• Advertisement

Eat Bugs not Cats

Post links to Preparedness and Survival Resources in Canada.
TorontoGrl

Re: Eat Bugs not Cats

Postby TorontoGrl » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:29 am

Not for Vegans, nothing with a face or anything that had a mother :)

BUT

If I'm desperate, I'd go for crickets, at least 11% protein :)
0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:54 am

do worms have faces?
0 x

DaScribbler
Canada

Postby DaScribbler » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 am

This thread has been here for quite awhile but this is the first time I've looked at it and I was almost sick reading some the bugs we can eat...

Eating bugs is a great idea for survival as they out number us likely millions to one so a vast supply of edible protien will always be available to us. But, I'm not sure I would be able to get past my initial revolution.

I hope I never have to actively persue this sort of diet.
0 x
DaScribbler

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:45 am

DaScribbler wrote:This thread has been here for quite awhile but this is the first time I've looked at it and I was almost sick reading some the bugs we can eat...

Eating bugs is a great idea for survival as they out number us likely millions to one so a vast supply of edible protien will always be available to us. But, I'm not sure I would be able to get past my initial revolution.

I hope I never have to actively persue this sort of diet.

In some parts of the world this is the normal diet. I got rather upset the first time I saw deep fried seahorses on a stick. I got angry when I heard the reason for the near disappearance of some critters is due to human consumption. I would like to believe I would draw the line at somethings but unless I was walking in the shoes of those who do without I will never know.
0 x

martha

Postby martha » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 am

Update on my worms: they seem to be doing well, but I have to admit they don't look all that appetizing... I think it would be much easier to eat grasshoppers, esp cause that's in the Bible. In addition to the meal worms & King worms, I also got my redworms for composting & toileting. I've noticed a few fruit flies in the house & I pray to God i don't get another infestation... Nevertheless, I will forge on, because I want to be prepared, I want to diversify my potential foodsources, and mostly because I want easy - microlivestock, no mucking out stalls, no veterinary bills, no getting attached & then having to slaughter an affectionate animal. I've done a lot of poking around on the internet now on the topic of food insects and realize that eating insects is commonplace in vast areas of the globe. Whether or not it is appealing, I plan to make insect rearing and eating a permanent part of my lifestyle period. Oldschool, thanks for the warning, really... I'm still a female, I'd rather not get startled by an ugly little worm biting at me. Might pm you later for some advice, thanks for the offer.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:37 am

martha wrote:Update on my worms: they seem to be doing well, but I have to admit they don't look all that appetizing... I think it would be much easier to eat grasshoppers, esp cause that's in the Bible. In addition to the meal worms & King worms, I also got my redworms for composting & toileting. I've noticed a few fruit flies in the house & I pray to God i don't get another infestation... Nevertheless, I will forge on, because I want to be prepared, I want to diversify my potential foodsources, and mostly because I want easy - microlivestock, no mucking out stalls, no veterinary bills, no getting attached & then having to slaughter an affectionate animal. I've done a lot of poking around on the internet now on the topic of food insects and realize that eating insects is commonplace in vast areas of the globe. Whether or not it is appealing, I plan to make insect rearing and eating a permanent part of my lifestyle period. Oldschool, thanks for the warning, really... I'm still a female, I'd rather not get startled by an ugly little worm biting at me. Might pm you later for some advice, thanks for the offer.

I haven't been bitten often but some people are sensitive to the bite. Green horned worms and silk worms have a higher nutrient value but I have yet to figure out how to breed them at home. Green horned worms there is also the risk if they get out they can do major crop damage. I still remember helping my grandfather at night with a flash light and a can of gas picking the green horned worms off the tomato plants.

I think fish are still a better choice for humans. I am doing the breeding thing for my critters.
0 x

martha

Postby martha » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:33 pm

Oldschool
I'd much rather go with fish, but I'm concerned about keeping their water from freezing in the winter. I'm in the city and barely have the home heating figured out... I just got a book on aquaponics. so will read up more & as my systems are figured out, perhaps raising fish will be in the future. In the meantime, in case the shtf before I can figure a better sustainable protein source, I wanted to grab anything easy, doable & sustainable now, lest I end up with nothing. Have you eaten bugs?
0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Actually everyone alive has eaten bugs in the past and will so in the future. They are in almost all of our food, land in our food etc.

Some people eat them alive, personally I am not into that, though have had them dried up, ground up as part of a meat replacement. The original links show a bunch of resources so I would start there. Personally I believe aquaponics, permaculture and certain bugs will be the future for most of us, whether we want it to be or not.
0 x

oldschool
Canada

Postby oldschool » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:13 pm

martha wrote:Oldschool
I'd much rather go with fish, but I'm concerned about keeping their water from freezing in the winter. I'm in the city and barely have the home heating figured out... I just got a book on aquaponics. so will read up more & as my systems are figured out, perhaps raising fish will be in the future. In the meantime, in case the shtf before I can figure a better sustainable protein source, I wanted to grab anything easy, doable & sustainable now, lest I end up with nothing. Have you eaten bugs?

A long time ago I tried grasshoppers, crickets and ants. The grasshoppers and crickets were crisp but I don't know if they fried or just dried. No real taste that I can remember. Ants were the small ones based on a dare lol.
0 x

WildernessReturn

Postby WildernessReturn » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Here is a permalink to a Bug Eating festival
http://foragersdigest.com/edible-insect ... 23rd-2012/

lots of folks out there
0 x

Return to “Canadian Preparedness and Survival Resources”