• Advertisement

Cylclones and Storms in Qld - what to do?

razerp

Cylclones and Storms in Qld - what to do?

Postby razerp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 am

Challenge accepted susannah..

ok FNQ... what do we do? ;)

Heh, my $0.05 worth to kick off (we don't have 2 centses anymore.. dang inflation

1st thing is Bookmark the BOM website, here is the link

http://www.bom.gov.au/index.shtml?ref=hdr

2nd - take your normal Storm precautions:
* Make sure things are charged eg laptop, lamps, mobile phones, portable entertainemt
* turn off non essential electricals, unplug any that might be damaged by a power surge eg pc's, stereos, tv's
* know where your torches and batteries are
* clear the yard of potential flying debris eg toys, lawn furniture, pets :P
* secure any pets
* make sure your emergency kit is up to date, and u know where your 1st aid kit is
* Close windows, curtains, (tape the windows if concerned, or if u have time/eqipment - board them up)
* Close inner doors - will stop banging if wind gets in
* keep a listen/watch on the reports via internet/radio/tv
* turn off the gas
* put frozen foods in the bottom of the freezer if u have a chest freezer- will stay cold longer
* make sure you have ready to eat foods/snacks
* water, water, water

3rd- if it gets really gnarly.. gather in a small interior room if possible, cover windows with blanket/quilt, if you have a largeish bathtub you and/or kids can shelter in it with a mattress/quilt over you

4th make sure you are insured and covered for storm damage

5th - contact some people- family, friends, neighbours b4 hand and agree to check in afterwards

my 5 cents to start
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

susannah755

Re: Cylclones and Storms in Qld - what to do?

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:47 am

Thanks Razerp, great post. Which area's of the "Great steamy North" are more prone to TC's?
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

razerp

Postby razerp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 am

Cyclones have crossed the Coast down Brisbane way, north of Bundaberg is more likely with Rockhampton to the tip the most likely zone. and across the top end

They do sometimes travel down near or sit off the coast down around level with brisbane

Bout right FNQ?
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 am

Cyclone tracks and details

Image below: Tropical cyclone tracks for cyclones that formed or moved through the Eastern region from 1970 - 2004. (See also: Tropical cyclones since 1906: Search for cyclones by season and location.)

Image below: Tropical cyclone tracks for cyclones that formed or moved through the Eastern region from 1970 - 2004. (See also: Tropical cyclones since 1906: Search for cyclones by season and location.)

(OK - cant post da map) - Tropical Cyclones in Queensland - here is da link: http://www.bom.gov.au/cyclone/about/cyc ... tern.shtml

then click on JUMP to "CYCLONE HISTORY" in : - Tropical Cyclones in Queensland

www.bom.gov.au › Tropical Cyclones › About Tropical Cyclones
Jump to Cyclone history‎: Image below: Tropical cyclone tracks for cyclones that formed or moved through the Eastern region from 1970 - 2004. (See also: ...
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:33 am

razerp wrote:Cyclones have crossed the Coast down Brisbane way, north of Bundaberg is more likely with Rockhampton to the tip the most likely zone. and across the top end

They do sometimes travel down near or sit off the coast down around level with brisbane

Bout right FNQ?

Pretty close - I think the map shows how agro and volatile our QLD coast can be.

On the insurance level - CHECK YOUR POLICIES FINE PRINT EVERY YEAR - YOU WONT GET ANY NASTY SURPRISES THEN.
( I use a broker friend of mine down south - used her as my agent for years - gets me a top deal where she can and I actually get to talk to a person and not a Bl _ _ dy machine. if shes out of the office or cant immediatly answer my question - she gets back to me with in 24 hrs. She may not be the cheapest option but here I pay for a service and in my opinion it's money well spent).
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:42 am

well i have a rellie working mid level in my insurance company.. i'm good on that front :)
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:50 am

Now one thing I have seen and still shake my head at is as soon as it looks like a T/C is heading our way people start to panic buy things like Bread, Milk, Tins of Beans - just to mention a couple of items.
Come on people we are in the tropics - how long does bread survive in high humidity without refrigeration - awwwe - gee I dunno?? Well I do - I have bread purchased today - mouldy tomorrow.

Also milk doesn't survive long either with out refrigeration!!! And how many people can face baked Bl_ _dy beans 3 times a day for weeks. Last year after Yasi hit I had friends in Townsville with out power for 9 days - that is the capitol of North Qld. Another guy I spoke with was out for something like 20 days on a branch line.

Then you have to contend with the roads cut for any length of time at least from Mackay to the extreme north is just about a definite situation - so with this in mind razerp I will include the one thing you missed;

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL YOUR MEDICATION YOU NEED FOR AT LEAST A 14 DAY PERIOD.

Apart from that you got bout every thing - give you an 7.5 no change that to a 7.9.
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:00 pm

I also found Yasi did present a problem that we never had to contend with in previous serious events - SOCIAL MEDIA - the new disaster devil.

Watching from my 'Bunker I was amazed at the Çhicken-Little' scenario of "The Sky is Falling - The Sky is Falling" I was witnessing mass panic on a social media level with people posting 'UPDATES' from thousands of km's away. I know people who fled inland from posts they read - I said to them are you for real????? People heading south were stranded along the road outside servos because they ran out of fuel - one servo in Airlie Beach ran out of fuel.
Seriously if we cop it this year listen to the ABC north Qld or local radio stations please. TURN SOCIAL MEDIA OF - unless you are on some of the credible weather sites - that are available - but start your search for these now - I already have all my sites locked in for this season. I only have a couple of little jobs to do and I'm good top go.
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Looks kinda "messy" doesn't it?

Right click mouse on image you would like to post and select "copy image location", come here and paste the location into your message, hi-light it and hit the "Img" button on the row above where you're typing....then preview to make sure it worked. Then submit away M-A-T-E.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks susannah755 - as you can tell i am some what technically challenged with some of this! :oops: :!: :!:
:oops: :!: :oops: :!: :oops: :!: :oops: :!: :oops: :!:
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”