• Advertisement

Reality TV

Discussions regarding wars around the globe
helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Reality TV

Postby helicopilot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:34 am

I think you do get use to the water you drink and the "cooties" in it. If I were to drink your water unfiltered, I could likely get an upset tummy for a few days. Look at 3rd world countries, they drink the water they can get, often unfiltered. Sometimes they get sick, but most don't. You or I would likely get the runs pretty bad if you drank from the faucet in most Pakistani house, or Thai or Mexican. Or...

The reality is you can be find 99.999% of the time with not filtering water (or boiling it), but that 0.001% can kill you if you get sick with no medical care available.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:21 am

Okay, for all you whoosies out there who are paranoid like my wife sometimes gets, check out snow fleas... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OBHjKAsZMI
Yes, they seem to come out when it warms up and they lay on top of the snow and jump around. Now they have been around forever and you've likely drank and inhaled your share in life without knowing it....but now I showed you.......

My wife purchased a microscope some years back which lead to a better microscope. This lead to motion scopes that plug into your computer. We now have 3 at x200, x400, x800. Now I never here the end of what is found just in our house daily! :roll:
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Here is a series I just finished watching. It's called Pioneer Quest and was filmed back in 2001.
2 couples are dropped on a piece of (almost) virgin land in Manitoba with supplies and a $500 budget that was used up according to period prices.
They spend 1 year living as pioneers starting a homestead...with a $100 000 reward if they make it.
http://www.hulu.com/pioneer-quest-a-year-in-the-real-west
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:22 pm

Hey, you finally listed something I did watch... somewhat. I was very well presented and nice to have a peek at what our ancestors lifestyle must have been like.

My father started tourism in this area I live in after WWII. I later made it a point to guide on that lake camp and that he and my grandfathers helped build. I have heard stories after his passing away of his character.

One such mentioned that he was dog sledding up to see another couple who was sledding down. The wife was sick and the husband was trying to get her to civilization and help. It was a warm day and the melting snow on top becomes slushy and sled travel soon becomes next to impossible. They two parties met on an island and I was told my father offered his heavy coat to the wife and then set out on foot only to get back to camp. Now you have to pull the sleds up on land to prevent them from freezing in later. Dad took one dog only to help pull him along and started back about 4 miles to camp. There he would get some of the local natives together and head back up.

When you guide an area where such a story is told, curiosity makes you study the terrain and imagine the path that would be taken to accomplish this task. So when March came around that year, I headed out on snow machine to better visualize this trek my father walked as I wanted to experience it somewhat closer. Now it wasn't a slushy day but I could see where he'd follow the shoreline as there wouldn't be slush where the sun didn't reach. But then he would even have to cross a fast stream that was open even when I was there as it was too big to circumvent otherwise. The you'd either dry out your clothes or run wet the last mile to camp.....chances are he was in the dark over half the distance....and this is in snow that usually gets is over 36" deep everywhere.

I was always amazed that Dad didn't even tell this story and that I had to hear it from another instead. It showed me just how tough he must have truly been to perform such a task and it reminds me as to how humble some people can be. The teller was an old American doctor who was up here and wished to see the area again before he passed. He'd been a medic in the war and another veteran who seemed to find solace after such things but living in the far north. He'd lost all his fingers on his right hand from a 45 gallon drum dropping on a hand too frozen to work properly and this limitation finally brought him back to the common populace.

There are many stories such as this I've heard tell from the elderly here. They are indeed a tough species and should never be measured by that which we perceive in their old age. Chances are we might never grow into their boots!
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:31 pm

OKAY, for all you prepper's who want to practice their skills and can pry their eyes away from the boob tube long enough to read this...

How about instead playing this new game instead called "This War of Mine" . It seems to be a sort of role playing game where you defend your food stocks. Now you have to plan your defences to sleep and even then, can be under attack from other networked players. Check it out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv7DHDcmw1c

Now the plot to this game is that they say not everyone is a soldier.... http://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/
A sad but true fact. This kind of game doesn't appeal to me but I thought some of you might enjoy this and can then tell us others what your take is on the game.

It seems to be a free download through Steam.

enjoy

~ Knuckle ~
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:45 am

Seems I found a download to play This War of Mine to take it for a test run so to speak.... http://www.monova.org/torrent/8864315/T ... OADED.html .

Click on the magnetic Link and use a torrent program to get it.
0 x

JackDee

Postby JackDee » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:40 am

For some time this show always attract some male audience.

http://natgeotv.com.au/tv/men-with-many-wives

Also want to add this show:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/amish-mafia

Communities thingy, and some episodes contains their ways on preparedness.
Last edited by JackDee on Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:52 am

oh sure in theory that sounds good, but in practice I dont think so, I prefer to disappoint women consecuativly, never concurently where they can get together and out number you, and god help you if you get a name wrong in a moment of enthusiasm....I see nothing but problems there...
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:53 pm

peppercorn wrote:oh sure in theory that sounds good, but in practice I dont think so, I prefer to disappoint women consecuativly, never concurently where they can get together and out number you, and god help you if you get a name wrong in a moment of enthusiasm....I see nothing but problems there...

Too funny! I too think that live would not be as pleasant as some might think. It is hard enough to hold the remaining ground that I have as I seem to lose some with each consecutive year. :) It would indeed take exceptional women to even consider sharing as human nature would intervene at every turn. I'm sure that TV could make anything believable as much is staged for the entertainment aspect only. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that it can't be done by the majority of us!
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Denob, I remember watching Pioneer Quest twice quite a ways back . But that link you gave does not allow us to watch here
in Canada :( Is there another place to watch this again in Canada ?
0 x

Return to “War”