• Advertisement

creating your own landrace crops

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

creating your own landrace crops

Postby farmgal » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:54 pm

"Landrace gardening is a traditional method of growing food in which the seeds to be planted next year result from the survival of the fittest in a particular garden in previous years. Landrace varieties become attached to a region, and thrive in that region. Landrace varieties are genetically variable so that as conditions change from year to year the population can adapt to the changes."

above is the most basicway to talk about landracing growing, it walk along side heritage seeds and open source seeds and saving of heritage seeds but it is its own way

So is anyone else landracing anything in their own gardens?

I am working on a huge community landrace project that even my national radio last year, we are coming into our third year where dozens of us will once again be grow small, med and large plots of land producing a land raced butternut squash, we are aiming for early turning for our climate, average of 4 pounds per squash and very hardy winter keepers, I still have cured ones sitting in my house that I am eating now. we save seeds from the best, send them to a single person, who mixes them back together and we all grow out the next generation.

We are working on growing our own sub type that will excel in our borderline zone and the Ottawa valley area

but I myself am also working on my own personal land race grow outs with melons.. more on that later

What about you?
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

OddDuck

Re: creating your own landrace crops

Postby OddDuck » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:06 pm

I hope to do one with field corn. All the coloured open pollinated corn varieties I can get my hands on. I don't want anything with yellow so that I can pick any GMO out of my future seed mix. So far I have collected ten varieties to plant this year. I will also doing some beans and squash as well. I would like a good landrace of spaghetti squash but getting a decent variety of those is tough.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 pm

not that it will help you on flour heritage corns but for those that are growing n0n-gmo sweet corns and have gmo cow corn within a mile to you farm, if you are drying your corn for seed keeping, the sweet corn will dry with wrinkles (the sweet peas and beans same, its got to do with sugar content vs starch) vs the cross poll ones from the gmo, which will dry fat and plump.

remember corn pollen can travel on the wind over a mile and that each single kennel is its own gene wise plant, so you can have 49 heritage crossed seeds and one gmo crossed on the same cob :)

I hear you on the spaghetti, seems like everyone has the same ones, think it would be interesting, what are you wanting for end results in the spaghetti landrace?
0 x

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:55 pm

Good tip on the sweet corn seed saving. I have sweet corn but the planting will be small enough that I can bag it and self pollinate for seed. I don't want it crossing with my field corn or the neighbours stuff but if it does I now have a way to pick the gmo out.
Thats the nice thing about smaller crops.

For spaghetti squash, I find the store variety too watery and insipid tasting. I am hoping for a richer darker flesh with good keeping qualities. I think I will plant what is available and see if it will cross with some of the other regular squash varieties and make a new variety. I like dark orange, stronger flavoured squash and pumpkins.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:31 am

Do potatoes count for this? If so, I have some potatoes that were grown in our yard last year that I will be planting this year, Yukon gold and Norland.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:18 am

learner, when it comes to breeding potoates it does count but are you talk tps? or you talking crop selection?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:20 am

Learner wrote:Do potatoes count for this? If so, I have some potatoes that were grown in our yard last year that I will be planting this year, Yukon gold and Norland.

sorry, was tired last night, re-read this morning and as they are from last years crop, they would be a crop selection, and yes, its a form of landracing as you are holding back from your best plants

Having said that watch this year to see if after your potatoes flower, if any of them create seed balls and carefully watch and collect them at mature, the seeds inside are called tps, true potato seeds, and they will be a mix of the two kinds you grew but they will each be there own, if and or when you grow them out each plant will produce its own crop an type (degrees of the parents) and finding one that grows well, tastes great and works for your soil an area) would be more tradional on the landrace front

but both count :)
0 x

OldTimeGardener

Postby OldTimeGardener » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Had S. Squash growing from past seeds for many years. So saving seeds to replant the following year has got a name now..landrace, interesting.

Anyways one year, lost the whole works to a very early killer frost. Thought I had some extras set aside...nope.

So had to start all over again after a good 15 years or so. :cry:

Next season it was another failure as the seed I got from company, was not pure s.squash.
Emailed company (along with pixs) and we compared numbers on packages and they followed it up as to where they where planted to get this seed.
They never did say what happened, or what the heck they were crossed with, but sent me more seeds.

I didn't want to waste yet another year, so ended getting seeds from another source that I was pretty sure of what I was getting.
So now on year 2 with those seeds.

Was a shame cause the old squash were doing so nicely in this climate.

Lesson learned the hard way! Never give away more seed without checking to make sure you have enough for ones self..FIRST.
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:59 pm

hi, landrace is a touch different in the start compared to saving a single strain of heritage seed, which I believe is what you are talking about..

year one, order and collect as many sources of the same type of open pollination heritage seed as possible, in our case, we ordered and was gifted 14 strains or lines of butternut from across Canada and usa (if we had been doing the same with your s. squash, to get a 15 year old seed from one place would be highly desired) then you mix all the seeds together and interplant them out, and then you let them freely cross and select and save from the best, and repeat, so as example when I grew the landrace seeds, I interbred them to my own farm saved seeds, and this year I am going to plant the older Canada version I found and edge on side with the nutter butter squash plants to get both of those genes in the mix..

but you are SO right! never give away more seed without holding back for yourself! and ideally if possible have a two or even three year supply of your standards as blight or early frost or drought or anything else can wipe out a garden or a line at anytime
0 x

OldTimeGardener

Postby OldTimeGardener » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Ah ok.. thanks Farmgal for taking time to explain it.

I was over confident that I was sure I had extras as I normally do with all the seeds. So didn't check.

Where's the 'slap self upside the head' icon?
0 x
A sense of humor is absolutely essential to survival.

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”