• Advertisement

creating your own landrace crops

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Re: creating your own landrace crops

Postby farmgal » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:30 pm

I hear ya and been there, I had to get seeds back on one of my favorite tomatoes after a blight year, it happens :)

as a follow up..

http://garden.lofthouse.com/adaptivar-landrace.phtml

Landrace growing is an intimate relationship between a location, a farmer, and a population of genetically-diverse seed. An adaptivar landrace is a foodcrop containing lots of genetic diversity which tends to produce stable yields under marginal growing conditions. Landrace crops are adaptively selected via farmer choice and survival-of-the-fittest for reliability in tough conditions. The arrival of new pests, new diseases, or changes in cultural practices or in the environment may harm some plants in a landrace population, but with so much diversity many plants are likely to do well under the changing conditions.
In the case of mostly self-pollinating plants like peppers, tomatoes, beans, wheat, and peas a landrace may be thought of as many distinct varieties growing side by side.

In the case of out-crossing plants like cantaloupe, squash, or corn, a landrace can be thought of as an open pollinated population with tremendous genetic diversity. Most of the seeds in an out-crossing land-race end up being unique F1 hybrids.

Maintaining an adaptivar Landrace

I consider it my duty as a farmer to maintain healthy and thriving adaptivar populations for the crops that are most desired by the people that I feed. My protocol for doing so is

: •Add small amounts of new genetics to the genepool from time to time.
•Include a small amount of 2 and 3 year old seed in each year's planting.
•Grow a sufficently large population to maintain genetic diversity.
•Be liberal during selection: for example by saving fruits of different sizes, shapes, colors, textures, flavors, and maturity dates.
•Swap seeds with the neighbors to enhance local adaptability.

I think this is part of the reason I love the idea of landrace creating while we can still order and get the genes,, stable yields under marginal growing conditions..

Landrace growing is an intimate relationship between a location, a farmer, and a population of genetically-diverse seed. An adaptivar landrace is a foodcrop containing lots of genetic diversity which tends to produce stable yields under marginal growing conditions.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Doe

Re: creating your own landrace crops

Postby Doe » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:26 am

I have been saving seed from the best of my crops and dividing flowers for seven years, did not know there was a name for it. I plant two 10 x 10 vegetable plots, one at home and one in a community garden 3 hours west of me. I have 6 flower beds at home. The 'harvest' or late season vegetables are the easiest to save seeds from because they all come inside to be processed for eating. The early season vegetables are consumed quickly and are so desirable that I have missed opportunities over the years :)
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”