• Advertisement

Gardens in 2017

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Gardens in 2017

Postby farmgal » Thu May 04, 2017 7:10 pm

I grow four kinds of them.. they are easy to expand, not quite as easy to control lol

Dig them up.. take the small ones, create a trench, plant them, repeat into a patch or rows and replant them and let them grow all season.. in the fall, harvest most of them and take out the big ones and repeat above for the next year harvest.. Treat them like carrots, damp sand, or can them for winter holding.

Leave at least a few full plants in place for spring digging and harvest as soon as the soil can be worked as they are one of the springs foods available
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Fri May 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Planted my seeds early in March..and with the warm weather was hoping this weekend was the time to move everything to the garden....but it'll be -1 and -2 in my area of Ontario...

The peas will go out and I may start on some leafy stuff...but the tomatoes, beans, etc. are staying inside for another week or two. Trying to get a head start on that May 24th "official" start date.

Question: If I did for arguments sake plant everything outside next week and the temp dropped to -2 or so again....If i cover everything up am I good? Or will my plants still have long term affects from the freezing? Can I plant and just cover them up or should I just wait and keep them indoors?
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri May 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Ok, so the answer is two-fold.. one if you can cover them properly, the odds are very good that IF they have been properly hardened off, that they will be just fine.. but if not hardened off enough even covered, they are going to at the very least going to hunker down and pout :)

Given I have seen the forecasts for the next days, they are still talking the possablity of snow..sigh... I have the ability to cover things, but I am keeping everything in this weekend and will plant out next week..

Now having said that, I am not covering anything that was in ground planted, like pea's broad beans and greens, cabbage and so forth.. they can take cold.. I will cover if its going to snow.. (shakes head on that one)
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Fri May 05, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm hoping that all I've got outside will be good. This weekend is technically the average last frost date, although I know most people wait until the May 24 weekend as the chance reduces even further. I planted half my area of beans a week ago to tempt fate and they're sprouting up finely. The 14-day forecast seems to agree that we won't get frost, but just a copious amount of rain. Which should be good for my carrots I hope.

I also spur-of-the-moment bought some lumber and built two 5x2 beds and some seed potatoes. I'm gonna keep half for us, and donate half to the local food bank. I've got a bunch of extra seed and some old planters laying around, so I'm going to do the same with leftover veg seeds.
1 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”