• Advertisement

Reports On Sandy

Post latest Canadian News and whether here
farmgal
Canada

Re: Reports On Sandy

Postby farmgal » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:22 pm

well, the first round of the checks done, and we are thankful that so far, very minor damage in terms of branches down, otherwise lots of wind but everything is holding, a fair amount of power outs locally, and reports of basic typical storm/wind issues but it appears from what I can hear on the news that the cornwall area really got hit with winds last night, so far no rain yet.. and its so warm, plus 17..
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

Clay8ton

Postby Clay8ton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Nothing spectacular here yet.
At 11:00 last night we had light rain, winds from the north at 23KM/h, temperature is+7C and the barometer was at 100.0 KPa and falling.
At 2:30 this morning we were woke by heavy rain and wind... didn't last long though.
At 5:00 AM all was quiet... no wind or rain
Now at 8:00 AM we have light rain, temperature is +11C, winds out of the NW at 8KM/h , the barometer is at 99.5 KPa and steady. So far our rain guage is showing 10 mm of rain since yesterday morning.
0 x
Charter Member of a Canadian Minority... White, Male and in my 50's!!!!

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:15 pm

Just did a walk around here and glad to see that everything is good. A few tarps blown around a bit and one small piece of siding gone. No surprise leaks in the house, so the 2 roof patches and foundation waterproofing held well, although I don't think we got very much rain. I will check the 2 aux. properties later today when I go with the little ones to pick out a pumpkin. The lights are still flickering a bit, but no actual outage.
Right now we have sustained NE wind in the 20 KPH range and gusting up to 40 KPH. We still have a forecast wind range of 40 KPH sustained and 70 KPH gusts.
0 x

PrepHer
Canada

Postby PrepHer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:45 pm

The North wind last night sounded like I lived beside a freight train! Loud! A bit of rain overnight. Now it's sunny but really windy - flag blowing straight-out windy fom the East and whitecaps on the riv er. I hope my dock doesn't blow away!
Comfortable that I can handle any power outage if it happens.
Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who suffered a loss.
And hope that the unprepared have heard the wake-up call.
0 x

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:53 pm

I am happy to have the power back on! It was only out for 12 hours and mostly overnight. The wind was howling but I slept like a baby :) We lost one tree when it fell through a cedar rail fence into the paddock. The animals did well but will stay locked up for a few days till we get the fence repaired.

Lessons learned:
1. It takes a really long time to boil water over a sterno can.
2. The middle of the storm gives you a clarity you just don't have when it's not an emergency. I thought of several things I should have done (at 3am of course) - emptied the one fridge freezer into the big freezer - one less to deal with. Filled the sink with water for washing dishes and hands today so I didn't have to use the water I saved in plastic jugs.
3. We need to buy a gas chainsaw or another generator- we only have an electric chainsaw (easier for DH to manage because of MD) but if we needed the generator to run the freezers etc we would have also needed it for the chainsaws.
4. Everything else went perfectly and I felt like we finally have most holes covered.
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

Denob
Site Admin
Canada

Postby Denob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:16 pm

So after a trip to a local farm for a pumpkin, I took the kids out for a little drive around the county to check things out.
There was a little small debris, mostly sticks, on some of the roads.
We saw only one tree that was downed, and it had already been cut up and taken care of.
We also saw one tempo that had been overturned and looked like a big white boat on someone's front yard.
Other than that, not much happening here.
One thing I did notice as I watched the news and listened to the radio yesterday, is the number of times I heard emergency kits being discussed.
It seems like the mainstream media if finally starting to see the value in being prepared, even if only having a small kit with some water, food, flashlight and a radio.
The storm has now slowed and dissipated into not much more than a typical low pressure system.
The track seems to be taking it in a northward direction over south east Ontario and into Quebec.
The forecasts for the next few days don't really present anything that I consider a threat.
Seems like the brunt of it has passed and now we just have to clean up whatever mess was left behind.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Well the snow last night turned to rain. Both of my portable gazebos on the front and back decks collapsed. The snow holds the rain water and it gets very heavy. So I am going to clean them up this afternoon.
0 x

Clay8ton

Postby Clay8ton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 pm

For the most part Sandy was a no show here.. no damage at all, very little rain and not much wind....just a lot of thick cloud. The early part of this afternoon has been quit nice.. +17C with some sun. We have had a small Thunderstorm around 2:30 but it did not amount to much either. From what the Weather Network is reporting we will only have showers now until Tursday Evening.
0 x
Charter Member of a Canadian Minority... White, Male and in my 50's!!!!

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

Right now it is a little foggy with drizzle and 3.6°C.
0 x

ICRCC

Postby ICRCC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:35 pm

The NYSE is to open at 9:30am on Wednesday. Watch for a sell off on opening.
0 x

Return to “Canadian News and Weather”