• Advertisement

disabled prepping

borris

disabled prepping

Postby borris » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:25 am

Hi All
Well my life changed forever on the 9th of August, with a ruptured disc, now after 2 opperations I can not longer do any thing normal, I can not sit for more than 15 minutes stand for 15 min I can walk with 2 sticks but not far.
My life has stopped, that got me thinking how do I still prep now, I can not lift any thing heaver than the walking stick, I can not wash my self I can not dress myself, I can not do much at all, then next step for me is a wheel chair, in the next 6 months.
So how do I prep now ???
Is there any one out there doing this in a wheel chair ??
Borris
0 x

JackDee

Re: disabled prepping

Postby JackDee » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:40 am

Borris, can you find any position you can be comfortable in a longer period of time, let's say an hour or two?

If the wheelcair is unavoidable, then you should start planning what you can do in a wheelchair and what can you do with the wheelchair.

What I can suggest is you become a Networker type prepper or you can choose other type that can suit you:
http://seavilization.blogspot.com/2014/12/types-of-preppers.html

With limited mobility it is likely that your prepping style will tends to be a "fortress building" by utilizing space around you. The basics is still on food, water supply & energy. You can always upgrade your tech & language skills. Tech upgrade can be about radio, but nowadays more are dependent on internet. Language stuff is to expand your network through the internet. Perhaps you can do some prepping by building a kind of command center style room?

Prepping is an art, perhaps you can also share some tutorials and documentations about prepping with your current condition and enlighten us with topics about what we should do if one day we encounter the same situation.
You can share your opinion based on your condition on the following matters:
(1) Mental Preparedness
(2) Physical Fitness
(3) Planning Protocols
example: http://seavilization.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-start-prepping.html
Last edited by JackDee on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Regret comes last, if it comes early its called registration!

In the end, only fellow preppers truly respects other preppers.
When nothing happens, the world will laugh at you.
When SHTF, what will happen when they found out you got supplies?

Zana
Canada

Postby Zana » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:45 am

I'm sorry to hear the troubles you are going through with your back. I suffer from a disease and another condition that cause me chronic pain, fatigue and muscle pain and weakness. And yet I carry on-lol. A lot of people don't realize how bad I am and I'm just as glad of that. I find that prepping and finding ways to be self sufficient and learning new skills helps me focus on other things. Of course I can't do all the things I used to the way I used to, but I find solutions. Like instead of carrying stuff from my van I put it in a sled or wagon. And I have found a lovely young lady that is worth her weight in gold when I need to get things done. It took me a while to hire help when I need it, but it means I can put my energies into things I want to accomplish. You may need help for some of your prepping projects now, but there are often people who would like to help, so it's good not to let pride interfere. There is a saying that if you want a true friend ask them to do you a favor. It creates bonding and let's them know you trust them enough to show them your vulnerabilities. Good luck.
0 x

borris

Postby borris » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:09 am

Hi All
Well we have to sell the house we live in as it is elevated and I can not get up and down the stairs now, and when I get to the wheel chair stage I will not be able to get into the house so I have to stop prepping till I sell this home and get a ground level home.

I can not stay in any position for more than 20 minutes as it hurts to much, I only sleep for 2 hours at a time as it hurts to much.
I have to find a way to prep even hose bond and unable to do any thing much at all, any ideas ?????
The way its going I may not be around for long any way, to worry about prepping, what started all this pain is cancer and it is back, evan after radiation treatment dam

Thanks
Borris
0 x

Zana
Canada

Postby Zana » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:37 am

Hi Borris
I'm so sorry to hear you are battling cancer. Maybe what you can do as far as prepping right now is to make lists of items for bug out bags and supplies that are good to have on hand. I know there is a lot of info and opinions out there, but you know your unique situation and will know what's best for you and yours. Then as you are packing up you may want to organize some of it into backpacks or duffle bags if you have someone to help. If not just wait till you are settled and you'll have the lists ready to go. But, right now the main thing is not to let it stress you and take care of yourself. I don't know your beliefs and don't want to offend, but I will say a prayer for you.
0 x

borris

Postby borris » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:45 am

Hi All thanks for the information and I will see what I can do.
As of this morning I am in a wheelchair, I can stand but walking has become to hard for more than 20 feet.
I hope you all can keep prepping for all of us that can not
Borris
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Borris, perhaps you can help educate and network people around you, be they neighbours, friends or family that increases everyones resilience even if you are unable to do much physical prepping as you tackle your own health challenges . As suggested above just being organized and having thought out various contingency plans is a great prep, and many people are not organized in that respect . Tackling your health issues and researching diet and meditation and other things to aid in fighting the cancer , maintaining strength levels and rectifying your health is one of the biggest preps you or any of us can do.
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”