitat for human existence to thrive in - and we did and have.

Or were we to arrogant to learn during this time of plenty???
0 x

Beacon

Postby Beacon » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 am

FNQ'er-1 wrote:I've seen the same list (and others as well - it appears thgat those in the know can't agree on them either) LOL - was OK when they referred to just yellowstone caldera, (didn't know about the rest and was happy not to) but this list has 3 more or less on our door step. I also think there are 2 in NZ (Whakamaru & Lake Taupo), that weren't mentioned!!!!

Sort of equates to going through the jungle and seeing a sleeping tiger, you know he's going to wake up - the question is where will you be when he does????

We are located on the pacific ring of fire.

We seem to me to be hell bent on implementing our own demise as a civilization with Coal Seam Gas exploration. The maps of projected wells, locations for future wells and fields, etc, does make me wonder.

Did anyone actually check to see where existing fault lines, earthquake prone zones and such where in all this planning process?? Or did they just see $$$$$.

I will be the first to admit that I am against this Coal Seam Gas exploration method and technology that is used for that reason (and last years test wells being drilled nrear my loc and fraked and the resulting earthquakes that followed - of course were coincidental - they were caused from that new fault line that only just appeared).

My bore down south that I had put down tapped into a pristine water supply that was - who knows how old or when the last time it was exposed to sunlight - the point here is, it had travelled a very long time through under ground rock formations like our blood through our veins - and are all linked - all our volcanoes are linked as well. When you compare our time of existence to the earths 5 bil years and the big dark bit at night with stars - time in existence - Do we rate a time slot in the big picture???

This is a bit deep, but things should be in a perspective.

One day an event will occur that will change life on the earth as we know it. Any preparation I do will be of little use - but, I have done something that might give me a slight chance. Anyone that has done nothing I reckon will have no chance unless they adopt the gang mentality of take from whoever they can. I hope I'm dead wrong. I hope our kids will still be sitting at there desks in years to come debating similar issues on forums like these.

But we are coming to the end of a 10,000 year cycle that was a perfect habitat for human existence to thrive in - and we did and have.

Or were we to arrogant to learn during this time of plenty???

Taupo is my tribal grounds and has always had plenty of activity, Mt Tongiriro has recently become active (a month or so ago) spitting ash in the air and putting planes on standby...we have had a few eruptions in NZ over the years.

I was looking at Mt St Helen's eruption, reading up on the extent of damage etc...a super volcano would be 1000 times bigger than this. What I found interesting (here comes my conspiracy theorists mind) is that although scientists monitoring the site didn't make any noticeable change in activity they were compelled to evac months before the eruption. Consequently this saved lives, what makes me think is how/why did they convience the governor to evac? Surely to under take population evac there needs to be hard proof...but there was no noticible observations to base a claim. Am I missing something, does someone know anything of this?

Here's the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_erupt ... St._Helens
0 x

Gravlore

Postby Gravlore » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:51 am

Just bought a bow.
superkodiakgreen.png
superkodiakgreen.png (44 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”