• Advertisement

Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills OR m

FNQ'er-1

Re: Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More ancient tech/skills

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:54 am

Looks good.

Prefere my old 'Darton - Trailmaster' compound bow not pretty but efficient and effective :D - it's getting it's first 20+ year service. :D
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

razerp

Postby razerp » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:37 am

closest i have to a bow is an arm guard i picked up about 20 yrs from an op shop

Does lashing/duct taping my replica bayonet to a metal broom handle qualify as ancient or modern?
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:07 am

Nice bow Gravlore.
Re: video....she is really good. Thanks for sharing.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:08 am

razerp wrote:closest i have to a bow is an arm guard i picked up about 20 yrs from an op shop

Does lashing/duct taping my replica bayonet to a metal broom handle qualify as ancient or modern?

uuumm....I think it qualifies as scary :shock:
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:41 am

FNQ'er-1 wrote:What's Your Strategy 4 a Major Event. More Ancient Tech/Skills OR Modern Based?

My reasoning behind these Questions is for people preparing, is to look at yourself and in some cases reassess your strategy.

Having 2,000, 200ltr drums of beans and enough ammo to supply NATO are of little use if you need to get out of your loc either by a time based withdrawal (rising ocean levels as example) or you are rudely awoken by a troop of 6 heavily armed 'Bush Masters' crashing through your door armed with turret mounted 50cals or minis !!!!

Are you planning for the short term or the long term?

A long term scenario is a possibility - if a super volcano/caldera event occur - the general consensus is, after an event such as this the survivors would face the equivalent of a two year nuclear winter at a minimum.
Here are a couple of paragraphs I took from two articles - doesn't really matter where from as they all pretty much say the same thing....

QUOTE 1 - { Super Volcano Theory
Around 74,000 years ago, a super volcano eruption lead the earth into a volcanic winter which killed two thirds of the plants in the northern hemisphere, made thousands of species go extinct and reduced the human race to about 10,000}.
QUOTE 2 - { The UK and the rest of Earth would not escape. We would all be affected, wherever we were. Global temperatures would plummet by at least 21 degrees. This could last for many years, meaning that all plant life will slowly die off. We will have no vegetables; animals -- our meat -- will have no food, so humankind would likely starve.

Any of us surviving commoners will have a miserable existence. The sun does not just provide warmth -- it is also needed for our mental well being, as the high winter rates of suicide in Iceland show. No fresh food would also cause malnutrition at levels we have never seen. Most of Europe and the rest of the world will slowly perish.

Tinned food will be the only luxury and those that live near enough to it will be those who survive longest}.
Are you ready for the long term - the possibility of being isolated and how this does have a psychological effect on your person and mental health???
The trauma of a global event totally changing the course and face of evolution and mankind's continual survival should also be factored in.
I have done these Isolation exercises - they are an eye-opener.

Back in the UK in the cold war era 50's to 60's or some where around there and the results did shake the powers that be to some degree. - they did some experiments on the human physic - the following is a condensed version of this trial;
3 fall-out shelters were built.
1 was basic just a hole in the ground with a sheets of iron and O.H.P. to dissipate radiation exposure. Another was a better built back-yard basic family version. The third could be classed as the 'RITZ' of bunker living.

The one thing in common was the time spent in these 'bunkers'. When it was over - they all said "In the event that a nuclear attack occurred - they would now stay above ground". They said this knowing there was only a small chance of survival above ground - to them this was a better option to face compared to isolation and confinement that they had just experienced.
This supports my statement I have gone with all through this;

Preparation is 25% preparing and 75% mind set. ( You can have the best survival kit available in the world but if you are not mentally prepared you will fail).

We are a communal living species and tests done on similar species that adopt these traits show over time mass trauma to the test subject.
So that leaves us a very long time to survive with diminishing supplies each day we survive, those that are left may all end up running around with sharpened pointy sticks.

I for one would like to know as much about the primitive ways/technology as possible now - and hope I never need to use them - I'd rather fail trying them now and practise more today, than try to learn them tomorrow, when my survival IS dependant on them for me and mine to continue to survive.

I'm aiming at long term but I'm a long way off yet. My priority is the garden so that I can collect rainwater and produce fresh fruit and veggies for meals and also to dehydrate equal amounts to store for the longer term. I've only ever tried water-bath preserving a couple of times but I really prefer the dehydrated method and end product. I've been working on the assumption that, given my location (a long way from the coast) and living in a small community with bushland just across the "goat track" that a "depression type scenario" is more likely than a volcanic eruption or massive earthquake. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I just feel that a major economic downturn will impact on my ability to feel those that I care about and that it is more likely to happen sooner rather than later. Maybe I will be in a better position to deal with the points that FNQ'er brought up after I've learned more. Thanks for getting the grey matter pumping FNQ'er.
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 pm

susannah755, your in 'Vic-Mexico' right, take a gander at;
Romsey Australia: Volcanic eruption risk and maps
http://home.iprimus.com.au/foo7/volcmap.html

Think ya might have a change of mind.
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:45 pm

FNQ'er-1 wrote:susannah755, your in 'Vic-Mexico' right, take a gander at;
Romsey Australia: Volcanic eruption risk and maps
http://home.iprimus.com.au/foo7/volcmap.html

Think ya might have a change of mind.

Oh sh*t, oh sh*t :shock: smack in the middle of that area......... rethinking now. #1
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks for the link mate.....bookmarked and investigating.
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:56 pm

razerp wrote:closest i have to a bow is an arm guard i picked up about 20 yrs from an op shop

I see one of the characters from 'Lord if the Flies' with that get up of a kit. :) (Sorry razerp) :)

Or else your a real chest-thumpin-knuckle-dragger, called UGGH!! and was recently found in an ice pack and thawed and successfully re-animated.

Oh - God!! :roll: I gotta get a life :? ...... 'WIIILLLL--SONNN?'???
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:31 pm

There isn't really anywhere that hasn't copped a quake at some time or that isn't on a fault line is there?
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”