• Advertisement

Flooding, rain and overflowing rivers

Post emergencies and disaster alerts here.
farmgal
Canada

Flooding, rain and overflowing rivers

Postby farmgal » Sat May 06, 2017 10:12 pm

Well Folks.. I know we have a number of folks up and down the Ottawa valley and into the Quebec side..

How are you all doing in regards to the rain and flooding going on.. I do understand that if you are in the process of sandbagging that you are not on the computer but wishing you all the best to those effected.

So far here on the farm, I have flooded land around us again from overflowing creek but thankfully not the river, and the land is soaked to the point that we have puddles all over the place but otherwise, we are doing ok.

The sump pump is working overtime
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

HopeImReady
Canada

Re: Flooding, rain and overflowing rivers

Postby HopeImReady » Sun May 07, 2017 12:18 am

Glad to hear your property is ok, farmgal. Our area is fine - we had part of road flood last week from a creek overflowing, but they were able to prevent it from being washed out. I headed up to Rockland for several hours today, to help sandbag at the TSC. I thought to myself, hmm there's lot of prep supplies at the TSC I could pick up, but I was just too exhausted and had sand in every nook & cranny..there were about 300 volunteers there, plus people bringing food & water and trucks. Even the kids were helping, distributing zip ties & water. The flooding is really really bad north of Hwy 17. I tried to recruit my neighbors and one said with zero shame "nope, I have to take care of myself" (his house is not flooding btw) :evil: ..I guess there are all kinds of ppl, and we'll see if I help him, should he ever need it.

PSA for IPNers in the area: Rockland, Constance Bay, Gatineau and now the Britannia area are flooding. If you have time & energy, all these areas can use help with filling & transporting of sandbags. Details on how to help here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-river-flooding-how-to-help-1.4102633
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Sun May 07, 2017 1:39 am

Hope you folks in Ontario can keep on the high side of things.
I am watching our river come up quite fast, 10 inches since this time yesterday. The kids are coming tomorrow, so have laid in extra provisions, just in case. I may have to call them in the morning and tell them to stay home! None of us will like that, but, safety fiest!
2 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Sun May 07, 2017 4:13 pm

All this reminds me why we moved out of Montreal years ago into our BOL.
One of the criteria when we were house shopping was high ground, which seems to be paying off now!
Our area really isn't seeing much flooding despite the numerous rivers and small lakes, bit our roadways aren't fairing so well.
Already, one of the main arteries out of the region to the south has a huge sink hole, creating a long detour.
25south.jpg
25south.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 275 times

Also, in the nearby town of Rawdon, a part of the main street has another huge sinkhole.
rawdon_sinkhole.jpg
rawdon_sinkhole.jpg (190.52 KiB) Viewed 275 times
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sun May 07, 2017 4:39 pm

Wow.. o my Denob.. that is some good sink holes.. glad you are safe on the higher ground and I know that you are prepped to last a while without needing to go to town.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Sun May 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Not to mention the forecast...

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (89.28 KiB) Viewed 269 times
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 pm

I live in one of the Flood Warning areas in Ontario. The flood isn't as bad as it was a month ago, but it hasn't peaked yet. It creeps up onto my property about 20 feet a day. I should be okay because my home was built on a 3 foot 'pad' of earth set back about 300 feet from the water. Luckily, I planted only in my Kitchen Garden up by the house so far because my big garden is saturated in water.
My heart goes out to all the people who've lost their homes and others who've had to evacuate despite all their efforts to protect their homes from water damage.
0 x

CanCricket
Canada

Postby CanCricket » Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 am

It's been really bad here in the BC Interior as well. More areas were just put on flood-watch recently. It's kinda scary.
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Fri May 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Lots of rain last night here in the Kootenays. Our river came up about 9 inches over night. The river is only about 18 inches from the road at our next door neighbour's place. We are quite a bit higher here. Haven't been put on a flood warning, or alert, yet, though. Come to think of it, the sign at our bridge saying River Subject to Flooding has not even been turned so it can be seen! Yes, it's kinda scary.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm

Sounds like you guys are getting hit in a number of ways as well.. take care folks..
0 x

Return to “Disaster Alert”