• Advertisement

an angry Russia put 150,000 troops on high alert

Discussions regarding wars around the globe
prom

an angry Russia put 150,000 troops on high alert

Postby prom » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:33 am

This sounds like a good scenario for the start of WW3. I hope we're not there yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... OU20140226
0 x

Singlecell

Re: an angry Russia put 150,000 troops on high alert

Postby Singlecell » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:43 pm

And here I thought it would start in the middle east... yeah, Kerry's already telling Russia it would be "A grave mistake".

Who knows where this is going. I can see Putin slaughtering a lot of people. 90 jets on the border. I'm not sure the US would do anything about it though. It's Russia's backyard. This is the way things are now, they should stay away. If it were central or Western Europe it would be a different story and Putin knows this.

These are basic rules of an altercation. In a street altercation, don't get involved unless you're ready to swing, otherwise you'll look like a fool. Maybe the USA wants to swing. I don't think so though.
0 x

carbon04

Postby carbon04 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:28 pm

the US do not have the right nor the ability to reply. all rhetoric at the moment and nothing more. the soldiers that took the airport this morning are definiatly Russian, not Spetsnaz, but some kind of forward recce unit sent to secure the airport. for what reason? I can only speculate one of two. logistically this airport is how they transport Russian troops to and from the Russian Crimian Naval Base on the south coast or secondly, this airport could easily be converted from Civilian to Military overnight putting US military bases in Turkey and risk from conventional jets, which have a severe disadvantage when it comes to range. this is going to go on for months, if not years and will end up with a small portion of the east coast and the Crimea succeeding from Ukraine and become Russian again or some small satellite state with Russian backing. internal strife and loss of life will be minimum and not one international shot fired.
0 x
"I think that I am very reasonable therefore ......." ICRCC

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:37 pm

I would have to agree with Carbon04 about not one international shot fired.
I really don't think the US wants to stand toe to toe with Russia over this.
I predict stern words, economic sanctions, and lots of finger wagging at most.
0 x

carbon04

Postby carbon04 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:44 pm

Denob wrote:I would have to agree with Carbon04 about not one international shot fired.
I really don't think the US wants to stand toe to toe with Russia over this.
I predict stern words, economic sanctions, and lots of finger wagging at most.

hey Denob, long time no speak... :D

BBC News just reporting....

"18:07: At least five Russian Il-76 planes have landed at a military airport in Gvardiysky, near Simferopol, Ukrainska Pravda internet newspaper reports citing eyewitnesses. Reports also say a column of Russian armoured personnel carriers is heading towards Simferopol." (that's Greenwich time so about 10 minutes ago from me posting this)

The Il-76 is a transport/ logistics plane....five of them would suggest spec ops, engineers, supplies, anti-aircraft batteries, a few armoured vehicles etc.....plus they have ground troops moving south towards the airport from Russia....within 24 hours this airport will have a military designation rather than a civilian one. If I was Putin its exactly what I would have done. The country will be divided into to two giving Russia unfettered access to the Black Sea.

The US will do nothing, neither will the rest of the international community. However, Assad should now really watch his P's and Q's because if Putin wants to ignor 'requests' from the US, they will ignor his 'request' to stay out of the Syrian conflict. That's where we may see an escalation.
0 x
"I think that I am very reasonable therefore ......." ICRCC

prom

Postby prom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:17 am

How does a commercial for a Russian international tourism agency sounds like? "Come visit us or else we'll come visit you!" :)
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:53 pm

I can't help but marvel at how CBC stated that Canada is shipping people and "equipment" to the Ukraine to to help "De-esculate" tensions there. That is just such a stupid statement in itself! We (Canada) would not even send any representatives to witness if Cremea's elections were fair when invited, and now we are helping support a takeover while the rest of Ukraine people just want their elections now. The EU wishes to hold off until mid-summer (when they will have a better foothold).

Follow some of the threads . They show these people of Ukraine supporting those brave enough to stand against the EU and hoping Russia will step in soon. They seem outgunned and yet determined to stand until Russia does. Not the story that our news paints is it? In fact our news is telling of the slavery of women and another on cannibals in Syria(aren't they mostly Muslims who abstain from even eating many meats?) I've seen many stories that swing both ways but the Russian side always seems less censored somehow?

Even CBS seems to have conflicting statements as she is on one side, the the other . I see Canada is just a puppet to the US these days and that we should have refused to participate in this at all. How do others see this?
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:46 pm

So if the people of Ukraine wanted the EU some much, why aren't they happy now? Why are they still protesting? Do they not like their new leader?

If Russia is the cause of all this, why are they not taking advantage of these present uprisings to take Kiev? Maybe they don't wish to start a war afterall.....

Here is news presented by RT news. For those unaware, they are the largest news media company in the world. RT stands for Russia Today. This news agency reports in every language and in every major country(including the US). Seems they have influence to get behind the lines of both sides of today's crisis's. I'm sure they too have an agenda of influence, but referring to their channel can give readers an alternate prospective to better judge current events.

Watch the following and see which side you think the people of Ukraine are on overall. Is our countries news misleading us? Why are the riot police now using force when they didn't fight back during the previous leaders reign?(even when being burned by moltav's....)

0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:11 pm

"In 1994, Ukraine, and the Russian Federation, and the United States and the United Kingdom entered into an agreement to remove former Soviet nuclear weapons from Ukraine.

Ukraine's actions were not without significant commitments, however, by the other signatories. Russia, the U.S. and the UK pledged in part "to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine" and "reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine."

Russia's policies and actions toward Ukraine's Crimea region demonstrate complete disregard for this critically important memorandum and international law""

References:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/16/opinion/h ... index.html
0 x

prom

Postby prom » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:29 am

Goldie wrote:"In 1994, Ukraine, and the Russian Federation, and the United States and the United Kingdom entered into an agreement to remove former Soviet nuclear weapons from Ukraine.

Ukraine's actions were not without significant commitments, however, by the other signatories. Russia, the U.S. and the UK pledged in part "to respect the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine" and "reaffirm their obligation to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of Ukraine."

Russia's policies and actions toward Ukraine's Crimea region demonstrate complete disregard for this critically important memorandum and international law""

References:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/16/opinion/h ... index.html

From the same article:

<<Putin has sent a clear message to the more than 25 non-nuclear states possessing the technical capabilities to join the nuclear weapons club that the stick of nuclear arms and not the carrot of international law is what guarantees national security.>>

and on the same note from this article:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2 ... n/6629775/

<<The Ukraine crisis carries nuclear lessons for the rest of the world. For states pursuing nuclear capability, such as Iran, the message is to press on. For states with rudimentary nuclear capability, such as North Korea, the lesson is to build up. For those with healthy arsenals, India and Pakistan, it is never disarm. For states that could quickly achieve nuclear status if they wanted to, say Japan, the message is to give nuclear weapons serious consideration.>>

Seems to me like this crisis has deeper implications than any other crisis that happened in the recent history.
0 x

Return to “War”