• Advertisement

May 29 Garden status-Alberta

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
peppercorn

May 29 Garden status-Alberta

Postby peppercorn » Tue May 30, 2017 5:01 am

Ok, I got about a 2 week late start, then we had real bad weather this spring, but overall things are coming up ok, I can graze from the garden when I go out to water now.

Radish, and Kale
DSC02408.JPG
DSC02408.JPG (102.83 KiB) Viewed 320 times

taller than a 2 liter bottle
DSC02409.JPG
DSC02409.JPG (77.54 KiB) Viewed 320 times

DSC02407.JPG
DSC02407.JPG (101.62 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Last edited by peppercorn on Tue May 30, 2017 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

peppercorn

Re: May 29 Garden status-Alberta

Postby peppercorn » Tue May 30, 2017 5:06 am

potatoes
DSC02404.JPG
DSC02404.JPG (101.97 KiB) Viewed 319 times

Planted later
DSC02406.JPG
DSC02406.JPG (106.58 KiB) Viewed 316 times

I forgot to take a picture of things like tomatoes and peppers, but their well along too ( though their in a greenhouse), so my question is, if you are in Alberta, are you about the same? is your garden further along? if so how are you doing it? inquiring minds would like to know!!

my plan is not to have the largest garden ( though I am now up to 150 potato plants), but to have the least square footage, use the least material inputs, produce the most food, with the least bit of effort, as life as a agrarian peasant does not suit me..
So any efficiency tips that work for Alberta are most welcome!!

If your ahead of me in early starting im all ears.....tell me how....

Also, I will now have a good supply of 5 types of potato's.... Dakota Pearl, Sangre, German Butterball, Sieglinde, and Yukon Gold so if anyone is near me, and has other types, and they would like to trade, pm me and we can work something out.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:10 pm

Your gardens look further along than mine. I started the garden boxes near the end of April and planted carrots, chard, spinach, onions and beets. They are all up nicely now, although the carrots do take longer to really get going. We are eating off of the spinach and green onions now. Have peas coming up in another garden that are about 2-3" high now. With recent rain, they should pop along nicely now. Potatoes planted there are just coming up. Have potatoes planted in cans, pots and another garden box that are doing very well. The varieties I have planted are, roku, bintje, banana fingerling, (which grow very well), and from a sample pack acquired 4 varieties with 4 each of gold rush, Dakota pearl, chieftain and norland. These last 4 are supposed to be a more scab resistant type.

As soon as it starts thawing in the spring, I cover the boxes with plastic to help get them thawing faster and as soon as they are all thawed, they get planted and the plastic goes over them to make their own little greenhouse.

Beans got planted a couple of weeks ago and are all now up. Tomatoes and peppers have just been planted outside in their pots as we don't have a greenhouse.
First pic is of beets,2nd- cans of potatoes,3- the boxes of carrots with a few leeks at one end, chard/spinach, onions, and beans.
Attachments
DSC00277.JPG
DSC00277.JPG (138.79 KiB) Viewed 276 times
DSC00274.JPG
DSC00274.JPG (145.18 KiB) Viewed 276 times
DSC00278.JPG
DSC00278.JPG (147.44 KiB) Viewed 276 times
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:29 pm

considering the weather we have had, you are well along, I didn't recognise the name Roku for a potato, and when I punched it into the googler machine it came up with hits for everything but a potato....where is it from?
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:58 pm

In our area we really haven't had much rain, its gone all around us. We live in a valley and we can watch everything go around on top of the hills. We have a creek at the bottom of the yard, so we have a pump and water what we need to from there and also have 7 rain barrels around the house. We did get half an inch the other night which was nice.
I bought my seed potatoes from Eagle Creek seed potatoes in Bowden. Farmgal mentioned them a couple of years ago, so I checked them out and now order from there. They carry the roku. They are a red potato.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:56 am

That's where I bought my potatoes from. There are a few of us who have bought there.I just don't remember seeing Roku on their list...is it possible that you mean Roko?

I took a lot of back roads when I dove down there to pick up my potatoes and maybe 5 to 6 miles south west of the place in a little valley some farm house had the largest Vawt wind turbine I have ever seen, and on the road between Red Deer and Delburn, on the north side (when heading towards Delburn) has gone up a new huge home, with what must be 2 pallets worth of solar panels, and a wind turbine. I wanted to get a picture, but couldn't stop. I bet he must have 12 or more kw of panels. If you go to pick up potatoes again, its worth the extra drive to view it.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:53 am

Sorry, yep that's what I meant @roko. Not sure why I typed the u. Didn't go pick up the potatoes, had them sent. Grew the roko last year too, they are nice.
The house on the road by Delburne we've seen almost every time we go to Red Deer. We don't always go that way, but its usually the way of choice because of that house. Its been there for awhile. It is a nice looking log house, the solar panels and turbine really catch your eye though.
0 x

Dakota
Canada

Postby Dakota » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:22 am

Peppercorn, your definitely ahead of the game this year!!! Impressed- Lookin awesome! I'm about 2 weeks behind you. Everything coming up nicely now. I did not get the greenhouse stuff out as I'd hoped due to family issues early in the year but got the regulars planted. The group tried Roco last year and we found it didn't store as well as some our regulars Yukon gold and norland. Each family tried a variety of four types of potatoes using different techniques and at the end of the year we counted our taters and put them to storage(again using different techniques). It was an interesting trial.
Last fall some of our groups boxes were covered with straw and some were left bare. I found the boxes that were covered were much easier to prepare in spring, almost no weeds to pull, ready to put seed to soil with no further work. I want to work smarter not harder, so YES I'm definitely doing that again. I put the straw back onto the beds after the seeds sprout and that helps keep the weeds down and the moisture in. Then when my straw gets to a point were its compostable I till it into the dirt in the fall. My ducks, chickens and goats give me fantastic fertilizer every year to top everything off.
I'll add photos of the garden this year and look forward to seeing everyone else's!
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 am

Glad you chimed in, I remembered your gardens and was wondering how they were doing. Agree, working smarter has to be the goal, even if getting there is little steps. Pictures are mandatory!
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:27 am

well, this growing potatoes in raised beds is new to me, but I can already see a problem.
Here is a picture.
DSC02413.JPG
DSC02413.JPG (104.68 KiB) Viewed 194 times

They look great, don't they? See the problem?
Try hilling the middle row...I am breaking stems off trying to get dirt built up in there. Lesson learnt, next year only two rows!
I should have seen this happening.
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”