• Advertisement

Harvey and Irma

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
DougM
Canada

Harvey and Irma

Postby DougM » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm

I have been watching events in the States. For me it's a learning experience. The need to keep gasoline around is one thing learned. The need for home power generation. A chainsaw and the skill to use it. Shortwave radio or satellite some sort of communication that is reliable. Looters.
I feel validated being a Prepper and a bad part of me wants to say I told you so.
What did you learn.
0 x

Wayne
Canada

Re: Harvey and Irma

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:03 am

Many Preppers I've talked to see preparation as how they can continue to exist in a similar way that they do now. Although I have independent power generation in my home, this is only a short-term solution. For me, preparation requires a change in expectations. How to survive without gasoline, reliable communication, or a chainsaw (although I've stockpiled these items).

The hard reality is that many of these crutches can be damaged or destroyed in a disaster. Skills like felling a tree with an axe have more of a priority than having a chainsaw and ample gasoline available. Having taught survival skills for a number of years, I've come to rely on the only tool that I may have available at the time: myself. In this light, the most important survival tool is personal fitness. Everything else is a bonus... :-)
0 x

DJPrepper
Canada

Re: Harvey and Irma

Postby DJPrepper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm

You are your own FEMA.

Prepare ahead of time, get ready in advance, and don't rely on the Cavalry to come riding in at the last moment to bail you out.
0 x

Return to “Disaster Alert”