• Advertisement

Cylclones and Storms in Qld - what to do?

razerp

Re: Cylclones and Storms in Qld - what to do?

Postby razerp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Facebook was very helpful to me during the Floods recently, it allowed me to stay in contact with several family members who were stranded without chewing up phone credit.

Also the SES, Qld police Service pages were full of more specific information than general news reports. wasn't on twitter for it.

My post got eaten,
Thanks for the score

can't believe i forgot medications
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 pm

:lol: FNQ'er - I struggle with it too sometimes.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:52 pm

razerp wrote:Facebook was very helpful to me during the Floods recently, it allowed me to stay in contact with several family members who were stranded without chewing up phone credit.

Also the SES, Qld police Service pages were full of more specific information than general news reports. wasn't on twitter for it.

My post got eaten,
Thanks for the score

can't believe i forgot medications

I've got email addresses for friends/family down on the coast.....never got into the facebook thing-just not my cuppa tea.
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:55 pm

OK....what do you BananaBenders use for refrigeration when the power goes out? We've got the option down south of a Coolgardie safe or Zeer pot (evap cooling methods) but they wouldn't work for you up in the top end due to humidity. Would you mind enlightening me?
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:56 pm

No - I only used it that once for an update for T/C Yasi - won't do that again - couldn't believe it I was often 10 pgs behind and all I did was read.
Not in the habit of repeating my mistakes. Will stick to my proven update sources.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:59 pm

susannah755 wrote:OK....what do you BananaBenders use for refrigeration when the power goes out? We've got the option down south of a Coolgardie safe or Zeer pot (evap cooling methods) but they wouldn't work for you up in the top end due to humidity. Would you mind enlightening me?

dunno bout the rest but I intend to use my 4KVA gennie :D
and 100 lts of fuel. plus whats in the cars tank if needs be as the :x roads :x would :x be :x out. :!:
( and thats the H/way). :|
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:02 pm

OK so FNQ'er has a Gennie......what about you Razerp? Alternative fridge or do you rough it?
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:03 pm

As with most prep related stuff.. if it works for you, use it/ do it.. if it doesn't.. don't.

Refrigeration with no power.. eskies with freezer bricks, keep the deep freeze closed (with a coupla 2/3L bottles of frozen water in it) wrap it with a quilt/wool blanket for extra insulation.. only very temporary measures

best option - generator
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:15 pm

As I said Townsville burbs were out for 9 days post YASI - ??? - there is no excuse for a city that size to be down and out in a cyclone region in North Qld - then 20+ days on a spur line - this isn't a third world country here. Or is it????
0 x

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 pm

I've got most bases covered for the loss of electricity, but Razerp has it nailed when he said "temp measures". An esky won't keep food useable for very long, nor will a coolgardie or a zeer in our summer heat (even down south). Looks like I need to look at a gennie too. I've seen solar ones that may be more convenient (less weight in them) but I've no idea how good they are. Goal Zero (Thanks to Mountain Man for the initial link) may be a good affordable option with one of those portable camping fridges made by Waeco.
16 page download consumer pricelist.... http://www.waeco.com.au/forms/Catalogue ... RT-JCN.pdf
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”