• Advertisement

Hello from Alberta

Introduce yourself here. Let us know what you do to prepare!
offgrid

Hello from Alberta

Postby offgrid » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:28 pm

I just heard about the prepper movement, yesterday on the radio. My wife and I have been in survival mode for decades already, including
the last 30 years or more living entirely offgrid. We already have the elements that are so sought after by preppers/survivalists, which include
remote rural property, well treed with water and wildlife.
I am willing to share my experience and advice to any newbies that are interested, maybe help you avoid some pitfalls and mistakes.
Regards.
0 x

Antsy
Netherlands

Re: Hello from Alberta

Postby Antsy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:17 pm

Welcome Offgrid.

I am dabbling with off grid living but haven't made a full cut. I am using propane for hot water, a range, and back up radiant heat. I have a wood stove but Mrs. Antsy wanted a redundant heat source. What are you doing for hot water? How about internet?

Cheers,

Antsy
0 x
Needs must when the devil drives.

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:15 am

Welcome to IPN offgrid. Looking forward to hearing more about your setup and your experiences.
0 x

offgrid

Postby offgrid » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Antsy wrote:Welcome Offgrid.

I am dabbling with off grid living but haven't made a full cut. I am using propane for hot water, a range, and back up radiant heat. I have a wood stove but Mrs. Antsy wanted a redundant heat source. What are you doing for hot water? How about internet?

Cheers,

Antsy

Good questions, offgrid living does require some adjustments. Depending on your personal references and the size of your bank account you can go all the way from very basic to all the bells and whistles, lacking nothing in convenience. We have opted for the more basic route, with a fair amount of
conveniences, particularly in the area of lighting.
For internet I use a wireless AirCard which I get through my ISP. I pay $60 + tax per month, for 6.1 gigabytes of data. For the computer itself, we
have laptops as the power consumption and battery capability works better than having a Desktop and decent sized monitor (as much as I would love to have one) the requirement for full time 120 volt AC is something I avoid. We keep it simple and use 12volt for everything we can and use 120 volt
AC, through the inverter as required.
I realize some people do things differently and I won't get into a debate over what is "best", this is simply our preference, based on some very
logical reasons.
We heat with wood, we also have a wood cookstove, but we also use propane, this is a nice convenience as long as we can afford it. Refrigeration is
a 12volt 5 cu. ft fridge (no freezer compartment) supplemented with a 5 cu. ft. propane freezer which we keep in the garage to avoid the hassle of
installing a vent system for the fumes.
During the winter months, which is almost 1/2 the year here in Canada, we heat water on the wood heater, since it's always on.
During the summer I built a wood fired outdoor water heater, which can heat up to 40 gals.
I have looked at the on-demand propane heaters and know people who use them. These work very well, especially for those who have constant AC
power. I do have friends who have gone that route, everything is 120 volt AC, the inverter(s) run 24/7. This does mean higher power consumption
but they have a proportionately sized solar array, plus a backup diesel generator.
Whatever works best for you, and whatever you are comfortable with will ultimately be the "best" for you.
0 x

offgrid

Postby offgrid » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:32 pm

helicopilot wrote:Welcome to IPN offgrid. Looking forward to hearing more about your setup and your experiences.

Thank you.
0 x

RapidSurvival
Canada

Postby RapidSurvival » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Welcome to IPN!
0 x
Eric Pinkerton- Owner of Rapid Survival
72 Hour Survival Kits
Emergency Preparedness Equipment
http://www.rapidsurvival.com