• Advertisement

May 29 Garden status-Alberta

Post about survival gardening and agriculture here.
peppercorn

Re: May 29 Garden status-Alberta

Postby peppercorn » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:00 pm

Hit by a freqish wind storm that blew down much of my potatoes, snapping stocks and all.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 pm

Sorry to hear Peppercorn. It's been nasty but seemingly better in my neck of the woods. 3/4" rain came down in an hour or so, so the barrels are full and I won't need to water the garden beds today.

Garden is coming along, but I'm realizing I may have planted a couple of weeks too late. I didn't have a choice because of work though; so this is an experiment and f things don't work out.

I'm really impressed by my zuccinis growing in pots and may add more next year. My pepper plans are soooo tiny even though I've started them indoor in March!

Apple trees are looking very promising, the branches are already loaded with tiny apple buds.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:15 am

Sorry to hear that peppercorn. Your potato's should still grow though.
Had that freakish wind go through here last night too. Threw half of the gazebo on the roof. The plants got blown around and put down, but started standing back up today. Think we lost one tomato plant because the bucket protecting it fell over onto it.
0 x

peppercorn

Postby peppercorn » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:14 am

I can say this has been a failure, my trying potatoes in the raised beds, I will still get lots of potatoes but I just planted them to dense and couldn't hill them up as much as should be done. So lesson learnt.
Last edited by peppercorn on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
a puppet is free, so long as it likes its strings.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 am

Live and learn.

On my side, my peppers seem to not have grown at all in 3 weeks. They are the same 2" tall plants with a couple of leaves on the sides.

Tomatoes are flowering, a few of my slicing cucumbers have just doubled in size this week alone and I now have a couple of small cukes growing. The pickling ones are still quite tiny plants and I'm thinking they have the same issues as the pepper plants; they just forgot how to grow!

Strawberries are amazing. Picking up a good basket every day and they taste AMAZING!

I have harvested maybe 7-8 zucchinis and it almost looks like the plants are done. The leaves are turning pale and wrinkled. I tool one of the pots outside the greenhouse to see if the extra heat inside (doors, windows and vents opened) might cause them more harm then good (??).

My white onions are looking terrific. Potato plants are flowering already, but it looks like the ants made a mess out of some of the leaves. I need to get myself another big bag of diatomaceous earth. Looked at Canadian Tire, home Depot and Home Hardware, but couldn't find any.

Remainder seem to be coming out as planned.
0 x

HopeImReady
Canada

Postby HopeImReady » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:05 pm

I am finally getting tiny green tomatoes on my 2 huge plants..must be all the rain (every 2nd day for about a month). I am seeing the beginning of buds on my peppers, and my saskatoons are almost ripe :) My cilantro has now bolted, likely due to the heat.

Helicopilot, I have only ever seen the DE in 1 or 2L size canisters, usually in Can Tire or Home Depot - but never in a big bag. You could try a nursery...
0 x
HopeImReady
"The thing about smart mother f*ckers, is that they sometimes sound like crazy mother f*ckers to dumb mother f*ckers." -Abraham .”

Nagol
Canada

Postby Nagol » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:32 pm

Well, it's sad to say but you're all doing better than I am. Season 2 in my hay bails is not going well.
About 300 plants went out at the end of may. 2 weeks later I had 6 tomato plants left.
Everything else was simply gone. Stems, roots and all.
We had a moose calf maybe 300 yards from the house, could have been her. Deer are all over this year as are turkey. No idea what got to them but I had to replant and even bought some plants to fill the garden back in.

I set up a trail camera, after a week I have seen barn cats, my wife and a coyote.

Right now I have to hope that frost holds off until late September or I won't have much of a crop this year.
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Nagol, so sorry to hear. Seems like fencing is going to be required if you want to garden in your area.

(Yes, I know... "thanks Captain Obvious")
0 x

Nagol
Canada

Postby Nagol » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Lol, the thought had crossed my mind.
0 x

Learner
Canada

Postby Learner » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:13 pm

A good portion of our gardens got shredded by wind and hail on Monday night by a nasty storm that went through our area. One of the gardens got crushed by a big tree that fell down over it. Most of it should come back okay. The tomatoes and peppers will take a bit longer though. This heat that we're getting should help though.
0 x

Return to “Gardening and agriculture”