• Advertisement

Animals leaving yellowstone

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
MamaPrep

Animals leaving yellowstone

Postby MamaPrep » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:18 pm

What are all your takes on the animals leaving Yellowstone right now and the recent seismic activity.....I live in what they call "zone 3" of the eruption....do you think heading north would help save us?
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Re: Animals leaving yellowstone

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:16 pm

I'd give it more credence if:
one of the videos of solid proof hadn't been taken two weeks before the cited rumble (although admittedly during the month of semi-shocks, small quakes and after quakes from the Calif quake),
- one wasn't actually of bison running INTO the park,
- it wasn't a typical migration period,
and
- animals more accurately predicted true weather risk events (yes, there are hundreds of examples of an individual that has, but I've got one that slept through a tornado and one that spazzes about the dump truck (thunder); those stories are a little like miracles - they're rare - and a lot of times, the animal head's up is counted in minutes or hours, not days or months, such as some of the tsunami elephants in Thailand).

These critters have some of the same blood that was in the megafauna that got wiped out in the last full blast, and evidence suggests some of the smaller more recent partial blasts also took out a few of the unwary. There is some possibility that evolution has favored the ones that had an extra sense, but it's equally likely they just got lucky like the humans did.

I don't know where you are, exactly, but I don't think I'd go north if I were on the Western half of the continental U.S.
http://hint.fm/wind/
The winds shift some seasonally, but the general cycle is west and north for the northwest and west coast, with regional eddies. There's a gallery where you can check out some selected other dates.
You can get some other at-a-glimpse real time and forecast winds from intellicast (click on the big map to zoom in from the global forecast map)
http://www.intellicast.com/Global/Wind/ ... n=CAXX0110
The coriolis and hadley, ferrel and polar circulation cells play a role, too.

Unless you're heading due north or north and a bit east into BC, I'd actually head south. Mormonville would be a fairly awesome place to live, for people in a prepper mindset who don't mind not having seasons and requiring Australia-level water catchment. If you go with AZ or UT, you might end up with beach front property one fine day, but I'd stay pretty well off the Colorado and major dammed rivers if you're worried about a long-long-long term event, because the hydro dams failing could lead to catastrophic failing **FLOODING** (I feel the same about parts of the Midwest and South that are affected by the Mississippi). Nevada could be nice. New Mexico is already filled with the world's oddballs, so we would fit right in. Eastern and northern Texas aren't bad, plus awesome gun laws.

I wouldn't come too far east in hopes that the release will be partial and ash coverage limited, because if it's big enough long enough for hydro dams to fail and penning the Missip and Missouri river fails, nuke plants are also going to fail.

There just aren't too many places in the country (or continent) where there's both decent growing season and natural irrigation, not too many humans, and not too many places humans have turned into ticking time bombs (like Ohio's factories creating acid rain from PA to VA, and PA's farming chemicals ending up in the Ches. Bay, only worse). It just kind of depends on what natural disaster you expect.
0 x

cernunnos5

Postby cernunnos5 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:59 pm

You beat me to it.
Two weeks before, Check.
Heading into the park, not away from it, Check.
Normal behavior, Check.
No other reports of abnormal animal behavior, Check.
The usual Paranoid Hysteria by the Usual Bipolar "Experts" ....Check and double Check. :ugeek:

Yellowstone is still on my radar , and I run that senario through my head....but this time seems to be a big con by the usual characters.

Quality Dust Masks with multiple types of filters is on my purchase list at some point though.
0 x
I have a Tactical Harness and I have a Tool Belt. The Tool Belt is more Useful.

Allegro

Postby Allegro » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:08 am

I read just yesterday that roads leading to O'l Faithful have been closed. The roadway melted from underneath and "turned to soup" as one park warden said. Take a look:

http://rt.com/usa/172672-supervolcano-y ... sed-roads/

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new ... 180952036/

The Smithsonian report dials down the alarm on this one. Though I do agree that there's nothing immediate to be concerned about, this area has been in the news more and more frequently in the last couple years compared to decades preceding. I wonder if thats due to great press coverage or great frequency of events? I would love to chat with a geologist or seismologist about this region. Other buzz words that would perk up my ears would be Aira Caldera (Japan), Azores Caldera, or Long Valley Caldera near Mammoth Mtn, California. All of these massive volcanic calderas would have serious consequences for anyone unlucky enough to witness a full-scale eruption.

Forget Pinatubo or even Krakatoa. Yellowstone would be quite a show! Just make sure you prep a supply of marshmallows:)

Allegro
0 x

prom

Postby prom » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:55 am

Allegro wrote: Other buzz words that would perk up my ears would be Aira Caldera (Japan), Azores Caldera, or Long Valley Caldera near Mammoth Mtn, California. All of these massive volcanic calderas would have serious consequences for anyone unlucky enough to witness a full-scale eruption.

Forget Pinatubo or even Krakatoa. Yellowstone would be quite a show! Just make sure you prep a supply of marshmallows:)

Allegro

You forgot Campi Flegrei in Italy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields

I wouldn't dismiss regular volcano eruptions. 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora is listed as one of the possible causes of the year without a summer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Witho ... mer#Causes
0 x

Return to “Disaster Alert”