• Advertisement

Educate Me On Rain Barrels...

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Educate Me On Rain Barrels...

Postby thecrownsown » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:40 pm

I've scoured the internet...and have found some good info., contradictory info...and frankly some bad info...hoping to get pointers from those who already have rainbarrels in place on what to do and what not to do.

-I purchased a Home Depot model. My setup will place it within 5' of the new garden. It has an insect screen on top of it and a spigot at the bottom to attach a hose. I'm redirecting a downspout from the eaves to drain directly into it. My base is about 6" of crushed stone levelled out and compacted on uneven sod below that and a 2'x2' patio stone on top of that.

-What else do I need to know? And for some actual water pressure how high should the rain barrel be up? Are cinder blocks ok, or is there something better? I'd get about 12" with the block.

Thanks in advance on any direction.
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

PrepHer
Canada

Re: Educate Me On Rain Barrels...

Postby PrepHer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:00 am

Cinder blocks would work fine! I have mine on previously used 8x8 blocks of wood, on the top of a little hill. I connected both my rain barrels to soaker hoses (placed in the garden and connected with a garden hose from the Rain barrel to the soaker hose) and I can simply turn on the spigot. In one, I put a "strainer" in the hose where it connects to the tap because it's a home made rain barrel made out of a used 50 gallon plastic drum (from my dock - $10 from a recycling depot) with a piece of copper pipe and a tap caulked in the bottom hole I drilled in.
It sounds like you've done everything right.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:50 am

Our rain barrels sit on the ground, gravel and a cement pad. Almost anything works for them. We just use watering cans dunked in, filled and then taken around the yard to the various garden spots and pots. Get lots of walking done that way.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:25 am

honestly, your current set up, sounds great.. I think it a pretty deluxe version to be honest.. will work well, the only comment I can make is, what is the plan for over spill in good rain storm? are you going to have a way to control the water flow from the barrel and or collection area
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

thecrownsown
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby thecrownsown » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:35 pm

farmgal wrote:honestly, your current set up, sounds great.. I think it a pretty deluxe version to be honest.. will work well, the only comment I can make is, what is the plan for over spill in good rain storm? are you going to have a way to control the water flow from the barrel and or collection area

good question..I think there is an overflow on the top..will have to check when I get back. But that leads to another question where would I draing that too...

What is a good height to put a rainbarrel at? Is there to high?
0 x
Are you on Blackberry Messenger Channels?

Check out: Emergency Preparedness C00219488

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:06 pm

if there is a overflow, ideally, you want to drain it into a swell to help slow the water down and let it sink into your yard, rather then go down he drains, but you are in town.. look up how to put a pretty water holding path

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/60011493 ... down-water

but the main thing is the water overflow is draining away from your basement.. as for height, I give mine four inches lift, high.. hmmm, weight needs to be considered, otherwise, not really
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:24 pm

Mine has an "overflow" outlet which can be connected to another rain barrel.
0 x

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:42 pm

I actually gave up on mine. I found that the gutters were a major cause of ice damming on my roof in winter.
I will probably put the gutters on the lean to I use for firewood and set up a barrel there...it's a much less critical roof than that of the house and I have plans for an outdoor kitchen/veggie washing station nearby.
As for water pressure, I found that there really isn't any to speak of. Sure, water flowed from the faucet, but that was it. I think they would be great for soaker hoses or filling watering cans but if you're thinking of putting a sprinkler on it....forget it.
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”