• Advertisement

Potato Varieties

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: Potato Varieties

Postby farmgal » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:10 am

O, for sure your overwintered potato's will produce plants and potato's, it happens to me every year LOL I never get them all dug up in the fall, and sure as shoot, in the spring before any of the one's I plant, they will pop their heads up, if I can leave them, I do, as they will be my earliest to harvest and use as small fresh eating potato's for this year.. if I can't leave them as I need to move them out, I just move them to where they can grow, it slows them a bit but not that much..

The only thing I have learned is that small leftover potato's give a few big ones and many smaller ones, where as a nice big seed potato, tends to give me better yield but for super early summer fresh eating, I will take every "free to come up" spud that I can get.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

just/fine

Postby just/fine » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:02 am

-25 out tonight and light snow,but a small win and yield hopefully with good weather
my neighbour said I plant a garden,so potatoes, here I go
looking at donning a 4 ft x 20 ft plot
just four tomato's in the corner's ,because grow 12 in my own yard.
The carrots just in the sides and the rest potatoes
Yukon golds
Reds
and some but many P.E.I mini's I love them
The ground should be really good,her husband use to grow all types flower their and sell them
another win also she asked me to remove the old wood stove,which isn't that old and good shape as seen when do the raking in the fall
but that's to seen,I'm hoping all it needs a good sand blasting
so let's hope have better summer than last year,normally I get laundry basket plus of tomatoes,last year only half
keep :P
0 x
underwater is safer than land

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:22 am

Had a taste of "Purple Vikings" this summer, I honestly never thought one potato tasted differently from another until I tasted these. Very nice, the purple skins are thin, come off with a metal pot scrubber under a bit of water. Seem to be a medium-sized potato, nothing got extraordinarily large, three or four per hill. I've been told "Netted Gems" are even better, but have yet to taste them.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:29 am

farmgal wrote:this is where I ordered from but they are not shipping anymore this year either

http://seedpotatoes.ca/

I was reading this old post, then looked up their web site, turns out they are south of me. I like the selection they have. I selected 4 types to try for next year. I called them to confirm availability, So it looks like I will be good for potatoes next year, and kinds I have never tried before.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:16 am

enjoy trying new ones Peppercorn and if any of them go to seed, do consider learning to the collect, seed out and store and grow potatoes from seed.. If you had a bad year, a flood or a freeze out, you can lose your stored "seed" spuds but you will easily be able to start again if needed, its a good backup skill for sure.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

tharkun

Postby tharkun » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:06 am

Great to see other people use them too. I ordered from them this year and had great results. My only regret? Not having more space to grow my own potatoes every year (crop rotation wise). I had Nicola and Linzer Delikatess. Both very nice potatoes. I like yellow potatoes much better than any white one I've tasted so far.
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”