• Advertisement

Ebola now confirmed in the US

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
dollyndrew
Canada

Re: Ebola now confirmed in the US

Postby dollyndrew » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:02 am

Caught a quick glimpse of the TV in our staff lunch room (possibly CNN?) and the headline was "Canada makes preparations for Ebola". Anyone else have more info on this?

I'm "wiggling out" because I work in an International hotel and I'm flying to Toronto next week to attend a convention with a million other "germ carriers"!
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:51 pm

Up to "as many as 80" potentially exposed - scary as it is, that's much more reasonable and to me, reassuring.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/texas- ... ar-BB6Eoek
"About 12-18 people, including five children, had contact with Liberian national Thomas Eric Duncan... The larger number includes individuals who had contact with those people."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29462431

What's not is:
"Additionally, four members of the patient's family have been ordered to stay home as a precaution..." (first article). According to the BBC article, 5 children were ordered to stay home from school.

A. Usual number uncertainty
B. I understand that as best as science knows, we're only contagious when we're actively showing symptoms, but some of the symptoms are headaches and fevers that may start off low enough not to be noticed, especially in Dallas heat and in stressful situations. First symptoms and even later-stage symptoms vary in appearance and severity in patients.
Sure seems like there would be a lot less cost involved to in-home quarantine them all and do some med checks for at least a week or two if not the full 21 days and find a way to reimburse lost wages (at least on a jury duty level), have school work delivered and exceptions made for testing (projects, reports) for the youths than to risk this thing getting bigger. Again.

Cheers,
-P
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:56 am

"Gee I think I will go drop in on my family in the States, while my country is in midst of an Ebola outbreak"..said nobody ever

Obviously someone knew they were heavily exposed and figured their chances were better with US health care. Even if that is probably true, what an incredibly selfish thing to do.
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:23 am

MrsPrepwPets wrote:
I hope they initiate a quarantine/no-fly law from affected nations, save for specific medical flights that will observe protocol as with the first 4 in (they won't, but a girl can dream).
-P

I will dream along with you , does everyone remember the quarantine in New York harbour years ago before we were born ?
0 x

Return to “Disaster Alert”