• Advertisement

Long Term Food Storage---Done Cheaply!

Post links to Preparedness and Survival Resources in Canada.
tazweiss

Re: Long Term Food Storage---Done Cheaply!

Postby tazweiss » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:20 am

A thought I just had for sealing the 2 liter bottles. Save your old candles. When you have a bunch of stubs melt them in a can. After putting the cap on the 2 liter bottle, turn it upside down and dip it in the liquid wax and you have an instant seal. Just a thought.
0 x
In the end, your life will flash before your eyes.
Make sure it's worth watching.

RobandSue

Postby RobandSue » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:29 pm

For the Bottle idea u could also try a small black rubber O ring on the neck of the bottle as well they are dirt cheap and u can get a large amount for very little....here is a link for a supplier for bags and O2 absorbers i have found here in Canada, the prices are very good specially on the O2 absorbers...http://www.bridensolutions.ca/tools-and-gear/health-and-first-aid/first-aid-kitshope something here helps..btw new to the site and we are just getting our preps going so...ty for the great resources to fall on to in this site...

RobandSue
0 x

Girlcancan

Postby Girlcancan » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

I use the big glass canning jars to store my beans, rice and pasta. Suck the air out with a foodsaver, date it, and use what you store. This way I only buy my staples when they are on sale and I have plenty to last my family for months. I'm a big fan of flyer thursdays. :)
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:42 pm

Between gallon glass jars, 3, 5, and 6 gallon food grade buckets with gamma lids, as well as the odd Tupperwear canister, our rice , beans, oatmeal seem to be keeping very well. Speaking of rice, our local Wholesale Club has Basmatti rice on really cheap this week. I have lots in stock so did not get any.
0 x

Karnit

Postby Karnit » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:57 am

Here is another article on inexpensive food to put in those bottles...

http://baconandeggs-scifichick.blogspot ... under.html

K
0 x

helicopilot
Topic Leader
Canada

Postby helicopilot » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Karnit, thanks for the link! I'm not a huge fan of beans but the recipe on that site convinced me to get some for my stash. Right now, everything is in individual bags in a 5 gal pail (I didn't do the full amount suggested, maybe 15%) but will mix and put away in jars and "dry can" when time permits.
0 x

Return to “Canadian Preparedness and Survival Resources”