• Advertisement

Gardens in 2017

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
RachelM
Canada

Re: Gardens in 2017

Postby RachelM » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Started my onions a week ago indoors, and some cabbage about 3 or 4 days ago, and everything is already sprouting! We had a nice warm weekend here in Niagara so I'm chomping at the bit to get the garden ready! I've got everything planned and scheduled out on paper, but I think we might get lucky and have an earlier spring than usual since its been so mild all winter. Over 10 Celsius here on the weekend!
1 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:44 pm

Good thing I started my beets indoors because this snow would probably knock them all out. I've got all my see flats in a mini greenhouse under a heat lamp in the indoor porch!
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:06 pm

while I have a few things started, I have been glaring at the long term forcast of march and been sitting on my hands, forcing myself to wait before I start the bigger seedling push, I am in holding pattern
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

OddDuck

Postby OddDuck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:28 am

farmgal wrote:while I have a few things started, I have been glaring at the long term forcast of march and been sitting on my hands, forcing myself to wait before I start the bigger seedling push, I am in holding pattern

Once again, I didn't get seeds started when I should have, and this year its a good thing. It is starting to look like a late spring and that is bad news with the hay shortage and all. I am going to have to find a creative way to get a large potato patch started and once again I didn't get the designated area ploughed last fall. Because of the drought, the ground was just too hard. I think its going to be critical to get the root veggies and squash patches functioning in high order/quantity as well. ASAP.

I was thinking of trying to plough the raw ground this spring and plant the potatoes in the furrows and mulching/hilling them in the trenches but mulch will not be overly available this summer either. The idea was to than disc and harrow the patch next spring. The good news is that I was able to grow and barely water a small potato patch last summer that produced enough seed potatoes for this year so I don't need to buy any seed potatoes. My goal is to at the very least, expand the amount of seed potatoes available for seeding next year. Best case, I figure out how to get a large planting this year in less than ideal conditions and get lucky enough to have eating potatoes and seed potatoes this year.
1 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 am

Had a snow dump in Alberta a few days ago, so things are postponed a bit. Started my tomato and pepper seedlings earlier this week.

Cucumbers will be started in a couple of weeks... Let's see how everything will turn out!
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:06 am

ok, Brussel sprouts, pepper plants are started and up.. waiting another week for tomatoes, ground cherries .. starting my hot peppers tomorrow.. need to do a little research on when to start my TPS seeds to get the timing right.

Outside we are covered in at least three feet plus of snow but the sun is warmer, and the river is open..
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:05 am

My kale was already 6 inches high in my one bed....waiting to see what it looks like when this sudden snow disappears.

I just got the last of the supplies that I need to finish of building 7 mini green house raised beds.
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Ok, I am Zone 5, Ottawa Valley area..

First two weeks of March.

Currently starting Hot and Sweet Peppers, Brussel Sprouts, and Ground cherries.. I also have soft fruit seeds in cold storage for getting them ready to be planted out..

I am also starting a number of Fungus Spores that will be used as plugs into logs over the next four to six weeks

What are you starting? and what Zone are you gardening in?
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:32 pm

I just started my indoor seedlings for 3 types of peppers, 2 types of tomatoes, eggplant, onion, lettuce, mustard greens, cantaloupe, snap peas and marigolds. This includes some of the seeds I bartered from another prepper last August at the Eastern Ontario Prepper Meet :D

I also picked up most of the misc supplies I'll need to do up a decent backyard garden. I worked a community garden plot last summer (which did not work out), so I still have most of the tools ...minus the ones that were stolen from my plot :evil:

In the past, I found my seedlings died of damping off, likely from poor air circulation, so this year I plan to put them in a warmer spot, and set up a fan to give them a light breeze...wish me luck :)
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:41 am

Well, I messed up... I've started my seedlings a few weeks ago (tomatoes, peppers and marigolds) and my cucumbers last week. It's been quite nice during daytime here so I brought my seedlings into the greenhouse (it's already quite hot/humid there during daytime, but gets to near freezing at night). I made the mistake of leaving the clear covers over the plastic trays while inside the greenhouse... So now everything looks dead from the excessive heat, except for the cucumbers that are already in large pots; these guys look happy. I hope a few survive my good-intentions-turned-bad-idea.
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”