• Advertisement

Gardens in 2017

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
farmgal
Canada

Gardens in 2017

Postby farmgal » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Its a new year folks.. are you working on your garden plans..
Are you expanding your gardens this year?
Have you ordered your seeds? and if so, where
Are you waiting for your local Seedy Saturday for buying?

What are your main gardening plans or goals for 2017
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Re: Gardens in 2017

Postby helicopilot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:25 am

Already ordered my seeds. It will be trials here, starting from scratch in a new location. Very excited! Now just hoping that I'll have time to tend to the garden as much as I want, work has been busier than I intended.

My goal is to learn more and more while experimenting. I'm also looking forward to trying different crops such as "watermelon radishes!"
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Very nice, look forward to hearing how it goes.. new land is a lot of fun.. and I know you have a good set up as well.

My just for giggles this year is growing my own upland (dryland) Russian rice that will if it works allow me to grow my own on the farm..

Otherwise, its a put it up year.. less for fun.. more for canning and cellar, less trail, more proven but of course still working on my landrace projects, my heritage seed projects and my pushing the zone plantings.. as well as expanding a number of my soft fruiting garden
0 x

RachelM
Canada

Postby RachelM » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:27 pm

We started our 'new' garden last year with two 4x10' boxes and a few squash hills. I'm hoping to add at least one more box this year, and make more and larger hills. I'm also planning a 10x10 corn patch, and to finally start my own seeds instead of going to the garden centre. I had to resist the urge to buy every seed I saw and limit myself to what I'm actually going to use and can! I'll be trying some little pickling cucumbers for the first time, tomatoes, squash, carrots, beans, cabbage, beets, onions, sunflower, and lettuce.
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:16 pm

My True Potato Seed arrived in the mail, I have been trying to get my regular potato's to produce seed for the past couple years but I have not had any luck, these seeds come from a mix of colors and potato types but they are also proven to produce seed.. so I ordered in 200 of a mixed seed, there is to be a mix of white, yellow, pink, red and purple in these seeds.

I plan on starting 50 seeds this year as a learning curve, holding back the others which in good storage should give me a base start for the next three years.. I hope that these plants will produce seed as well that can be mixed to work to create a landrace of actively seed producing potato tailored to my land and zone..

Anyone else got True Seed Potato seed in their seed box's this year, anyone else working on this project?
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Haven't ordered any seeds yet, but will probably be ordering my potatoes soon. Also have potato sprouting from last year, so will use those too. Have to go through all the seed I have stored and will be probably using those seeds this year. Probably not going to try anything new unless it might be a different type of tomato, but haven't quite decided yet.

Not working on true potato seed this year. The potato plants last year had some, tried to save some, but it didn't work out.
1 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:27 pm

My brain is just getting into gear. I'll start my Brandywine tomatoes at the end of next month. I've already got butternut squash seeds from last year's crop (I grow A LOT of squash). Probably nothing new this year.
1 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:14 pm

I have a Tromboncino squash that has made two plus years in storage now, and I am debating if I want to try and hold it for three years to see if it can be done or If I want to process it in the next while, split the seeds and grow half of them out this year and get those amazing storage genes into the next generation..

You have to like a squash that can hold for two years..
0 x

Dragonwriter
Canada

Postby Dragonwriter » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:53 am

I've finally settled on what I'll be growing this year, and started gathering Lowe's gift cards so that when the stores start putting out the big bags of soil, I can buy big bags of Miracle Grow soil. The gift cards are being purchased now so that I can redirect funds into preps in the spring. I'll be growing tomatoes this year with the emphasis on canning them. Also putting in kale again since last year it grew so well, carrots, spinach, lettuce again, celery, collards, zucchini, peas, sunflowers, marigolds for pest control, peppers, dill, parsley and basil.
1 x
“...there's no harm in hoping for the best as long as you're prepared for the worst.”
[i]Stephen King[/i]

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:38 am

I'm going to try the vertical/small space gardening in my backyard this year.
1 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”