• Advertisement

Winter-grow veggies in your greenhouse

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
Dakota
Canada

Winter-grow veggies in your greenhouse

Postby Dakota » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:12 am

It's December and our kale, spinach, lettuce and swiss chard are still going strong in our greenhouse. We have to harvest our greens during the warmest part of the day so they don't go mushy. The greenhouse has been a success in our attempts to see how long we can continue growing with a unheated barebones greenhouse. Our location is fairly close to the mountains so we are impressed! We have used raised boxes with hoop covers before, but this year we built a greenhouse and wanted to experiment. I realize it's been done before...but it's so awesome to tredge out in the snow and have alittle piece of garden left. :D
0 x

peppercorn

Re: Winter-grow veggies in your greenhouse

Postby peppercorn » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:36 am

good for you, its what I tell everyone...a green house, built proper will do more than most people believe in Alberta. I shut mine down Nov1st and picked everything, but I had other more sensitive stuff still growing like peppers, tomatoes and strawberries, I know they wouldn't have made it this long without adding heat, and you get to look forward to a much earlier start come spring, and for me no more deer stomping/eating my garden.
Here is a tip ...if you make your own pizza, try khale on it, just one more flavour to experiment with
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:02 pm

Great tip peppercorn. Will make a good chicken/kale pizza combo!!! And yes...can't wait for early spring start-a bit pathetic given winter just got here!
0 x

Matreshka

Postby Matreshka » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 pm

Hi Dakota, what kind of a Greenhouse do you have? I'm about to buy one online, it's 6'x8' ... if it proves to be great quality, I might order two more. Last year my garden got eaten by raccoons.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm

Sorry for delayed answer. We built it ourselves...I'm cheap or poor!(not sure which was more the driving reason). It turned out not half bad. Here's a photo of it in near completion last fall. This year we added water catchment and the other half of the garden behind the greenhouse. I was able to get 40 various fruit bushes in along my garden north fence line and about 35-40 new medicinal herbs seeded and successfully up this spring!! It's a comin!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (150.63 KiB) Viewed 474 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (192.52 KiB) Viewed 474 times
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:06 pm

Nice setup Dakota!
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:55 pm

That is well set up, and by the look of it you have the perimeter fenced as well.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:14 am

Ya, we have deer friggin everywhere!!! I even have pictures of the deer grazing all around the outside of my garden.
One thing I found interesting was the deer could scale the fence-easily but won't. We think it's because of the garden beds. We made the raised beds all the way around the inside of the fencing. They would have to jump over the fence and into or on top of a garden bed box. We believe...they don't like the prospects of a uncertain landing. It's been years now and still no deer inside the garden so...we're going with that theory. We keep our bee hives in here as well...no theory how we are keeping the Bears out...other than the dogs.
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”