• Advertisement

What fruit are you growing

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: What fruit are you growing

Postby farmgal » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:51 pm

this year we will add, one new kind strawberry, 1 more raspberry, a new blackberry, and three kinds of high bush blueberry, along with the huge rhubarb planned growout.. and then I should be set to just tweek things.. I will have early, mid and late setting type of all main producers, therefor hedging our bets that despite the year, something will produce.. o and I knew I forgot something.. black rasberries
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:00 pm

I can't remember the name of them, but they are a concord type grape.
0 x

dollyndrew
Canada

Postby dollyndrew » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:17 am

Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, grapes, gooseberries, figs, pears, Mayer lemons and limes. We naturally have thimbleberry and salmon berry growing around the property. Oh and rhubarb!

Will needs to look at my fruit trees and maybe start from scratch. They're three years in the ground and really struggling. I had a cherry, plum, nectarine, two pears and two apples. Neighbours have a cherry and a fig tree too so we "trade".

The established pear and peach tree are looking very ropey too.

We also planted hazelnut last year but it looks like one didn't make it.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Mon May 30, 2016 5:03 pm

The kiwi are doing wonderfully(and yes, we use them for jam and jellies). We grow lemon, orange, Apple, crab, plum, juniper, Strawberries, raspberries, black currant, goji, rhubarb, melons, haskup(which are now four feet tall), Saskatoon, and about 40 different medicinal herbs plants that frame the garden. Thanks to the bee's everything is doing very well!!!
0 x

Danux
Canada

Postby Danux » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:51 pm

I grabbed a handful of "Beta" grapes while I was visiting the old folks in Southern Saskatchewan, recently. They were very sweet, tasty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_(grape)

IIRC, they also grow a "Valiant" cultivar as well, without any special treatment.

0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:33 am

Not so much what I grow but what I inherited on the property we bought...

Valiant grapes (I find them to have a poor seed:flesh ratio but decent for jellies)
Apples (2 kinds, unknown)
Plums
Saskatoons
Raspberries
Haskaps (I thought they were odd-shaped blueberries)
Red currants (make a really good syrup, will try other options later)

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was surprised that the previous owners planted hops. Other than for beer-making, does anyone know if there are purposes for hops?
0 x

tharkun

Postby tharkun » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:28 am

Strawberries I'm done with. Chipmunks :D
Planted 4 UofSask sour cherries this year, 4 Haskap, 2 Elderberry, 2 currants and 1 gooseberry. A small cranberry patch to try out as well. 2 red raspberries and 2 black raspberries.

I would really need to cut down more trees and replace them with fruit trees but the town doesn't like that ;)

Had 3 blueberries planted last year but something (rabbit I guess) bit off the branches. 1 looked good again this year but the other two look unhealthy. Browning wilting leaves and such. The Haskap didn't look too happy either. I'm guessing acidity level problems in the sandy soil here. The Elderberries grew all by themselves. Didn't even water them during the dry spells are grew while the rest looked almost dead despite daily watering in summer.
0 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:29 pm

Second year in a row I've bought some sour cherry trees. And I'm pretty sure for the second year in a row they will die. Year One my father 'accidentally' ran it over with a tractor and dropped a round bale of hay on it. This year, I bought 2 nice trees. He insisted he was going to plant them for me in a safe, non-run-over-able place to pay me back for killing the first one, and he didn't like my suggested planting spots. They're currently still sitting in their pots, frozen, by the garden. I don't know if they're actually dead or not, so I guess I'll find out come spring...
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Best of luck on your cherry tree's normally if you can't get them planted, its best to dig a hole and drop the pot into it if possible to overwinter them.. let us know if they make the winter..
1 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:30 am

Fruits:

Apples,
Pear (well, there is a pear tree that's still quite small, let's see if I'll get something this year)
Cherries
Plums

Berries:

Saskatoons
Strawberries
Raspberries
Haskaps (really looking forward to tasting those!!)
Red currants
Valiant grapes
Blueberries
Sea bucktorn (looking forward to taste those too)

I've inherited all of those with the property, but I'm planning on planting a few more Saskatoon bushes since the Mrs loves them.

The apple trees really need a good pruning, but I have to admit being more than a little apprehensive about this.
1 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”