• Advertisement

oddball prep items to consider

Post links to Preparedness and Survival Resources in Canada.
Goldie
Canada

oddball prep items to consider

Postby Goldie » Wed May 14, 2014 4:04 pm

I thought me might have an oddball prep list started to share ideas of
items that are different from the usual lists

One such item:

- microscope
0 x

Captain_Ambiguous

Re: oddball prep items to consider

Postby Captain_Ambiguous » Wed May 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Lockable gas tank cap. Unless you want to watch your car 24/7.
0 x

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Thu May 15, 2014 1:29 am

***FIRE EXTINGUISHERS AND A FIRE PLAN FOR NOW AND LATER***
-Protective goggles (work/garden, military action)
-Neck&face protection / respiratory mask (dust, work, smoke)
-Sunscreen/sunscreen herbs/sunburn herbs

-Tube + H2O2 for animal poisoning treatment
-Heartgard & Frontline, generics
-Kitty-safe allergy med, pain med & stomach med
-Inflatible doggy life vests or flotation aid vests for pets

-Photos turned into puzzles, small sentimental and silly gifts to alleviate stress and celebrate families
-Miniature stockings & tiny paper bags for holiday treats
-Holiday/theme molds for Jell-O & candies

-Gladrags/moon cups
-Enough hankies for everybody to go through the equivalent of a box of Kleenex for 3-5 days without doing laundry
-suspenders for weight loss

-Flare rounds for 12-ga and .45 firearms

-Test kits for soil macro & micronutrients (pH tests can be done with household items)
-Well test kits

Eclectic enough? Mostly it's stuff I either see overlooked or that fit in strange categories. :)
0 x

kootenay kid
Canada

Postby kootenay kid » Thu May 15, 2014 1:31 am

Alo vera jell for sunburn,etc.
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Thu May 15, 2014 5:02 am

Bobbi PIns
0 x

Knuckle

Postby Knuckle » Thu May 15, 2014 7:01 am

MrsPrepwPets wrote:-Enough hankies for everybody to go through the equivalent of a box of Kleenex for 3-5 days without doing laundry

Is it just me or do others really know people who use snot rags? I've seen it on TV but can't say I've ever seen anyone packing one and offer it to someone else to blow their contents into :lol: I have enough trouble trying to get friends and customers to use the washroom at my shop instead of pissing outside my business! :x :roll: I figure even I'll use the "plug and blow" method (when I run outa paper towels) before I start washing snot rags once a week 8-)

And all I can think of to consider maybe an oddball item is night vision goggles (that I really couldn't justify to the wife no-how!)
0 x

Syn

Postby Syn » Thu May 15, 2014 10:19 am

Vetwrap for medical use and everything else you can imagine when you dont need a tape to stick like duct tape.
0 x

farmgal
Canada

Postby farmgal » Thu May 15, 2014 11:00 am

i have and use hankies as does many many members of my family, they still sell them in numbers at stores.
0 x
http://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/

MrsPrepwPets

Postby MrsPrepwPets » Thu May 15, 2014 12:14 pm

Knuckle wrote:Is it just me or do others really know people who use snot rags? ... I figure even I'll use the "plug and blow" method (when I run outa paper towels) before I start washing snot rags once a week

I and about a dozen professors and activists use them in the woods and walking, using tissue at the house or school. My parents still use them extensively. I have a certain color bandana set aside for my nose and the dogs, but several shooters just have a designated pocket they remember and then wash them.

The # days/tissue point is for severe colds and flu, because in many cases we're looking at being somewhat isolated but in close contact within households. Once contact is made or a germ enters elsewhere, it will spread and nobody who has ever for-real had the flu is going to be interested in doing much laundry daily or every few days.

I rarely have enough time to get across a room when I have to sneeze, let alone outside, and in winter and heavy rain, I'm not going to want to go out every time I have to blow my nose. Nor am I interested in a snot spitoon in major rooms of my house. Personal preferences.

Cloth and some pine sol, bleach or at last resort boiling in willow water, other antiviral and antiseptic herbs, or just boiling will kill off germs, and then they can be scrubbed on a board or in a plunger bucket, or if somebody is still running a washer.
It's renewable, and a month's supply for four takes up a lot less space than one-off paper products that then have to be properly disposed of one way or another (there's several sanitary options). As a last resort, there's always t-shirts and sheets.

Being a greenie, I've gone to reuseable cloth products for a lot of things. I do still carry some disposable hand wipes and tissue in my bag, mostly for things that aren't my body.
Even at the house, you have to reach past the stack of sponges and thin dish towels to get to a roll of paper towels, to encourage the non-environmentalist Mr. P.
I have no-iron cloth napkins, too. I'm not wild about them going in the microwave, but it shows his progress/attempt to please me, so I just keep my mouth shut and he gets the hero treatment when he uses the wrong stack as a napkin or towel. :)
0 x

Goldie
Canada

Postby Goldie » Thu May 15, 2014 1:31 pm

Diaper Pins

They are good for lots of things
0 x

Return to “Canadian Preparedness and Survival Resources”