• Advertisement

Reality TV

Discussions regarding wars around the globe
Knuckle

Reality TV

Postby Knuckle » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:29 pm

What Should I Watch Next?

Seems I have asked this question before but couldn't quite find something of real interest. I checked out that Breaking Bad and although it did hold a 5 star rating, I can't seem to get past the message that a teacher is making crystal meth for the streets.... not quite my kind of show yet and I hope never is. But I do come across random things with no obvious connections, yet more questions instead....

I did come across this short 8 minute flick called Global Warning with an interesting plot of biblical proportion .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih5QQUJ66wQ
Now it is just someones creation from other found elsewhere, but they do have a way unique way of tying it all together. I somehow like seeing things that pertain to reality instead of getting lost in some zombie apocalypse which is just dramatized acting without real human responses included.

Another reality show which defines the cost of the Afghan & Iraq wars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeYSC5ijAEs
Now I do like these guys but they do play both sides as they promote the Ukraine war and then oppose such actions with this statement above. Good info just the same....

Then there is some history stuff still on which many still want to forget like NATO attacking Libya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O35_Ai6EsMU
the rationality of it all didn't quite fit but things mentioned above might maybe fill in some of those gaps...

So when I tire of such things, I go back to doing some research instead on things which might answer other questions in turn like:

"How much can today's Satellite systems see?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGjvm_WsjY

- bragging on satellite capabilities https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFu4TRKVkn4

or "Are Smart TV's a Smart Buy?"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aQRmkXN5Bw

I think this is reality TV in it's best form.... don't you?
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Re: Reality TV

Postby oldschool » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:05 pm

My guilty pleasure is watching medical documentaries on youtube since I got rid of my TV last year. Things like this: http://youtu.be/2DTMU87k_-w I find the investigation / thought process very educational.

Also off the grid cooking: http://youtu.be/AHJBuizFKaE http://youtu.be/FmmStA23VBA

For war stuff I just take to some co-workers who's families are still in the war zones. The stories that I hear are very shocking. After hearing some of the stuff, I had to stop asking questions as it was giving me nightmares.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:25 am

Seems were alot alike on our watching habits. I too watch medical videos but more along what I'm capable of performing if the need arose. I really like things that have to do with natural remedies and such if possible as I'm a firm believer of "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". At least natural cures have a minor payback system involved.

Ambulance and police shows always make me feel as if I'm back in business at those jobs. When watching, I am critical as I know the procedures and following protocols, etc., and so I don't usually enjoy the shows, I just analyze them instead. It is different when you are participating as an active party to remedy a situation. I used to be an adrenaline junky and loved such action, but witnessing it on a TV is often just a reminder of the misery entailed with each event and thus again makes it not worth the watching. TV has a way of making many events seem more exciting and even less distasteful. I always was good with the gore but found the hardest part was dealing with women who were screaming and crying. Even children were easier to console than a distraught woman.

My wife calls folks "rubberneckers" when they watch as they drive by an accident. I'd rather jump out and help if needed than just watch from the sidelines. Thus again I won't waste time watching that which I've once done.

I don't often watch cooking shows but could easily watch such as you posted as she is cooking alot like I do. No 2 meals are alike as I use what is available at the time and looks are always secondary to taste. I'd rather eat something wild as I know it has got to be better for you than something mankind mass produces.

I marvelled at how they could make a show about bike building and I'd watch closely for even the tiniest bit of knowledge and be pissed at the end as they showed nothing! And the worst thing is that many presumed customs were then made with only a few hours effort. When I mention to folks it took me 2 weeks at 8 hour days to design and build my custom gas tank, they think I must just suck at doing it? It took them 1/2 hour on TV!

Anyways, it's nice to know some of us ol buggers still like to learn something new. Heck, I'd rather watch a show with Peppercorn making some new gadget do triple it's allotted task :P than how folks might creatively kill another zombie or trap a Sasquatch....(my wifes show) :roll:
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:37 pm

Knuckles, I envy your problem: too much time to watch TV, and even too much more time to debate what to watch :D LOL

I have a suggestion : have a 3 year old in your house. Then your tv options become automatically limited to 3 options : Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffin or temper tantrum!

There is a show here called "fat guys in the Woods" on the weather channel that I enjoy watching. Not sure if it airs in Canada or not. Beside that, I sometimes enjoy completely mindless entertainment, the humour kind. Life is too short to always be serious...
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:07 pm

helicopilot wrote:Knuckles, I envy your problem: too much time to watch TV, and even too much more time to debate what to watch :D LOL

I have a suggestion : have a 3 year old in your house. Then your tv options become automatically limited to 3 options : Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Doc McStuffin or temper tantrum!

There is a show here called "fat guys in the Woods" on the weather channel that I enjoy watching. Not sure if it airs in Canada or not. Beside that, I sometimes enjoy completely mindless entertainment, the humour kind. Life is too short to always be serious...

