• Advertisement

Australian Preppers "sound off"

newbie70

Re: Australian Preppers "sound off"

Postby newbie70 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 am

hi everyone
western australian prepper here single female looking for like minded others mandurah area
on here to learn more
0 x

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 am

Welcome newbie 70 in WA - G'day from North Qld.

Plenty of info on here just read though the links and click on what interests you.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

susannah755

Postby susannah755 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:58 pm

G'day Newbie70 and welcome from Central Vic.
0 x
Russell Coight....outback legend

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Welcome Newbie70 and greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada.
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:58 am

Welcome newbie70 from the geat south east.. of Qld :)
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 am

Hi!

New to the practical side of prepping but I have been aware of it for a while, mostly through Palladin Press and Kurt Saxon and that ilk.

Just seen some episodes of 'Doomsday Preppers' which introduced my wife to the subject and while she thought the Americans were crazy, she can see why Australians should be prepared, floods, bushfires, cyclones, Campbell Newman etc. She still isn't convinced about the global financial crisis but I have been stacking precious metals for the last few years. Just taken over the running of my Superfund so I will be using that to fund any future precious metals. I am mostly concentrating on paying down my debt so I can get out from under the banks. To save money we installed solar hot water and solar panels on the roof, no way of storing the energy so we need the gov. and electricity company rebates and buy-backs to make it pay for itself but that should take no more than five years. If the buy backs stop then we will need to find a way of storing the energy but that looks expensive.

I have taken up gardening, South East Queensland is perfect for growing things! So far I have planted condiments! Pepper, saffron, vanilla, ginger, tumeric, cardamom, cocao, cloves, cinammon, coffee, tea, limes, lemons, kumquat, red grapefruit, mandarins, navel oranges, blood oranges (I am from England and we are still very concerned about scurvy!), lemon myrtle, bay, olive, avocado, passionfruit and lots and lots of herbs...nothing that you can actually live on though. This year I have started growing potatoes in sacks so I am keen to find out if it is worth the trouble. I only have 80m2 so I am looking into aquaponics to make the best use of the remaining space. As fuel prices increase I can see most of the above being very useful for bartering, they used to be the most expensive spices in the world, cheap fuel put paid to that! Still not quite mastered tomatoes or cucumbers but I am helping the wildlife by feeding them. I must try and set up some bee hives so I can encourage more pollinators, I have seen some of the Blue Banded bees and some of the tiny natives as well but I had to do a lot of hand pollinating last year.

Also just finished building a wood fired pizza oven (not just for pizzas) the neighbour's mock orange hedge (taller than my 2 story house) is providing a nice ongoing supply of soft wood to help fire it, coppicing it every year or so but I am gettin gthrough about 3 milk crates of wood with each firing. Still it keeps the heat for about 72 hours after the fire goes out. At least I can cook if electricity prices go through the roof or we get cut off, I just need an hour or so notice to get the thing started!

We are looking to purchase some property up in a place with the amusing name of Mount Mee, you can buy large(ish) plots of land and it is close to Brisbane but not so close that people would be willing to climb it in times of civil unrest. It gets cold in winter so not a great place for the plants but it is very nice in Summer and secluded! The plan is to build a bug out shelter which will double up as a holiday home until we retire and then it will be our Primary Place of Residence (PPOR). It has to be comfortable, I like camping but I am alone in the family in that respect. Looking for a place which catches a decent amount of sun, has some dams (for water and fish), plenty of land to run some livestock and lots of arable land though hopefully will be going mostly aquaponic. A view of Moreton Bay and the Glass House Mountains is just a bonus! At the moment we have no spare rooms and no secure storage for stockpiling food or water, we have enough to last a week at the most. The 5,000 litre water tank in the back garden is sounding a bit empty with the recent drought but I am a 'tank half-full' sort of person anyway. I would like to increase the amount of water we can store but the only place left is underground and that starts to get expensive and hard to justify to the unbelievers.

Although double glazing and cavity wall insulation is practically unheard of in Queensland I am thinking that is the way to go, hebel construction should provide some fire protection and clearing the nearby trees should also help. Being at the top of a hill should be a bit of a deterrent but if we are stuck at the bottom I would not fancy hiking up, place is riddled with snakes!

I have to focus a bit more though, I am so keen on getting the best torch with the brightest light and longest battery life that I haven't actually gotten around to buying any torches. If the power goes out I will be stumbling around in the dark with the other people but at least I will be able to discuss the reviews on LED vs Light bulbs.

I am coming to the forum mostly to find out some more information on;
    Self Sufficiency
    Permaculture
    Preserving Food
    Preserving Wealth
    What constitutes a good bug out compound
    Meeting like minded folks (I know that there is no way I could go it alone, not enough skill sets, if I am going to get past any problem longer than a week I am going to need to be part of a network)
    Recycling, repurposing
    Low impact living, e.g. rocket stoves, earthbag buildings, bamboo products etc.

TL/DR
Hi from a Newbie! What do I need to look for when selecting a bug out shelter? What direction should it point (aspect), what size for self sufficiency? Construction details, what is essential, what is nice to have and what is an unecessary luxury? That sort of thing

Cheers
0 x
What you don't know can't hurt you :)

FNQ'er-1

Postby FNQ'er-1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:24 am

G'day Jislizard Welcome to our little group. A lot of info on the Australian site - scroll through there's 4 pgs (around 88 topics I think) - I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to your questions on here.

Will PM you some links you may find of interest.
0 x
I'm old, tired and crotchety - what's your excuse???

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:39 am

FNQ'er-1 wrote:G'day Jislizard Welcome to our little group. A lot of info on the Australian site - scroll through there's 4 pgs (around 88 topics I think) - I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to your questions on here.

It is a little group, how many people are active members of the Australian section? I would have thought that after the bushfires, floods and cyclones this place would be crawling with Australians, maybe if something realllly bad happens?!

On page two at the moment!

I did come across another Australian preppers' website but it seems to have been attacked by spam bots and doesn't look to have much traffic, last post was about 4 months or so.

Always like links so keep 'em coming!

Thanks for the welcome!
0 x

razerp

Postby razerp » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:12 am

Welcome jislizard from another SE Qld'er,

Might not be many folks on the aus section yet but the concept of at least some preps is growing. the whole Survive 3 days in case of storm, fire, blackouts etc message is creeping into minds. And with so many doing the camper trailer type thing and fishing etc aussies can have more gear and stuff than they realise.

enjoy the posts, i apologise now for my occasional ramblings AND my sense of humour, unless u like it then whoo hoo!

Fruitful prepping preeps
0 x
I grew up on Looney Tunes, Marx Brothers mvies and Robin Williams, Enter my mind at your own risk

Jislizard

Postby Jislizard » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:22 am

FNQ'er-1 wrote:G'day Jislizard Welcome to our little group. A lot of info on the Australian site - scroll through there's 4 pgs (around 88 topics I think) - I'm sure you'll find a lot of answers to your questions on here.

Thanks for the links and welcome, can't seem to find the reply button for the PMs so I guess that is to stop me bothering you!

I will look a bit further into building at the top of a mountain range, the last place I looked seriously at had plenty of man-made fire breaks and several dams but unless they are maintained they won't be much use to anyone. I am hoping that by removing much of the fuel (trees + fallen branches + the leaves they produce) around the homestead that there will only be grass to burn and I hope that doesn't burn at too high a temp to flash over to the house.

I was looking at Hebel to build with as it has some fancy fire retardant properties and this picture helped with the choice..

However there is the same picture used over and over again on different sites and it seems to come from the manufacturer (plus it looks shopped to me!)
0 x

Return to “Australian Preppers Network”