• Advertisement

How to store food underground in Canada?

Post links to Preparedness and Survival Resources in Canada.
wemustbeprepared

How to store food underground in Canada?

Postby wemustbeprepared » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:18 am

Hi everyone, I am new to the site :) I have been speading a lot of time researching on everything going on in the world, and I must admit I am very uneasy.
Living in Canada as you know it gets freeeezing here lol. How do us Canadians store our food safely underground without the cold wrecking it? (freezing) They say to stock up on food, I get that, but you can't keep cans of food underground can you? Esc during winters. Please advise. Thank you.
0 x

WildernessReturn

Re: How to store food underground in Canada?

Postby WildernessReturn » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 am

2 answers to your question;
1. if you have a cold storage under or attached to your house, the heat from you house will not allow it to freeze if you have a decent amount of earth barrier.
2. separate cold storage, say in a berm or Cold house.
The depth of the frost in your area, determines how much overburden of earth and logs above and around your cold house.
eg, in Southern Ontario the cold reaches a depth of 3-4 feet down on a normal winter. In Northern Ontario the depth is more like 6+ feet down.
The Artic and the Barrens are below ....ft.
Look for info in your area. I could not even attempt to guess, as you have no province listed or general area either.

Here are two sources of Canadian information on the topics and some explanations of the variations of the answers
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... on-regions
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/tundra
0 x

tazweiss

Postby tazweiss » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 am

All of my food storage is unheated, so I can only store foods that aren't affected by freezing. But I have a lot of water (a third of a mile of riverfront) so I can store dehydrated food without worry.
0 x
In the end, your life will flash before your eyes.
Make sure it's worth watching.

NorthernVVolf

Postby NorthernVVolf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm

A friend of mine buried a 6.5ftx 20' culvert pipe into a hill and has a really cool (no pun intended) cold storage. As a note though, we are in NW Ontario, he did get some freeze happening and will need to add some more ground cover...probably to the 6-7ft mark plus insulating the front that sticks out of the ground.
0 x
One day, the lowly farmer will be King

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:13 pm

NorthernWolf,
geat reply and thanks for sharing the info with us. I have seen that done in Mid and Northern Ontario as well, two of the people put an entrance that is similar to a mining entrance covered with wood, Styrofoam and then the door to the culvert storage area.

There is also a site called The Culvert House.
0 x

NorthernVVolf

Postby NorthernVVolf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 am

WildernessReturn wrote:NorthernWolf,
geat reply and thanks for sharing the info with us. I have seen that done in Mid and Northern Ontario as well, two of the people put an entrance that is similar to a mining entrance covered with wood, Styrofoam and then the door to the culvert storage area.

There is also a site called The Culvert House.

No problem, it's amazing what you can learn getting out and actually seeing what others are doing. Having a group to get together with, help each other out makes this life so much easier than trying to 1890 homestead on your own. Seeing the scope of some of these projects in real life gets me excited for spring. I should be able to jump the curve a bit and avoid all the mistakes made by others. I will have enough of my own though, I'm sure :)
0 x
One day, the lowly farmer will be King

anitapreciouspearl

Postby anitapreciouspearl » Sat May 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Cool idea Garlowin. We have a hatch over an outside stairwell that goes to the basement. In the winter we cover it with a tarp to prevent it from leaking and further decaying the cement stairs. Next winter I am thinking of covering the hatch with bales of straw and accessing the storage from the basement door. I have a great book "Root Cellaring - Natural Cold Storage of Fruits and Vegetables" by Mike and Nancy Bubel. It is perhaps more useful for storing root vegetable crops but it has some very unique ways of doing it which may spark an idea.

If the OP is asking mostly for canned goods then I would look into ways to incorporate them into your decor. Under beds, behind couches, unused closet space etc. first and then look at storing in an underground unit. I suppose if you are talking about storing at a BOL and there is no building that would mean something else altogether.
0 x
(`'•.¸(`'•.¸ ¸.•'´) ¸.•'´)
*´¨`•.¸¸Anita <>< *.•´¸¸¨`*
(¸.•'´(¸.•'´ `'•.¸)`' •.¸)
¸.•´
( `•.¸
`•.¸ )
¸.•)´
(.•´

Quack, Cluck, Moo, Hee-Haw, Meow and Baaaaaaa from Shalom Engedi Farm
http://adventures-in-country-living.blogspot.com/

Mule Skinner
Canada

Postby Mule Skinner » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm

My friend uses cement septic tanks buried below the frost line with a vertical sewer pipe for an entrance
The pipe cover is just below grade in one of his sheds that has a dirt floor
I myself being single am careful about weight so I use as much freeze dried or dehydrated stuff as I can
As with others I am only about 35 yards from the lake for water so that is not a problem
0 x
[b]We live in a society of wolves ,
We can't fight back by creating more sheep[/b]

Return to “Canadian Preparedness and Survival Resources”