TIME FOR YOUR CHECKUP....TIME FOR YOUR CHECKUP....
AAARRRGGGGGG.....GET OUT OF MY HEAD!
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:24 pm

:lol: I think ya sees me as one of them fat guys in the woods :o :lol:

And maybe Denob is getting paranoid that he too might might be suiting up for such a classification.. :roll:

I thought it funny when the wife watched Duck Dynasty. A least I could sit a spell and share in the stupid humour of television. Now I swear she only watches them redneck shows about hillbillies trying to trap some Sasquatch just to annoy me. My age must be showing as I could now watch a child at play instaed as watch some of these stupid things on TV. What amazes me more is that folks have to choose between a large variety of stupid choices! That's not a selection.

Now a couple folks here have criticized me for surfing YouTube alot, so lets now compare and see who is better off.

- If you want to learn how to fix your cars alternator, can you find a show on the TV regarding such?
- if you want to learn how to skin a deer or fillet a fish, or clean yer gun, where you gonna look?
- If you watch the news and wonder why were siding folks who are screaming "Zieg Heil", do you think CBC will tell ya?

Now it seems that many of you are capable of determining which video can show you how to properly clean a fish or skin a deer, so what is the difference in determining which news agency is unbiased on a given topic? And that same reporter can be unbiased on one topic and yet biased on another, kinda like we are too?... so it seems we must ourselves therefore discern what is real news and what is not in everything we watch! If you let your guard down, you will then believe that which is not true and likely later even profess this untruth to others in your daily routine.

I know alot of folks which don't want to sift thru all this propaganda(as that is what most of it is)as a daily routine and I too understand. I'd prefer my news prepackaged and ready to swallow if I could just believe that which they proclaim, to really be the actual truth. Since I find too many unanswered questions,(and I can't find other distractions these days) it appears that I have become obsessed in trying to see through this veil of deceit which seems to be everywhere. I somehow aim myself in a direction and dive in! I cannot proclaim that which I present to be "the truth and nothing but the truth", but I think I am likely alot closer than most others. And at least I include the links to show folks how I come to these conclusions and the titles are to give you a peek of the video without having to watch everyone but instead just that which you might want to see for yourself.

I hope many others might discover too that YouTube is far more reality these days than the TV. Sure there is still alot of crap on there too, but the same goes for that BoobTube you stare at loyally every day. Thus your new task is learning how to sharpen your senses...

Can you see the blatant propaganda that Ukraine today posts daily as news on YouTube? Will this become the norm to such an extent that folks accept that type of media as truth in the near future? If you are unsure as to how to answer this, compare their news to that presented daily by CNN. Wanna know why they repeat the news continually? No, It's not for your convenience.

- the repetition principle: http://changingminds.org/principles/repetition.htm
- want to form new good habits? http://www.spring.org.uk/2009/09/how-lo ... -habit.php
- list of cognitive Biases: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

I know, I'm turning this into a lecture! Still, maybe you can see the path now and have a better understanding as to my views of what to watch and I hope you might try it even for a little while...
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:13 pm

Knuckle wrote::lol: I think ya sees me as one of them fat guys in the woods :o :lol:

And maybe Denob is getting paranoid that he too might might be suiting up for such a classification.. :roll:

Hey...who you callin' fat!?!
Awww...let's face it...I've been called a lot worse!
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:43 am

Denob wrote:
Knuckle wrote::lol: I think ya sees me as one of them fat guys in the woods :o :lol:

Hey...who you callin' fat!?!
Awww...let's face it...I've been called a lot worse!

I think Knuckle didn't get the "time for a checkup" thing... I suspect Doc doesn't air very often at his place.
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:10 am

Yup, seems ya can't quote something off a TV show without having to enlighten me... I'm kinda slow that way! :shock: :mrgreen:
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Now I sat with the wife for but a few minutes yesterday because she had on some show called Survivor Man(it's her TV :D ). He was eating a worm when I came in and figured...okay, that was fer TV! A few minutes later he was pointing out not to eat reddish snow....duh...really? Who would? Then he mentions that the water shouldn't be drank because all the forest critters crap in it... okay, don't drink water that that is stagnant and some critters do crap where they drink.....but most don't! Beaver do likely because they get in a routine from being trapped under the ice in the winter, thus I'll forgive them. Even most migratory birds use land as a first option. Heck, I've even done it a couple times while swimming in a lake(not one of your poisonous pools) cause I knew I was along ways away from the nearest T/P. I read raccoons do it but we don't have many of them so I don't know this myself as I punch this subject up on the web before posting here. Seems hippos and whales do it too(and other fishies). I was aghast! :o

Seems your Survivor man is misleading folks to believe this to be generally true and that would make most water bad due to Ecoli bacteria. :oops: Myself and others have been drinking water in this area without filters most of our lives. Now that someone spots live things in it under a microscope, we must know we will die....ya right! Now we even eat snow (usually just to moisten the mouth somewhat) but eating alot can drop your body temperature so it is never a good idea on a cold day. Sure it's dirty...again, I'm still alive and my immune system seems to be the stronger for it as I haven't had a cold or flu in easily 15 years. Now I think of it, both yours and my ancestors never carried water filters in the back pockets either.... ;)

This is why I can't sit and watch these shows though...I can listen to someones B/S for a good spell...as long as I don't know it is B/S that is! Yup, I lasted maybe 5 minutes that time... :|
0 x

Return to “War”