• Advertisement

Propogation for raspberries/blackberries

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Propogation for raspberries/blackberries

Postby Denob » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Question for those in the know...
I have wild raspberries and blackberries on my property and I want to multiply them at a faster rate than mother nature.
Has anyone tried this by taking clippings, dipping in root stimulator and potting up?
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Re: Propogation for raspberries/blackberries

Postby farmgal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:03 pm

you can do that with blackberries, no problem, but better to pull rashberries out and use a parent to cluster form new babies I personally find, but great question to bring to laura at the pruning talk
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:09 pm

farmgal wrote:you can do that with blackberries, no problem, but better to pull rashberries out and use a parent to cluster form new babies I personally find, but great question to bring to laura at the pruning talk

Hadn't thought of that...will ask!
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:58 am

I've had success with just letting them spread naturally - don't cut near them. They grow best in full sun.
I've also dug out wee raspberry runners and stuck them in somewhere else. But I wouldn't try that in this drought Denob. Wait until the end of September.
0 x

RedDawn

Postby RedDawn » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am

Blackberries and black raspberries grow long arching canes that bend down and then root at the tip. If you cut the tip loose and dig it up, you can transplant that youngster into a new location. Red raspberries send out horizontal roots just beneath the soil surface, then new plants pop up along these roots. A strategy is needed for pruning and bramble biology. It is not just about expanding them, it is about pruning them properly for maximizing of fruit. Simply put, it is the 2nd year wood that most fruit. 1st shoots are primocanes and leaves but no blossoms. 2nd year, they become floricanes, flower, and fruit. After fruiting, this dies and must be removed or you have a thicket. Careful not to remove the new primocanes that rise up. Tip pruning is summer work, to prevent the long arching cane. Too late for that. Winter pruning/early spring, cut out the dead canes. (brown on outside, peeling bark). Canes that rooted can be dug up and transplanted. For red raspberries, thin the patch to about 6" per cane and trellis wire tie for support. Topdress with compost and mulch.
The pruning is the only tricky part. Do it right and you won't have to expand the bush, as you will have fruit galore. A pruning guide book is recommended. A bramble bush produces well for 10-20 years. New plantings are needed after that. It is a lot of work initially, but it becomes 2nd hand when learned.
Decide which technique works best for you. Good luck with the berries!
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”